The Beatles Thread... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

I suppose you think Boy is a poor representation of U2 as well?

No, early Beatles is a good representation...it's just a different facet. They may not have made a truly great record until Help, but they were always a great singles band.
No, I mean I think 1 is a piss-poor representation.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

But they at least became friends again towards the mid-'70s.

George still harbored a lot of resentment for Paul years after that, though.
I had always heard that it was Paul-George because George felt Paul was controlling all the creativity, and keeping him out of things.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

No, I mean I think 1 is a piss-poor representation.
OK then. I think it's a flawed comp because it's missing Strawberry Fields Forever. That is all.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I had always heard that it was Paul-George because George felt Paul was controlling all the creativity, and keeping him out of things.
That's what I thought it was, too. Paul would orchestrate most of George's guitar arrangements, pissing George off to no end.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #20
45:33

Local Time: 06:59 PM
This forum is on fire at the moment.

Everyone's favourite albums? Songs? Album Covers?

I found an old Lancemc (?) thread where pplz ranked the Beatles. Mine would be

1. George Harrison
2. John Lennon/Paul McCartney
4. Ringo Starr
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I thought the "feud" was Lennon/McCartney. They were the main songwriters and weren't they fighting over whose songs would make it on the album? I'm sure George and Ringo weren't happy about it. I'll have to drag hubby in here for his words of wisdom.

Lennon/McCartney (but I'm more of a Lennon girl)
Harrison
Starr
Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #22

I always thought it was Lennon/McCartney as well... I mean he did write a song about his apparent abhorrence for Paul... and the Playboy interviews aren't exactly glowing in his opinon of him either.

I guess it's all just very disheartening... apparently neither George or John liked the whole Sgt. Peppers idea... maybe that's why they only contributed five songs combined.

John also didn't like Abbey Road side two... and was heard to say "are we meant to giggle in the solo" during the recording of Let it Be

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
I think the earlist fights started during the White Album sessions when Ringo quit the band for a little while and the other three provided the drums for "Back in the USSR", but they patched things up.

Paul suggested doing Sgt Pepper, and filming the "Let it be" sessions. I guess John was more interested in making music with Yoko.

John and George brought in Phil Spector to produce Let it be, which infuriated Paul. There was also the issue of money (that is, who will be their accountant) - Paul suggested Linda's brother while John was in favour of another guy.

The last straw was probably when the label said Paul should wait with his first solo album, for the good of the band. The rest of the band sent Ringo to deliver the news to Paul's house, who "never did this since or before" - told Ringo to get out. His solo album still got released in 1970, with a press statement he's leaving the band.

There was some anger - John making a mock photo cover of Paul's album and the song "How do you sleep" - but Paul and John patched things up, I read somewhere they were planning a reunion of the band in the 80's. Not sure there were any hard feelings outside of Paul and John fued.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:59 PM
1. Lennon
2. Harrison
3. Starr
4. Macca

Best album: Magical Mystery Tour
Worst album: With The Beatles

Best Songs: Strawberry Fields Forever/I'm Only Sleeping/A Day In The Life/Tomorrow Never Knows/In My Life

Worst Song: I Wanna Be Your Man/Yer Blues/Misery/Revolution 1/I'll Cry Instead

Most Underated Songs: There's A Place/Lovely Rita/Long Long Long/Piggies/You Like Me Too Much

Most Overated Songs: Blackbird/Yesterday/While My Guitar Gently Weeps/Help/Getting Better
Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I think the earlist fights started during the White Album sessions when Ringo quit the band for a little while and the other three provided the drums for "Back in the USSR", but they patched things up.

Paul suggested doing Sgt Pepper, and filming the "Let it be" sessions. I guess John was more interested in making music with Yoko.

John and George brought in Phil Spector to produce Let it be, which infuriated Paul. There was also the issue of money (that is, who will be their accountant) - Paul suggested Linda's brother while John was in favour of another guy.

The last straw was probably when the label said Paul should wait with his first solo album, for the good of the band. The rest of the band sent Ringo to deliver the news to Paul's house, who "never did this since or before" - told Ringo to get out. His solo album still got released in 1970, with a press statement he's leaving the band.

There was some anger - John making a mock photo cover of Paul's album and the song "How do you sleep" - but Paul and John patched things up, I read somewhere they were planning a reunion of the band in the 80's. Not sure there were any hard feelings outside of Paul and John fued.
Oh so How Do You Sleep was made shortly after the breakup? I thought it was like ten years later or something.

I think I guess why I'm kinda on Paul's side is just the simple fact that he seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm -- he suggested Sgt Peppers and going out on a high note with Abbey Road but both George and John seemed to be against the idea, or not care much for it (Ringo is just never mentioned). I don't know

My favourite Beatles song... geez Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey I reckon.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not that familiar with John's solo career but as I understand it, How do you sleep is influenced by the feud between him and Paul.

I think taking sides (really? Paul suggested Abbey Road?) in this is just like the eternal "who was better ? Paul or John?" argument. I think it was a mix of circumstances that kept them from continuing as a band, I don't it was necessarily any one party's fault.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

If you can get your hands on it, watch the footage of them during the Let It Be sessions...

George and Paul have some particularly heated exchanges that are a sight to see...

God, it's painful to watch at some points but awesome at the same time...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #28
The Fly

I think "Beatles For Sale" is one of The Beatles better early albums. Follow the sun, Baby's In Black, No Reply, I'm a Loser, What You're Doing; are some of there better early songs.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

I don't know
I forgot to add that the other members didn't approve of Yoko appearing in the studio starting with White Album. Apparently the band members had a (silent?) agreement no one brings a girlfriend/wife in the studio.

It seems in the last few years, Paul was the unofficial instigator for music in the band. As John once said "We got tired of being Paul's backing band".

Add to that George becoming a songwriter in his own, and being denied of adding his songs on Beatles albums by Paul and John...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

It was pretty much Paul vs. everyone else by the end. He was pissing all of them off, although Ringo was much better at letting it roll off and brushing it aside.