The Best Of Radiohead to be released on 2 June !!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
If you substituted "Radiohead" for "U2" and put this thread in EYKIW, the reaction would be exactly the opposite.

Only difference is that this is EMI's release and not Radiohead's, whereas U2 are such cash whores at this point that I imagine we'll have 4 more "Best Ofs" by the end of the decade.
Right...just like the last two Best of's were well accepted by U2 fans.

I was laughing because I can still remember lots of posts saying "ha ha U2! Radiohead will NEVER do a Best of, and you have 3 of those already".
Both U2:18 and this Best of happened because the bands left their label.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Right...just like the last two Best of's were well accepted by U2 fans.

I was laughing because I can still remember lots of posts saying "ha ha U2! Radiohead will NEVER do a Best of, and you have 3 of those already".
Both U2:18 and this Best of happened because the bands left their label.
Yeah, well, technically... Radiohead themselves didn't do a Best Of, while U2 signed a contract for two of them. I've never heard from a single member of U2 any complaint about the U2:18 compilation.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Semantics. Bottom line is label Best of-ed both bands, contract or not.

How exactly do you complain about a contractual obligation ? Song collection fan opinion aside, what is the issue of any artist compiling their Best of ? I hope most bands can do that.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:53 AM
radiohead had nothing to do with this

EMI
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Do you realize that you are one of the few abnormal people (maybe even the only one) in the world with this opinion???
Yeah, it baffles me too. How an album of such downright average-ness could be held in such high esteem .

In all fairness though (trying to put my bias aside), and I'm talking about the best of proper (single cd), it has to be said that it probably weighs too heavily to The Bends and leaves out a few too many crackers from other albums.

This is, if I was an EMI rep who wanted to encapsulate the band's career, what I'd include on the Best Of (not a tracklisting):

Creep

Fake Plastic Trees
High & Dry
Just

Talk Show Host

Paranoid Android
No Surprises
Karma Police
Lucky

Idioteque
How To Disappear Completely
Everything In It's Right Place

Pyramid Song

2+2=5
There There
Go To Sleep

Cutooth
Fog

I dunno what My Iron Lung's doing on the real best of?!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

EMI
You said it...

You know, I don't even have a problem with the Best Ofs 1980 - 2000 or whatever. U2 had reached a point in their career where they had a substantial back catalogue of singles and could do this. I don't agree with U2:18 though, that was too much (yes, I bought it )

When it comes to RH, they have been in the business long enough that a Best Of is not a problem imo, what I don't like in this case is:

a. this is an obvious money grab by EMI with no input from the band and it shows...

b. there is no added value for most standard RH fans to purchase this. U2 at least released b-sides along with the Best-Ofs that some of us didn't have already. Hell, even the special edition of U2:18 came with a live DVD. What do you get with these?

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Cutooth
Fog
I agree with Fog although I would use the original version and not the piano version (Reminds me of christmas music for some reason)...

But Cutooth? Really? Not only are these two tracks off the same single there are other stronger "B-Sides" out there imo like the already included True Love Waits or Gagging Order...
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #52
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Semantics. Bottom line is label Best of-ed both bands, contract or not.

How exactly do you complain about a contractual obligation ? Song collection fan opinion aside, what is the issue of any artist compiling their Best of ? I hope most bands can do that.
Why am I getting involved here? It's no secret I don't like Radiohead and think the only songs they've ever recorded that are worth the time of day are Idioteque and Electioneering. But your post is just ridiculous and reeks of a "ha ha I told you so" attitude that is misrepresenting the facts.

Let's outline this as clearly as possible. Hopefully what I recall from what I've read about Radiohead's situation is accurate - I'm sure someone can correct me if I've made an error.

U2: Personally authorised three Best Ofs. Signed a contract to release them; a contract unrelated to their album contracts. As they own the rights to all their music, a Best Of cannot be released without their express approval.

Radiohead: Did NOT authorise this Best Of. Their contracts were for albums, and to speak of contractual obligations to release a Best Of is misleading. EMI, however, owns the rights to the music on said albums and thus can do whatever they like with it - including, as in this case, a Best Of. The band's opinion is irrelevant; if they don't support it (as posters on this thread have indicated), then that's really just too bad.

You can't compare the situations.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #53
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
see, now this is the funny thing

of course Radiohead did have to do with it

as they always knew this was going to happen
the decision is to be involved or not to be involved
having nothing to do with it is not an option

the artist's options are to stay clear of it because you can't be bothered, you don't give a shite or you're ok with whatever the record company is gonna release
or you try to get involved and then at least you're partly to blame for yet another best of album

as this makes perfect sense I'll guess that everyone agrees with me
even though people are ugly and generally just don't get it
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
I don't agree with U2:18 though, that was too much (yes, I bought it )
You don't agree with U2:18 and yet you bought it??? x infinity
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You don't agree with U2:18 and yet you bought it??? x infinity
oh please! like you don't have two copies at home!

ETA: my point was that there was some added value at least with U2:18, I bought the Special Edition with the Milan DVD...

As a fan, if you give me something extra that I wouldn't necessarily be able to get myself I will be more likely to buy it and I think that would go for most of us, or am I alone on this?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
oh please! like you don't have two copies at home!
No I don't.

U2 basically threw in a couple of mediocre new songs and a half assed dvd from the recent tour to get all the hardcore fans to buy it. If they had any consideration for the hardcore fans' hard earned money, they would have released the Milan dvd in it's entirety seperately.

New songs do not belong in Greatest Hits or Best Of compilations! GH or Best Ofs should be strictly used to get new people interested in the music, that's it! Don't try to get even more money from people who have always fucking bought your stuff anyway!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No I don't.

U2 basically threw in a couple of mediocre new songs and a half assed dvd from the recent tour to get all the hardcore fans to buy it. If they had any consideration for the hardcore fans' hard earned money, they would have released the Milan dvd in it's entirety seperately.

New songs do not belong in Greatest Hits or Best Of compilations! GH or Best Ofs should be strictly used to get new people interested in the music, that's it! Don't try to get even more money from people who have always fucking bought your stuff anyway!
fair enough but if you were given the choice of purchasing the current Radiohead Best Of or a version which included B-Sides or (god forbid) a live DVD, which one would you go for?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
fair enough but if you were given the choice of purchasing the current Radiohead Best Of or a version which included B-Sides or (god forbid) a live DVD, which one would you go for?
I won't even bother with it! But the deluxe version would be tempting I agree. This is how they get us!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #59
The Fly

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
see, now this is the funny thing

of course Radiohead did have to do with it

as they always knew this was going to happen
So if I know that the United States of America is going to elect or re-elect their president in 2012, I have something to do with it?

If I know that it's likely going to rain tomorrow, I have something to do with it?

If I know that U2 hasn't released their last best-of album yet, I am to blame?

No, you're right. I don't get it. I am not ugly, though.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 AM
I love when people get bent out of shape over 'best of's, it cracks me up...