The Bends vs. OK Computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is the greater album?

• The Bends

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • OK Computer

Votes: 37 59.7%

• Total voters

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Two of the best albums of the 90's, though it seems to me like most people generally perfer OK Computer over it's (in my opinion) more solid and compelling predecessor. Vote, and choose your better album.

*Note: This is partially just an excuse to exercise creating polls, since I've never made one before. :madspit:

Yay!

I actually listened to it tonight. Maybe I just don't "get it," but I just don't like OK Computer that much. I really love Karma Police and like No Surprises, but that's about it.

The Bends has "Fake Plastic Trees," "Just," "Black Star, "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" and is a lot more listenable for me.

Yeah. I feel OK has some of Radiohead's all-time greatest songs, and it's highlights are probably greater than any other album's highlights (No Surprises, Airbag, Lucky). But as a whole, I find The Bends a much more rewarding listen.

Though I gotta say, KID A is my favorite Radiohead album. :shifty:

But that's neither here nor there.

OK Computer is about 5 million times better than the Bends...not that Bends sucks (it's great), but it's not even close, IMO.

corianderstem said:
Yay!

I actually listened to it tonight. Maybe I just don't "get it," but I just don't like OK Computer that much. I really love Karma Police and like No Surprises, but that's about it.

The Bends has "Fake Plastic Trees," "Just," "Black Star, "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" and is a lot more listenable for me.

i agree

Lancemc said:
Two of the best albums of the 90's,[/I]

Two of Radiohead's best albums in the 90's maybe :wink:

I voted The Bends. Ok Computer is very good, but I think its overrated, in the way that it still doesn't appeal or gab me the way that The Bends does.

Both are incredible records.

Bends has the title track, High And Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, My Iron Lung, Bulletproof, Black Star, Street Spirit(Fade Out), but...

OKC has Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Musc(For A Film), Let Down, Karma Police, Climbing Up The Walls, No Surprises, Lucky...

It's really hard, but OKC just has this aura about it, just this effortlessly hauntingly beautiful atmosphere...

The Bends is much more accessible, but OKC...

It's very difficult to choose between the two but what it ultimately comes down is that OKC is one of those records that is more than just a record; it's an experience. I remember one time, there was a thunderstorm late at night, and it knocked the power out on my street, and when it became apparent that the power wasn't coming back for a matter of hours, I got into bed in the total dark except for one lit candle, with the rain still coming down outside, put a pair of headphones on and listened to OKC all the way through via my discman(this was pre-ipod), and it was like being in a another world for an hour. It just has this profound, epic, haunting quality to it, this impending-end-of-the-world vibe, and if you're in the right mood, it is just incredible.

There are at least three songs (Nice Dream, Planet Telex, My Iron Lung, and sometimes Sulk and Black Star) that I skip when I listen to The Bends.

The only song that i MIGHT skip on OK Computer is Fitter Happier.

OKC gets it for me, but I agree with hitman that it's like picking your favourite child.

I had to vote for OK Computer because of how complete it is as a record. That said, High and Dry is probably my favorite Radiohead song and The Bends is also amazing!

LemonMelon said:
OK Computer is about 5 million times better than the Bends...not that Bends sucks (it's great), but it's not even close, IMO.

I concur. The Bends sounds like a collection of songs, OKC is an album from start to finish, and with the exceptions of Fitter Happier and Electioneering, it's flawless, as perfect an album as ever been made.

corianderstem said:
Yay!

Yup.

UberBeaver said:

I concur. The Bends sounds like a collection of songs, OKC is an album from start to finish, and with the exceptions of Fitter Happier and Electioneering, it's flawless, as perfect an album as ever been made.

The Bends is indeed a collection of songs, but in a way that flows so perfectly from one to the other, all the way through.

I of course like OK Computer as well, but I've always been partial to The Bends.

Ok Computer, by an innings and and millions of runs.

OK Computer is an all time legendary album. The Bends is half-decent at best.

The Bends

Good:
- title track
- Bones
- Black star
- album cover
- the b-sides that could have been on the album

Bad:
- flow (High & Dry/Fake Plastic Trees - just one of several ghastly transitions)
- My Iron Lung (mindless noise)
- bulletproof (wake me when it's over)
- the quality of the b-sides that were left off the album

OK Computer

Good:
- Airbag/ParanoidAndroid opening
- Exit Music
- Fitter Happier (most exciting, especailly the lyrics and the sounds in the background. One of the only "avant-garde" things out there that are worth paying attention to. Up yours Warhol!)
- Every song is classic
- lyric booklet

Bad:

- Never been a huge fan of Lucky And The Toursit being grouped together at the end
- so many good bsides that might have been on the album

Just my personal opinion.....feel free to attack me....

namkcuR said:

Bends has the title track, High And Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, My Iron Lung, Bulletproof, Black Star, Street Spirit(Fade Out), but...

OKC has Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Musc(For A Film), Let Down, Karma Police, Climbing Up The Walls, No Surprises, Lucky...

It's really hard, but OKC just has this aura about it, just this effortlessly hauntingly beautiful atmosphere...

It's very difficult to choose between the two but what it ultimately comes down is that OKC is one of those records that is more than just a record; it's an experience. I remember one time, there was a thunderstorm late at night, and it knocked the power out on my street, and when it became apparent that the power wasn't coming back for a matter of hours, I got into bed in the total dark except for one lit candle, with the rain still coming down outside, put a pair of headphones on and listened to OKC all the way through via my discman(this was pre-ipod), and it was like being in a another world for an hour. It just has this profound, epic, haunting quality to it, this impending-end-of-the-world vibe, and if you're in the right mood, it is just incredible.

namkcuR FTW!!:up:

OKC:drool:

let down:drool:
airbag:drool:
Subterrean Homesick Alien :drool:

Of all these weird creatures who lock up their spirits
Drill holes in themselves and live for their secrets

One of my favorite lyrics in a song:drool: :drool:

namkcuR said:

namkcuR :up:

okc is radiohead's masterpiece number 1. its one of the few albums that you can listen to again and again without ever getting tired of it. i listened to exit music last night and even though it was probably the 3000th time, it blew me away just as much as it did the first time. the bends is a great record but it doesnt reach the magic heights of okc.

Last edited:
It was hard to pick, but in the end I went for OKC. The Bends has a lot of my favourite Radiohead songs on it, but OK Computer has comparitively more. Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Exit Music, Let Down, Karma Police, Climbing Up The Walls...doesn't get much better than that. I haven't listened to this album in a long time. Might just have to today.

The OOTS said:
OK Computer is perfection!

well, nearly :wink:

there are probably 2-3 songs that could have been a little better. but then again, nothing is perfect.

UberBeaver said:

:up: I agree. I love The Bends, of course, but even with the two songs you mentioned that I nearly always skip on OKC, the rest is so brilliant that it makes for a near-perfect listening experience for me. I just listened to it for the first time in a long time on a road trip last week and I have to say it was as fresh and exciting as it was when I first got it.

Lancemc said:

Except for Kid A.

Indeed. It's rare on any record that there are no songs that I skip, but I nearly always listen to Kid A beginning to end, uninterrupted. I almost never skip anything.

OK Computer gets my vote, for many of the reasons already mentioned above. Karma Police is one of the finest songs that I have ever heard; I recall the first time that I encountered it, and being completely overtaken by the song. That very seldom happens.

I agree about OK Computer sounding more like a complete album, but I'm usually all about the songs, not necessary the flow and "completeness" of something, which is one reason I prefer The Bends.

This also means I have lots of "Greatest Hits" collections instead of proper albums. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom