The Best Album I've Never Heard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
I've got SUCH a hankering for good new stuff, and Top 40 just isn't helping me out. I've "met" Poe recently, and Guster. :up: Ani Defranco is an unappreciated gem. But what else is out there that's NEW? Any U2 quality bands hiding out there?

What's the best album I've never heard? :)

sd

Jellyfish-Spilt Milk.

A blend of Queen-Beatles-Badfinger. Really good stuff, a production to die for one of my top 10 albums of all time. Jellyfish broke up in 94, but this thing is timeless. You can usually find it cheap.

If you like Poe and Ani DiFranco, then I'd recommend "The American" by Angie Aparo. I think you can listen to most of it (if not all) on his website:

www.angieaparo.com

Just look under the "songs" tab at the top of the page. The American is one of my top ten favorite albums ever.

I'd start with the songs
Wonderland
Spaceship
Beautiful
The American
Swell

Last edited:
Get Pass in Time: The Definitive Collection, by Beth Orton. It's a lovely introduction to her work with a second disc that is actually worth including.

Or get Air's new album, Talkie Walkie.

Good to hear that you are exploring new music, I have two suggestions based on what you have said, try the Aussie band Epicure, try downloading there song 'Armies against me'. Also try another Australian artist called Alex Lloyd, I really like his new album, 'Distant Light' but maybe first try downloading the song 'My way home' which is from his first album.....

oh and if you like Ani DiFranco then you have to check out Ember Swift. I have seen her play live a couple of times and I have seen Ani live too and I personally feel that Ember shits all over Ani and is a much better musician, lyricist and activist. There musical styles are extrememly similar, try getting your hands on Ember's new album 'Stiltwalking' I am positive that you will love this:wink:

here is a link to her site,
http://www.emberswift.com/v2/

:heart:Starsailor:heart: -- Silence Is Easy (or Love Is Here....I can't decide which I like best, but I think SIE is more immediate)
Ed Harcourt -- From Every Sphere
Doves -- Lost Souls
Doves -- The Last Broadcast
Idlewild -- The Remote Part
Elbow -- Asleep In the Back
Gemma Hayes -- Night on My Side
The Delgados -- Hate

most of those should be easy to find. :)

Ooh, I have many thoughts...:) A couple:

Starsailor: "Love is Here" is their first album, and "Silence is Easy" is the second. SIE is probably more immediate in terms of likeability for someone unfamiliar with them. Still, NOTHING compares to them live. Just saw them a bit ago in DC with DiGi, his brother (who is on here from time to time), and Dizzy (who also is on here sometimes, but i haven't seen her in a bit :scratch: ). I'm sure they'll attest to the greatness. :D

The Frames: "Set List" is amazing. You need it. They are Irish, very fun, also AMAZING live....

I like the new Bellx1 album "Music in Mouth," as well as the new Snow Patrol one "Final Straw."

Anything Idlewild, Doves, Elbow, Ed Harcourt, Neil Halstead...oops, I'm going beyond my self-imposed limit. :shifty:

Last edited:
meegannie said:
:heart:Starsailor:heart: -- Silence Is Easy (or Love Is Here....I can't decide which I like best, but I think SIE is more immediate)
Ed Harcourt -- From Every Sphere
Doves -- Lost Souls
Elbow -- Asleep In the Back
The Delgados -- Hate
:lol: Great minds...I swear I wrote my reply before you posted... :laugh:
I second all Megan's here, as well as the Beth Orton rec (Pass in Time is great, but it doesn't have my FAVORITE song on it, "Feel to Believe." The album "Central Reservation" is worth it too for that song. ;) )

:hyper:

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

I'll toss in a few rec's

If you haven't tried John Wesley Harding's "Confessions of St. Ace", treat yourself. The Thorn's self-titled album is great, and I'm really digging on my friend Geni's mix of Spock's Beard.

:yes:

sd

dropkick murphys--do or die
bad religion--

american lesion is probably the best album you've never heard that you'd actually LIKE (that i can reccomend) though

i'm assuming you have heard it, but in case you haven't...

the pogues--if i should fall from grace with god

how can you not love that album?

I pretty much agree with what Megan and Jenn posted. Without question go get The Remote Part by Idlewild.

StarSailor - Silence is Easy
Doves -- Lost Souls
Elbow -- Asleep In the Back or Cast of Thousands
The Delgados -- Hate
The Frame - Set List
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Badly Drawn Boy - Have you fed the fish?
The Long Winters - When I pretend to Fall
Ben Harper - it does not matter what you get the guy rules
Grandaddy - Sumday
The Polyphonic Spree - The Beginning Stages of.........
Social Distortion - Live at the Roxy

The Delgados are coming to the area on March 30th. They will be at the Black Cat. I cannot wait for this show.

Last edited:
I'll agree with a few things that have been said:

Idlewild - 'The Remote Part'
Grandaddy - Either: 'Sumday' or 'The Sophtware Slump'
The Shins - Either album, they're both EXTREMELY solid

My own 2 cents:

Postal Service - 'Give Up'
Interpol - 'Turn on the Bright Lights'
The Smiths - any of their compilations, it's sad most people havent heard them
Pixies - 'Doolittle' (you may have heard this, most people havent though)
Jurassic 5 - 'Quality Control' (if you're even remotely interested in hip hop)
AFI - 'Sing the Sorrow' (if you're remotely interested in harder rocking stuf)
Bouncing Souls - 'Ancher's Aweigh' (if you're remotely intersted in the punk genre)

Last edited:
:drool:

Alllllll this new music, and I get paid in one week :hyper: Thanks guys, I'm gonna print this out and take it with me to my next trip to the used CD store I go to in Georgetown. :yes:

sd

the lassie foundation - the el dorado LP, el rey ep
the prayer chain - mercury
starflyer59 - everyone makes mistakes
the violet burning - demonstrates plastic and elastic
all things bright and beautiful - love & affection
wayne everett - kingsqueens
talib kweli - quality
blackalicious - blazing arrow

DiGi said:
I pretty much agree with what Megan and Jenn posted. Without question go get The Remote Part by Idlewild.

StarSailor - Silence is Easy
Elbow -- Asleep In the Back or Cast of Thousands
The Delgados -- Hate
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Grandaddy - Sumday
The Polyphonic Spree - The Beginning Stages of.........

:up: :up: :up: esp teh Idlewild and Polyphonic Spree

Back
Top Bottom