The Best Bands ever are in my opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
1.U2
Yea makes sense eh
2.The Rolling Stones
Also makes sense
3.The Clash
4.Thin Lizzy
5.The Beatles
6.Bob and The Wailers
21.My band by the way we'll be going.............. i think

So how bout all you guys then?

I'll start from number 2... :wink:

2. Led Zeppelin
3.The Beatles
4. Pink Floyd
5. Queen
6.Radiohead
Coldplay, Muse, Jimi Hendrix Exp., Rolling Stones, Dire Straits...

In no specific order as it changes too frequently, some are added, some are removed, some move up and down:

1. U2
2. The Police
3. The Who
4. The Kinks
5. Pink Floyd
6. Radiohead
7. Bob Marley (and especially the Wailers)
8. The Beatles
9. Tragically Hip (a great Canadian rock band)
10. Them/Van Morrison

currently listening to: Red Hot Chili Peppers Greatest Hits.

Last edited:
1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. REM
4. The Who
5. The Rolling Stones
6. The Clash
7. The Ramones
8. The Police
9. The Beach Boys
10. Led Zeppelin

Throw in Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Television, The Sex Pistols, Genesis, etc.

:wave:

I am going to cheat and seperate modern rock from classic rock. I am completely unable to compare the two.

Modern Rock

1. U2
2. Radiohead
3. Coldplay
4. REM
5. Wilco
6. Pearl Jam
7. The White Stripes
8. Dave Matthews Band
9. Interpol (at least for the moment)
10. Either NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Beck, or Beastie Boys

Classic Rock

1. Rolling Stones
2. Led Zeppelin
3. The Beatles
4. Pink Floyd
5. Bob Dylan
6. Bruce Springsteen
7. The Who
8. Eric Clapton/Cream
9. CCR
10. Jimi Hendrix
11. The Doors
12. Bob Marley

God I am so relieved to see not one mention of the bloody Smiths on these top ten's. Go to murmurs.com and there top tens are dominated by the smiths and most of them rate the smiths as the best band ever! Yeah I know UNBELIEVABLE!!!!:ohmy:

rjhbonovox said:
God I am so relieved to see not one mention of the bloody Smiths on these top ten's. Go to murmurs.com and there top tens are dominated by the smiths and most of them rate the smiths as the best band ever! Yeah I know UNBELIEVABLE!!!!:ohmy:

actually, it's quite believeable. it's the smiths, people like the smiths. i like them, not top 10-wise, but they were a good fucking band. there are people here who like them, just as there are most definetly people who hate your 9 out of your top 10. hell, i probably hate a bunch of your favorite bands, but do you see me thanking everyone that they didn't list ____??

to quote my buddy u2popmofo (a big smiths fan, in fact), music taste is 100% personal preference.

why the hell does every newbie who finds bang and clatter feel the need to tell us (in seperate threads, that's the part that bugs me) their favorite bands? can't you just list them off in the journal option or something?

My Top Seven:

U2
Duran Duran
Radiohead
Coldplay
Queen
Doves
Sigur Ros

After that I'm not sure.

IWasBored said:

actually, it's quite believeable. it's the smiths, people like the smiths. i like them, not top 10-wise, but they were a good fucking band. there are people here who like them, just as there are most definetly people who hate your 9 out of your top 10. hell, i probably hate a bunch of your favorite bands, but do you see me thanking everyone that they didn't list ____??

to quote my buddy u2popmofo (a big smiths fan, in fact), music taste is 100% personal preference.

why the hell does every newbie who finds bang and clatter feel the need to tell us (in seperate threads, that's the part that bugs me) their favorite bands? can't you just list them off in the journal option or something?

While I tend to agree with your point about The Smiths, I wonder why such vitriol about favorite bands. One does not get 18,000+ posts (an average of slightly more than 26 posts per day) and nearly 200 threads started on only "important" topics.

If you think others should chill about The Smiths, perhaps you should chill about favorite bands and/or the way others choose to post.

But I like The Cure better than The Smiths, and of course The Church blows them all away, although The The has a great name.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

:applaud:

indra said:

While I tend to agree with your point about The Smiths, I wonder why such vitriol about favorite bands. One does not get 18,000+ posts (an average of slightly more than 26 posts per day) and nearly 200 threads started on only "important" topics.

If you think others should chill about The Smiths, perhaps you should chill about favorite bands and/or the way others choose to post.

But I like The Cure better than The Smiths, and of course The Church blows them all away, although The The has a great name.

the issue wasn't with the threads i start, but i'm well aware of the fact that i've never started an important thread here. but by the same token i don't start threads everytime i have an altering of my list of top 10 favorite bands.

i don't care who likes what band, and i don't need to "chill" about anything. it's the repetitive nature...can't you just scroll down and find the last thread with similar lists and post them there?

i'm not looking for a fight, if i wanted one of those, i'd go out and get myself into a real one.

indra said:

Yeah he was a bit harsh with me.......still find it absolutely unbelievable though that some people would rate The Smiths as the best band ever. Obviously there have to be one or two out there that love them but you look on Murmurs site and all the REM fans reckon there the bees knees. Still heres my top 3 -

U2
Jimi Hendrix
Radiohead

and an honourable mention for REM(1992-1999RIP), Prince(1984-1994RIP), Queen, Yes, Boston, Simple Minds & Manic Street Preachers(really like their 96 & 98 albums).:wink:

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

Yeah he was a bit harsh with me.......still find it absolutely unbelievable though that some people would rate The Smiths as the best band ever. Obviously there have to be one or two out there that love them but you look on Murmurs site and all the REM fans reckon there the bees knees. Still heres my top 3 -

U2
Jimi Hendrix
Radiohead

and an honourable mention for REM(1992-1999RIP), Prince(1984-1994RIP), Queen, Yes, Boston, Simple Minds & Manic Street Preachers(really like their 96 & 98 albums).:wink:

:shrug: u2kitten felt/feels the same way about coldplay and this site. so what.

Although I added a list to this topic, my personal tastes entirely subjective to the moment. All of the bands mentioned (and hundreds not mentioned) so far could be in my top 10.

Someone will probably read this topic and wonder "why the Kinks?". Well, there you go. :)

IWasBored said:

the issue wasn't with the threads i start, but i'm well aware of the fact that i've never started an important thread here. but by the same token i don't start threads everytime i have an altering of my list of top 10 favorite bands.

i don't care who likes what band, and i don't need to "chill" about anything. it's the repetitive nature...can't you just scroll down and find the last thread with similar lists and post them there?

i'm not looking for a fight, if i wanted one of those, i'd go out and get myself into a real one.

And I've been bitched out for finding older threads and bringing them back to life, even though they do get loads of attention from people who missed them the first time around. Therefore, it is far safer to always begin new threads.

And those who say "I don't need to chill about anything" are precisely the ones who do. You were rude and for no real reason.

indra said:

And I've been bitched out for finding older threads and bringing them back to life, even though they do get loads of attention from people who missed them the first time around. Therefore, it is far safer to always begin new threads.

And those who say "I don't need to chill about anything" are precisely the ones who do. You were rude and for no real reason.

no, the mods don't like it when you dig up a 6-month old thread. i'm talking about something on the bottom of page 1, or somewhere on page 2. i've never seen a mod close a thread for being 1 month old and bumped for a legit reason. but i'm not a mod, so it doesn't matter what i say.

whatever. it's just more proof that people here take things too personally.

1. U2
2. Guns N' Roses
3. The Cure

These 3 bands are an absolute constant in that order. Though U2 and Gn'R have quite the gap between themselves and The Cure. Gn'R and U2 are pretty close but U2 always comes out on top due to the depth of the songs and overal diversity of the band. The songs mean more(shocking I know). Though I do tend to lean more towards Guns N' Roses after I have a few "Pops" in me:eyebrow:

Others I apprecaite:

David Usher/Moist
The Rolling Stones
Radiohead
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Soul Asylum

Among others

Mods dont like it when you resurrect old threads, or start the same thread as one on page 2. Mods are indecisive pains in the arse. no pleasing them.

Bush
INXS
REM
Hunters & Collectors

1. U2 (obviously)
2. The Beatles
3. The Stones
4. Bruce Springsteen (even though he isnt a band, I guess the E Streeters count!! ;) )
5. The Police
6. The Clash

Bands I like as much as 2 through 6 above but probebly wont or aren't considered legends at this point would be:

1. Coldplay
2. Simple Minds
3. Van Halen (some would consider them legends, but probebly not many on this board!! LOL :) )

Last edited:
Now you see this is my point exactly. The top tens that are here are all near enough with LEGENDS in them and these groups deserve to be called LEGENDS. But what I'm asking do these people who put The Smiths in there top ten and even in there top5 really believe that they are LEGENDS(look on murmurs.com they all rate them no1 group of all time). Some of these gropus that are legends I don't really like (The Police, The Beatles etc) but I can concede that these groups deserve my respect because what they have achieved.

I suppose I will have upset "IWasBored" with these comments and therefore get a load of verbal abuse but I am just writing my opinions.:wink:

i don't get why legendary status based on what some so-called professional music critics say has anything to do with the top 10 best bands in YOU OPINION...but if you're going to take it into account, then fine by me. i don't give a fuck if you stay closeminded.

if you consider anything i said in this thread to be a load of verbal abuse, you need to not take things so personally.

Whose on about critics I am on about the commercial success of these bands over a period of time, and sustaining this success over a period of time. Can The Smiths really be called legends with what they achieved? It amazes me how also some so called critics go on about The Stone Roses being Legends. What did they ever do? 2 albums, 1 a flop, mmmmmm legendary I very much doubt it. Abba deserve to be more known as legends than The Smiths.

yeah, but why the should that make them a better band? because they had more commercial success? that's ridiculous, yet that's what it sounds like you're saying. hell, britney spears is putting a "best of" (best of what?), isn't she? by your arguement she's more legit to be a favorite than a band who didn't achieve that massive level of popularity.

Obviously missing my point all together by mentioning Britney Spears. How long has she been around and how many successful albums has she had, I'm not on about shifting a few copies of singles here, I'm on about selling albums, year after year. Madonnas legendary, can't stand her music though(except the Ray Of Light stuff, best thing she ever did). All I'm saying is, if some people think that The Smiths are the best group the world has EVER seen, then I must be living on a different planet with my head up my arse or something!

Back
Top Bottom