The Beatles White/Whiter Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImOuttaControl

Refugee
I've been on my Beatles kick again recently and have been watching the Anthology DVD.

George Martin mentioned he was really pushing for a 1 disk album with just the best songs, while Ringo now says that the "White Album" material should have been put out as 2 albums: The White Album and the Whiter Album

I'm curious as to some opinions to what "1 great album" would have been; or what the "White Album" and "Whiter Albums" would have looked like.

I quickly made this list earlier as my 1 disk album. Later tonight I might go on my computer and try to make the White and Whiter albums.

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Revolution
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
5. Yer Blues
6. Mother Natures Son
7. I’m So Tired
8. Blackbird
9. Happiness is a Warm Gun
10. Helter Skelter
11. Long Long Long (volume turned up a bit)
12. Julia
13. Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey
14. Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
15. Good Night

What do you think?

The White album when you take the best songs could easily compete for their best. Plus you left out I Will which is one of my faves.

I also remember Paul saying that more songs is a good thing

Everyone has a different opinion as to which songs are "the best songs" (like how you two just disagreed about "I Will"--which I would have included too), so I'm glad they gave us the whole mess and didn't strip it down.

People who say the White Album would be better as a single album are just missing the point, I think.

Yeah. With most double albums you could probably fashion a superior single record by selecting the best, but I just don't think that's the case with The White Album. While there's certainly some filler (Savoy Truffle, Long Long Long, the aforementioned I Will, Wild Honey Pie, and the godawful Honey Pie), there are just too many great songs to reduce it to one LP.

It's funny that it's considered by many to be John's finest hour (which I agree with), when it also has some of Paul's most unique work as well. Rocky Raccoon, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Back in the U.S.S.R., Helter Skelter are all departures from his normal grandma material.

Back
Top Bottom