The Beatles: Album versions versus anthology versions of songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
The legendary MrBrau1 gave me the idea to this in another thread.

Sometimes when I listen to the anthology versions of Beatles songs, I find them quite a bit more enjoyable than the album versions of the same songs. The fact that the band sounds so much more relaxed during the recordings of these songs and that there aren't all the production-icing present, make them somewhat more pleasant to listen to.

Discuss...

U2Man said:

Sometimes when I listen to the anthology versions of Beatles songs, I find them quite a bit more enjoyable than the album versions of the same songs. The fact that the band sounds so much more relaxed during the recordings of these songs and that there aren't all the production-icing present, make them somewhat more pleasant to listen to.

Discuss...

I feel the same way. I find the material from Sgt. Peppers/ MMT quite fascinating. Its version of Day In A Life is so beautiful and I think better than the original. I listen to the Anothology more than any other Beatles material.

I dont think theres a better version than the finished song,its just the omissions that i find, can you imagine "Come and Get It" and "All Things Must Pass" on White album and Let It Be respectively.

I don't think I've heard the Anthology Ob-La-Di. What's so different about it, Brauzer?

I'm waiting for birthday cash to buy the Anthology.

Which one is better, 2 or 3? I think 1 would be my last. :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:
I'm waiting for birthday cash to buy the Anthology.

Which one is better, 2 or 3? I think 1 would be my last. :wink:

Buy 2. The stuff from Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's and MMT is great.
Some highlights are:
An instrumental of Eleanor Rigby
A cool version of Tommorrow Never Knows
Within You Without You intrumental
Different takes of Benefit Of Mr. Kite and SFF
Live stuff
& a song called Real Love which is an incredibly beautiful track.

I like the versions of "Yes It Is" and "It's Only Love" on Anthology 2. They're probably John's worst songs with the Beatles, but they're kind of charming in those early forms. 2 also has that great, lush version of "Across the Universe."

While it's a George Harrison song, the Anthology version of All Things Must Pass is absolutely gorgeous. Better than the album version by far.

Back
Top Bottom