The Beatles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
something disturbed me in the other thread.

some seriously music lovers claim to hate or dislike the beatles, despite the fact that they are probably directly responsible for most of what you listen to.

I need reasons

do you hate the brilliant structuring?
the intricate melodies?
do you cringe when Elenor Rigby is played?

help me to understand

I donnae like the banality of the music and the lyrics. Sounds like nursery rhymes to me - no offense. Maybe because they were pretty much nursery rhymes to me. I was born in the 60s and teethed on Ringos head. (I had one of those Beatles dollies with the little body and the big head, good to cut teeth on)

The music is just a little bit too pasteruised for me. I like my music a little dirtier.

I do like John Lennon though. Got some of his solo stuff :up:

PS I dont like Oasis either cause they are Beatles derivatives.

I'd say most of what you listen to is derivative from the beatles.

and the lyrics are certainly NOT trivial by any means. Some are, yes, but many are dark and brooding, or joyful and uplifting.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
That call me on and on across the universe,
Thoughts meander like a restless wind
Inside a letter box they
Tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe

and you have to realize that they had nothing to go on. They were pretty much founding a new genre. Even if some lyrics are banal, it must be acceptable for this reason. And because of the pure genius of the arrangements

There probably are some darker Beatles songs and Im just not familar with them. Like I said I do like Lennon.

I can listen to banal lyrics. Hell Im on this forum cause I adore a band that can, at times, lose the plot lyric wise. And I have a tonne of disco boogie oogie CDs.

But I still gotta love the music too. The Beatles music seems to simple to me. And not in a 'beauty in simplicity' classic pop kinda way.

Maybe the Beatles music is intricate. Im an accountant. I think you are a musican, arent you? So you would know.

I think there probably also is a touch of having heard it all before.

I finally saw Casablanca a few years ago and couldnt get into the movie at all. It felt like I had seen all the bits before on documentarys, KFC ads, whatever, that when I watched the movie I was just watching all the pieces strung together. And I didnt enjoy it at all.

Maybe the Beatles are the same with me. More constant background music to my childhood that I dont like bringing them to the fore.

That probably doesnt make any sense at all. Sorry. :|

I'm not really that much older, or at all, than people on here, but for me it is 27 years of them. I'm over them. I did like them once, quite a lot actually. But like most classics, even they have a used by date with me. I'd never really criticise them as in their day they were very relevant and definitely moved music in a certain direction. But these days there are other bands I want to see. I'm sorry George, Paul, John and Ringo. It's over. I dont have time for you anymore.

well, I can't really see a lot of "brilliant structuring and intricate melodies" in their early work

not even any hints of it
(that's why I am sure they've got Brian Wilson to thank for exploring those possibilities)

and even if that isn't true
their copies did more enjoyable work than they did to my ears

Salome said:
(that's why I am sure they've got Brian Wilson to thank for exploring those possibilities)

No doubt Pet Sounds had an influence. But lyrically Bob Dylan made quite an impression on the Beatles too (later work).

I'll agree with Basstrap in general about this... even if you don't have an appreciation for their music, their career demands a certain level of respect. A lot of bands owe a debt of gratitude to the Beatles for the pop idiom formula... in terms of mainstream recognition.

I don't listen to them that much personally, but regardless I give them a silent nod, a wink, and a thumbs up.

Bassy,

While I understand that you love them and think everyone else should love them -- some of us have just never latched on. For me in particular, that isn't to say I'm not familiar with their songs or don't even really like some ("Hey Jude"), it's just that I haven't become a fan. I can justify not being a fan even if I have the utmost respect for what The Beatles have created with their musical legacy -- which I do.

I don't need to be a fan of The Beatles in order to like modern rock. I'm not even a fan of Elvis Presley (the singer) at all -- yet I have respect for what he did even if I don't care to become a fan. Different strokes for different folks, man.

Salome said:

It was Brian Wilson who, after hearing Rubber Soul, decided to go about making the greatest pop record ever, thus producing Pet Sounds. Pet Sounds inspired the Beatles to make Sgt. Pepper...

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
Bassy,

While I understand that you love them and think everyone else should love them -- some of us have just never latched on. For me in particular, that isn't to say I'm not familiar with their songs or don't even really like some ("Hey Jude"), it's just that I haven't become a fan. I can justify not being a fan even if I have the utmost respect for what The Beatles have created with their musical legacy -- which I do.

I don't need to be a fan of The Beatles in order to like modern rock. I'm not even a fan of Elvis Presley (the singer) at all -- yet I have respect for what he did even if I don't care to become a fan. Different strokes for different folks, man.

I know I know

but if I was all timid and non-confrontational...where would be the fun in that?

I agree with HelloAngel

in the end respect doesn't want to make me listen to a cd

and the reason I named them in that other thread is because it seems that I should
there's not much to actually hate about their music

~LadyLemon~ said:

It was Brian Wilson who, after hearing Rubber Soul, decided to go about making the greatest pop record ever, thus producing Pet Sounds. Pet Sounds inspired the Beatles to make Sgt. Pepper...

Looks like somebody watches their Time Life History of Rock n' Roll.

:sexywink:

Do I blame you? No. How could one resist 10 hours of Gary Busey...

Yes, I believe that is the most profound rhetorical question ever.

Rubber Soul was the first album where every song served a purpose in the album as one piece
there were no fillers

that is what inspired Brian to make Pet Sounds

musically the man was ahead of Paul & gang until they released Sgt. Pepper

Basstrap said:
help me to understand

Same here. It seems odd to me that people should hate a band that paved the way for the vast majority of music (the classic 4 piece rock line up, the whole songwriting concept), even today - especially fans of a band who clearly lists them as their influence.

While one could argue they were the first ones and that it was easier on them, their music (the latter years certainly are not nursery rhymes) still stands and there has yet to be a songwriter that will match or even top Lennon/McCartney.

Agreed, U2girl.

Basstrap said:
despite the fact that they are probably directly responsible for most of what you listen to.

Heh, I know that's certainly true for me-all the artists I love have been influenced by/worked with/had references in their songs to the Beatles. So it's hard for me to not like them as a result of that. :). Thanks, guys! :D.

Originally posted by Basstrap
do you cringe when Elenor Rigby is played?

I certainly don't. I love that song. :yes:.

Angela

I don't know anyone who hates The Beatles - and I don't know that anyone here has said they do. You can admire what The Beatles created without actually being a fan. I would never take their musical legacy away from them. But I don't see how not being a fan of The Beatles makes anyone a bad music lover (so to speak) because we choose to love music that came after The Beatles more than we actually love The Beatles. :shrug:

We all like different things - but I don't think we should call into question anyone's music lover cred if you aren't a mondo Beatles fan.

I dont really want to get into this, not worth having a fight about. That being said, I agree with Basstrap more than anyone else in this thread.

You're right, a band and whether or not someone likes them is NEVER worth a fight, b/c it's purely subjective and a personal opinion - even if it is The Beatles. I'm sure we can all have a great discussion here without people getting overly sensitive and feeling the need to insult people. It's how you say it more often than it is what you say.

Last edited:
I have a fair dose of respect for the Beatles but my perspective on pop music doesn't start at 1962. Which is to say the Beatles were terribly innovative but they did NOT exist in a vacuum, not even close.

Also I think music IS worth fighting over. Otherwise why have a forum? To talk about how much we all love U2 for the ten millionth time?

I ignored them for a long time, then got into them; now I just have respect for them...I don't listen to them alot.

alot of their tunes are over-rated, especially the early stuff. But some of their later material I think is better than U2. also, they were cutting edge for their time....even now, "Tommorrow Never Knows" sounds cutting edge to me. The bass line to "Rain" is virtuoso. "Strawberry Fileds" arrangement is amazing.

bottom line is that the set the template for everyone else to follow in rock and roll in alot of ways, and then Led Zeppelin came and filled in the rest.

Well said Kieran on both counts.

They certainly did not spring up in a vacuum - though it glosses over and romanticizes a lot of their story, the Athology documentary/book gives you a very good idea of all the influences the Beatles made use of.

I think people tend to forget that while the mop tops were the biggest band in the world at times (1964, 1967), there were other groups around in those days that were topping the charts and getting great reviews and making music that was no less worthy.

History has a tendency to have its own process of natural selection where certain bits and pieces go missing...

Kieran McConville said:

Also I think music IS worth fighting over. Otherwise why have a forum? To talk about how much we all love U2 for the ten millionth time?

Music IS worth discussing - passionately discussing at that. It is NOT worth fighting about to the point where you insult people, you know?

I guess that by 'fighting', I mean 'discussing passionately'. I'm not for hurting people, but vigorous discussion is the only reason to bother with a forum. So yes, things will get heated at times.

Without the Beatles, we'd probably be listening to even more dreadful pop songs.
The Beatles paved the way for rock music as we know it today.
The list of groups that mention the Beatles as their main influence is quite long.
Lennon/McCartney songs are timeless, as or the Beatles.

The silliest thing I ever saw is people criticizing them for being a "Boy Band" and that they were nothing more than "awful teen pop" :tsk: I really believe some people should listen to more of the catalog before judging, and I also believe some people fail to appreciate that the Beatles were a lot more than just music you may or may not like: they are a cultural, historical and influential icon.

Back
Top Bottom