The Beatles Thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well just thought I'd give this a shot considering the Pink Floyd thread was quite the successful.

Anyway, The Beatles are in my top four favorite artists (along with Pink Floyd, U2 and David Bowie) as the only artists I have really listened to lately.

I put on Sgt. Peppers again yesterday and was blown away. Such an amazing record! My favourite song is definitely Good Morning Good Morning, I love it so much, closely followed by A Day in the Life of course. However, I think I may only buy Revolver and Rubber Soul and that'll be it for me. I don't plan on getting the rest any time soon.

I would really like to hear more about the supposed in-fighting with this band, when it started, it makes for very interesting reading.

Let's see how this goes... :lol:

COBL_04 said:
I would really like to hear more about the supposed in-fighting with this band, when it started, it makes for very interesting reading.

It's been a lot of years since I devoured every Beatles book I could find, but let's see if I can remember some stuff ...

I'm sure it wasn't the start of conflicts, but I didn't McCartney take some heat in the later years for trying to drive the management of the band after Epstein committed suicide?

They had that later manager ... Allen something? Allen Klein? He made some bad decisions. Or was he not a manager, and was doing something else?

Okay, never mind. Clearly I don't remember as much as I thought I did. Maybe someone else can at least either confirm or deny what I'm trying to talk about. :lol:

intedomine said:
There's A Place :drool:

That is all

I'd say to get the box set right now, but instead I'm going to say wait until the new remastered box is released and get that.

Really, every Beatles record save for maybe 'With The Beatles' and 'Beatles For Sale' is an essential record to own.

Just try and own every Beatles song. That should be every music fan's aim.

I just really wanna hear Carnival Of Light though

I used to love the later Beatles stuff, but lately I've been more into their earlier tunes. Those harmonies! Those melodies! :drool:

Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

corianderstem said:

It's been a lot of years since I devoured every Beatles book I could find, but let's see if I can remember some stuff ...

I'm sure it wasn't the start of conflicts, but I didn't McCartney take some heat in the later years for trying to drive the management of the band after Epstein committed suicide?

They had that later manager ... Allen something? Allen Klein? He made some bad decisions. Or was he not a manager, and was doing something else?

Okay, never mind. Clearly I don't remember as much as I thought I did. Maybe someone else can at least either confirm or deny what I'm trying to talk about. :lol:

I think the biggest fight was between Paul and George, which wasn't really resolved until the mid-'90s.

Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think the biggest fight was between Paul and George, which wasn't really resolved until the mid-'90s.

Really? I was always pretty sure that Paul and John were the ones who hated each other by the end, who both wanted control of the band at the end, and whose egos both prevented them from being able to coexist together in a songwriting relationship anymore.

LemonMelon said:

What do you own by them?

I've had Yellow Submarine and 1 for quite awhile. I bought Abbey Road and Rubber Soul a few weeks ago. I also have part of one of the greatest hits sets (that double disc one in the blue case) that one of my friends burned for me.

I know there are at least a few more of their albums I need to get, but I don't have a lot of money to buy CDs right now. I've really been enjoying Abbey Road since I got it. I haven't listened to Rubber Soul yet, but I might just save it for my next road trip.

I have 1 and I really don't like much of their early poppy stuff. That's not my musical taste. I have a feeling it's a piss-poor representation of the band.

phillyfan26 said:
I have 1 and I really don't like much of their early poppy stuff. That's not my musical taste. I have a feeling it's a piss-poor representation of the band.

I suppose you think Boy is a poor representation of U2 as well? :eyebrow:

No, early Beatles is a good representation...it's just a different facet. They may not have made a truly great record until Help, but they were always a great singles band.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

namkcuR said:

Really? I was always pretty sure that Paul and John were the ones who hated each other by the end, who both wanted control of the band at the end, and whose egos both prevented them from being able to coexist together in a songwriting relationship anymore.

But they at least became friends again towards the mid-'70s.

George still harbored a lot of resentment for Paul years after that, though.

phillyfan26 said:

I completey agree. I can't stand a lot of their early stuff, bar a few tracks from AHDN and Help, etc. That's why I'm buying only Rubber Soul and REvolver and that'll be it for me

LemonMelon said:

I suppose you think Boy is a poor representation of U2 as well? :eyebrow:

No, early Beatles is a good representation...it's just a different facet. They may not have made a truly great record until Help, but they were always a great singles band.

No, I mean I think 1 is a piss-poor representation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

LemonMacPhisto said:

But they at least became friends again towards the mid-'70s.

George still harbored a lot of resentment for Paul years after that, though.

I had always heard that it was Paul-George because George felt Paul was controlling all the creativity, and keeping him out of things.

phillyfan26 said:

No, I mean I think 1 is a piss-poor representation.

:hmm: OK then. I think it's a flawed comp because it's missing Strawberry Fields Forever. That is all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

phillyfan26 said:

I had always heard that it was Paul-George because George felt Paul was controlling all the creativity, and keeping him out of things.

That's what I thought it was, too. Paul would orchestrate most of George's guitar arrangements, pissing George off to no end.

This forum is on fire at the moment.

Everyone's favourite albums? Songs? Album Covers?

I found an old Lancemc (?) thread where pplz ranked the Beatles. Mine would be

1. George Harrison
2. John Lennon/Paul McCartney
4. Ringo Starr

I thought the "feud" was Lennon/McCartney. They were the main songwriters and weren't they fighting over whose songs would make it on the album? I'm sure George and Ringo weren't happy about it. I'll have to drag hubby in here for his words of wisdom.

:love:

Lennon/McCartney (but I'm more of a Lennon girl)
Harrison
Starr

I always thought it was Lennon/McCartney as well... I mean he did write a song about his apparent abhorrence for Paul... and the Playboy interviews aren't exactly glowing in his opinon of him either.

I guess it's all just very disheartening... apparently neither George or John liked the whole Sgt. Peppers idea... maybe that's why they only contributed five songs combined.

John also didn't like Abbey Road side two... and was heard to say "are we meant to giggle in the solo" during the recording of Let it Be

:crazy:

I think the earlist fights started during the White Album sessions when Ringo quit the band for a little while and the other three provided the drums for "Back in the USSR", but they patched things up.

Paul suggested doing Sgt Pepper, and filming the "Let it be" sessions. I guess John was more interested in making music with Yoko.

John and George brought in Phil Spector to produce Let it be, which infuriated Paul. There was also the issue of money (that is, who will be their accountant) - Paul suggested Linda's brother while John was in favour of another guy.

The last straw was probably when the label said Paul should wait with his first solo album, for the good of the band. The rest of the band sent Ringo to deliver the news to Paul's house, who "never did this since or before" - told Ringo to get out. His solo album still got released in 1970, with a press statement he's leaving the band.

There was some anger - John making a mock photo cover of Paul's album and the song "How do you sleep" - but Paul and John patched things up, I read somewhere they were planning a reunion of the band in the 80's. Not sure there were any hard feelings outside of Paul and John fued.

1. Lennon
2. Harrison
3. Starr
4. Macca

Best album: Magical Mystery Tour
Worst album: With The Beatles

Best Songs: Strawberry Fields Forever/I'm Only Sleeping/A Day In The Life/Tomorrow Never Knows/In My Life

Worst Song: I Wanna Be Your Man/Yer Blues/Misery/Revolution 1/I'll Cry Instead

Most Underated Songs: There's A Place/Lovely Rita/Long Long Long/Piggies/You Like Me Too Much

Most Overated Songs: Blackbird/Yesterday/While My Guitar Gently Weeps/Help/Getting Better

U2girl said:
I think the earlist fights started during the White Album sessions when Ringo quit the band for a little while and the other three provided the drums for "Back in the USSR", but they patched things up.

Paul suggested doing Sgt Pepper, and filming the "Let it be" sessions. I guess John was more interested in making music with Yoko.

John and George brought in Phil Spector to produce Let it be, which infuriated Paul. There was also the issue of money (that is, who will be their accountant) - Paul suggested Linda's brother while John was in favour of another guy.

The last straw was probably when the label said Paul should wait with his first solo album, for the good of the band. The rest of the band sent Ringo to deliver the news to Paul's house, who "never did this since or before" - told Ringo to get out. His solo album still got released in 1970, with a press statement he's leaving the band.

There was some anger - John making a mock photo cover of Paul's album and the song "How do you sleep" - but Paul and John patched things up, I read somewhere they were planning a reunion of the band in the 80's. Not sure there were any hard feelings outside of Paul and John fued.

Oh so How Do You Sleep was made shortly after the breakup? I thought it was like ten years later or something.

I think I guess why I'm kinda on Paul's side is just the simple fact that he seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm -- he suggested Sgt Peppers and going out on a high note with Abbey Road but both George and John seemed to be against the idea, or not care much for it (Ringo is just never mentioned). I don't know :shrug:

My favourite Beatles song... geez :crazy: Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey I reckon.

I'm not that familiar with John's solo career but as I understand it, How do you sleep is influenced by the feud between him and Paul.

I think taking sides (really? Paul suggested Abbey Road?) in this is just like the eternal "who was better ? Paul or John?" argument. I think it was a mix of circumstances that kept them from continuing as a band, I don't it was necessarily any one party's fault.

If you can get your hands on it, watch the footage of them during the Let It Be sessions...

George and Paul have some particularly heated exchanges that are a sight to see...

God, it's painful to watch at some points but awesome at the same time... :drool:

I think "Beatles For Sale" is one of The Beatles better early albums. Follow the sun, Baby's In Black, No Reply, I'm a Loser, What You're Doing; are some of there better early songs.

COBL_04 said:

I don't know :shrug:

I forgot to add that the other members didn't approve of Yoko appearing in the studio starting with White Album. Apparently the band members had a (silent?) agreement no one brings a girlfriend/wife in the studio.

It seems in the last few years, Paul was the unofficial instigator for music in the band. As John once said "We got tired of being Paul's backing band".

Add to that George becoming a songwriter in his own, and being denied of adding his songs on Beatles albums by Paul and John...

Back
Top Bottom