The Best of Joy Divison (2 Discs Special)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
joydivision.jpg

I am starting to really get into Joy Division. Is this album good? I am happy that it features such hits as "Disorder," "She's Lost Control," and "New Dawn Fades." But maybe it's a "grab bag" and Unknown Pleasures represents them as a band better. I don't know. :shrug: Thoughts?

They only have two albums. Either pick up Unknown Pleasures and Closer or, if you want a collection, pick up Substance.

Cute Irish Bono said:
joydivision.jpg

I am starting to really get into Joy Division. Is this album good? I am happy that it features such hits as "Disorder," "She's Lost Control," and "New Dawn Fades." But maybe it's a "grab bag" and Unknown Pleasures represents them as a band better. I don't know. :shrug: Thoughts?

I said I wasn't gonna buy it (cause they only had two albums proper), but did anyway, which is my first Joy Division purchase.....
it's sweet, hearing some songs I've heard but never knew the names of......

It's just great to have compilation if I need to hear myself some Joy Division from time to time.

I'll probably buyUnknown Pleasures eventually anyway.....being a classic album, just something that I never got 'round to doing and then this compilation was released.....

Top sig by the way. Blur's 'Far Out' is a top tune.

I don't know why anyone would buy the Best Of for a band that only has 2 albums out. For rarities maybe?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't know why anyone would buy the Best Of for a band that only has 2 albums out. For rarities maybe?

I did just cause I wanted meself some Joy Division....and this has LWTUA, Transmission and Atmosphere, which are all anthems which weren't on the album.

It's a fair-enough compilation when you consider that factor.

I'd never seen it in music stores. It's quite expensive as well......would be a an enjoyable investment, but I wouldn't part with that money as a first sampling of Joy-Divvy.

Problem is, once you've sampled through a Best Of, what's the next step? Get the albums where you already have half the songs on them?

The whole thing doesn't make much sense to me, but that's okay, it's probably a cracker.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Problem is, once you've sampled through a Best Of, what's the next step? Get the albums where you already have half the songs on them?

The whole thing doesn't make much sense to me, but that's okay, it's probably a cracker.

It is. And it is kinda pointless, but it still satisfies.

Would I get the albums when I've already heard 'alf the songs on them. Yeah probably, but that's nothing new. Didn't stop me from buying every U2 album after I'd bought the best of's.

Probably just worth it to get the tracks off of iTunes or something instead of buying the albums again.

Sure, it's not a hard copy, but you save money in the long run.

I am still sorrowful that Ian ended his life so quickly. If he didn't, there would be more Joy Division material. :( The Joy Division legacy would of increased but it still lives on!

Thanks for your help guys.

Well LMP, that's pretty much what I posted in the first place...what's the point of all these best ofs for Joy Division when they only had two albums, but it all really comes down to money in the end so :shrug:

bono_212 said:
Well LMP, that's pretty much what I posted in the first place...what's the point of all these best ofs for Joy Division when they only had two albums, but it all really comes down to money in the end so :shrug:

But rarities and bootlegs are cool too. Some of U2's best songs are rare like, Mercy, Always, North and South of the River, etc. But you are right, it comes down to the money, bono_212.

Cute Irish Bono said:
I am still sorrowful that Ian ended his life so quickly. If he didn't, there would be more Joy Division material. :( The Joy Division legacy would of increased but it still lives on!

Thanks for your help guys.

I've said this before, but I can't imagine a world without New Order's music in it.

So I can't really be that upset about Curtis' untimely demise.

lazarus said:

I've said this before, but I can't imagine a world without New Order's music in it.

I love New Order too. So, I guess, something good came out of something bad. :) But Joy Division only released two albums. I wish they were around for a little while longer. I wonder what they would of come up with.

bono_212 said:

True, but I must've skipped over your post. It was a cracking one though.

lazarus said:

The World just wouldn't be In Motion...

But it does raise the question as to whether New Order were in some respects a continuation of where Joy Division were headed.....their first album is still kinda dark.....

i'd suggest to someone if they're trying to get into joy division, since they have such a relatively small discography, to have someone who's got everything to make them a one disc cd. see if they like what they hear. then if they do, buy heart and soul. that's really the definitive release of course, but this way you don't have to waste money buying anything else to make sure you're not just going to like a few songs.

and if you find you only like the hits...then you can go buy a cheaper compilation :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'd suggest to someone if they're trying to get into joy division, since they have such a relatively small discography, to have someone who's got everything to make them a one disc cd. see if they like what they hear. then if they do, buy heart and soul. that's really the definitive release of course, but this way you don't have to waste money buying anything else to make sure you're not just going to like a few songs.

and if you find you only like the hits...then you can go buy a cheaper compilation :)

Good call. I recommend the same to someone getting into Velvet Underground; pick out a CD's worth of songs and if you like them, get Peel Slowly And See. It saves money.

LemonMacPhisto said:

True, but I must've skipped over your post. It was a cracking one though.

No I realize I edited it out. I was just saying that I wasn't going to say anything, but then you said pretty much what I was going to say, so I decided to say it after all...:huh: does that make any sense?

bono_212 said:

No I realize I edited it out. I was just saying that I wasn't going to say anything, but then you said pretty much what I was going to say, so I decided to say it after all...:huh: does that make any sense?

Yes...but it's pretty late over here.

LemonMelon said:
Good call. I recommend the same to someone getting into Velvet Underground; pick out a CD's worth of songs and if you like them, get Peel Slowly And See. It saves money.
:yes: come to think of it, i need to steal peel slowly and see from someone :hmm:

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but.... you can get both albums and Substance or Still (I recommend Substance, which would essentially give you everything of theirs you'd want that wasn't on the albums) for just a few dollars more (at least in the US, I've seen them priced the same brand new as used CDs numerous times at numerous different stores) than buying this 2 disc "best of". That's 3 full cds of material, and the albums as their actually meant to be.

EDIT: Looking at the tracklist, this is hardly even a "2 disc" best of. The second disc is almost entirely made up of Peel Sessions tracks and an interview (to draw in the collectors). Why not just buy one of the old cheap 1 disc best of's if you're that lazy or non-committal to their catalog?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom