The Beatles - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:33 PM
I don't know anyone who seriously hates the Beatles. What's there to hate besides the four men's hippie attitude?

Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Re: The Beatles

Agreed, U2girl.

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
despite the fact that they are probably directly responsible for most of what you listen to.
Heh, I know that's certainly true for me-all the artists I love have been influenced by/worked with/had references in their songs to the Beatles. So it's hard for me to not like them as a result of that. . Thanks, guys! .

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
do you cringe when Elenor Rigby is played?
I certainly don't. I love that song. .

Angela

Old 08-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:33 PM
I don't know anyone who hates The Beatles - and I don't know that anyone here has said they do. You can admire what The Beatles created without actually being a fan. I would never take their musical legacy away from them. But I don't see how not being a fan of The Beatles makes anyone a bad music lover (so to speak) because we choose to love music that came after The Beatles more than we actually love The Beatles.

We all like different things - but I don't think we should call into question anyone's music lover cred if you aren't a mondo Beatles fan.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:33 PM
I dont really want to get into this, not worth having a fight about. That being said, I agree with Basstrap more than anyone else in this thread.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

You're right, a band and whether or not someone likes them is NEVER worth a fight, b/c it's purely subjective and a personal opinion - even if it is The Beatles. I'm sure we can all have a great discussion here without people getting overly sensitive and feeling the need to insult people. It's how you say it more often than it is what you say.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #21
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:33 PM
I do hate The Beatles now though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:33 AM
I have a fair dose of respect for the Beatles but my perspective on pop music doesn't start at 1962. Which is to say the Beatles were terribly innovative but they did NOT exist in a vacuum, not even close.

Also I think music IS worth fighting over. Otherwise why have a forum? To talk about how much we all love U2 for the ten millionth time?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:55 AM   #24
New Yorker

the beatles
Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I ignored them for a long time, then got into them; now I just have respect for them...I don't listen to them alot.

alot of their tunes are over-rated, especially the early stuff. But some of their later material I think is better than U2. also, they were cutting edge for their time....even now, "Tommorrow Never Knows" sounds cutting edge to me. The bass line to "Rain" is virtuoso. "Strawberry Fileds" arrangement is amazing.

bottom line is that the set the template for everyone else to follow in rock and roll in alot of ways, and then Led Zeppelin came and filled in the rest.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #26
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Well said Kieran on both counts.

They certainly did not spring up in a vacuum - though it glosses over and romanticizes a lot of their story, the Athology documentary/book gives you a very good idea of all the influences the Beatles made use of.

I think people tend to forget that while the mop tops were the biggest band in the world at times (1964, 1967), there were other groups around in those days that were topping the charts and getting great reviews and making music that was no less worthy.

History has a tendency to have its own process of natural selection where certain bits and pieces go missing...
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

Also I think music IS worth fighting over. Otherwise why have a forum? To talk about how much we all love U2 for the ten millionth time?
Music IS worth discussing - passionately discussing at that. It is NOT worth fighting about to the point where you insult people, you know?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:33 AM
I guess that by 'fighting', I mean 'discussing passionately'. I'm not for hurting people, but vigorous discussion is the only reason to bother with a forum. So yes, things will get heated at times.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Without the Beatles, we'd probably be listening to even more dreadful pop songs.
The Beatles paved the way for rock music as we know it today.
The list of groups that mention the Beatles as their main influence is quite long.
Lennon/McCartney songs are timeless, as or the Beatles.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 12:33 AM
The silliest thing I ever saw is people criticizing them for being a "Boy Band" and that they were nothing more than "awful teen pop" I really believe some people should listen to more of the catalog before judging, and I also believe some people fail to appreciate that the Beatles were a lot more than just music you may or may not like: they are a cultural, historical and influential icon.