The Beatles Thread... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 08:29 AM
The Beatles Thread...

Well just thought I'd give this a shot considering the Pink Floyd thread was quite the successful.

Anyway, The Beatles are in my top four favorite artists (along with Pink Floyd, U2 and David Bowie) as the only artists I have really listened to lately.

I put on Sgt. Peppers again yesterday and was blown away. Such an amazing record! My favourite song is definitely Good Morning Good Morning, I love it so much, closely followed by A Day in the Life of course. However, I think I may only buy Revolver and Rubber Soul and that'll be it for me. I don't plan on getting the rest any time soon.

I would really like to hear more about the supposed in-fighting with this band, when it started, it makes for very interesting reading.

Let's see how this goes...
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,727
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
I would really like to hear more about the supposed in-fighting with this band, when it started, it makes for very interesting reading.
It's been a lot of years since I devoured every Beatles book I could find, but let's see if I can remember some stuff ...

I'm sure it wasn't the start of conflicts, but I didn't McCartney take some heat in the later years for trying to drive the management of the band after Epstein committed suicide?

They had that later manager ... Allen something? Allen Klein? He made some bad decisions. Or was he not a manager, and was doing something else?

Okay, never mind. Clearly I don't remember as much as I thought I did. Maybe someone else can at least either confirm or deny what I'm trying to talk about.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 04:29 PM
I confess I'm really only starting to get into the Beatles in the last few months
__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I confess I'm really only starting to get into the Beatles in the last few months
What do you own by them?
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 07:29 AM
There's A Place


That is all
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
There's A Place


That is all
I'd say to get the box set right now, but instead I'm going to say wait until the new remastered box is released and get that.

Really, every Beatles record save for maybe 'With The Beatles' and 'Beatles For Sale' is an essential record to own.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Just try and own every Beatles song. That should be every music fan's aim.

I just really wanna hear Carnival Of Light though
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,727
Local Time: 01:29 PM
I used to love the later Beatles stuff, but lately I've been more into their earlier tunes. Those harmonies! Those melodies!
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem


It's been a lot of years since I devoured every Beatles book I could find, but let's see if I can remember some stuff ...

I'm sure it wasn't the start of conflicts, but I didn't McCartney take some heat in the later years for trying to drive the management of the band after Epstein committed suicide?

They had that later manager ... Allen something? Allen Klein? He made some bad decisions. Or was he not a manager, and was doing something else?

Okay, never mind. Clearly I don't remember as much as I thought I did. Maybe someone else can at least either confirm or deny what I'm trying to talk about.
I think the biggest fight was between Paul and George, which wasn't really resolved until the mid-'90s.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


I think the biggest fight was between Paul and George, which wasn't really resolved until the mid-'90s.
Really? I was always pretty sure that Paul and John were the ones who hated each other by the end, who both wanted control of the band at the end, and whose egos both prevented them from being able to coexist together in a songwriting relationship anymore.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


What do you own by them?
I've had Yellow Submarine and 1 for quite awhile. I bought Abbey Road and Rubber Soul a few weeks ago. I also have part of one of the greatest hits sets (that double disc one in the blue case) that one of my friends burned for me.

I know there are at least a few more of their albums I need to get, but I don't have a lot of money to buy CDs right now. I've really been enjoying Abbey Road since I got it. I haven't listened to Rubber Soul yet, but I might just save it for my next road trip.
__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:29 PM
I have 1 and I really don't like much of their early poppy stuff. That's not my musical taste. I have a feeling it's a piss-poor representation of the band.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I have 1 and I really don't like much of their early poppy stuff. That's not my musical taste. I have a feeling it's a piss-poor representation of the band.
I suppose you think Boy is a poor representation of U2 as well?

No, early Beatles is a good representation...it's just a different facet. They may not have made a truly great record until Help, but they were always a great singles band.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR


Really? I was always pretty sure that Paul and John were the ones who hated each other by the end, who both wanted control of the band at the end, and whose egos both prevented them from being able to coexist together in a songwriting relationship anymore.
But they at least became friends again towards the mid-'70s.

George still harbored a lot of resentment for Paul years after that, though.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #15
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I have 1 and I really don't like much of their early poppy stuff. That's not my musical taste. I have a feeling it's a piss-poor representation of the band.
I completey agree. I can't stand a lot of their early stuff, bar a few tracks from AHDN and Help, etc. That's why I'm buying only Rubber Soul and REvolver and that'll be it for me
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com