The Beastie Boys are brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I've been rediscovering the Beasties over the last few days. These boys have not released a bad album. Some better than others, but I really do enjoy all of it. And, unlike some other hip hop artists, they use samples with major creativity, and can play instruments. Licensed to Ill is built entirely around samples, but they don't take an entire song and rewrite the words (Thats' for your Vote or Die P. Diddy bastard), they take tiny little fragments, rearrange them, and use them to comment on each track. It's just brilliant. And then Paul's Boutique... :drool:... just the next level. I'll admit I prefer their traditional rap stuff more, but they're brilliant musicians and arrangers, as proven by Ill Communication and Check Your Head. And you've gotta love a band that can admit their own mistakes. Anyone see Eminem acknowledging that his misogyny was misguided and wrong in 15 years and helping to organize events on the level of the Tibetan Freedom Concerts? No.

Also, Hello Nasty and To the 5 Boroughs are amazing albums, too. And the videos? :faint:

I just saw them in concert recently here in Tampa - PHENOMENAL. The new song "An Open Letter to NYC" was really touching. I almost fell off my row when they launched into "Paul Revere." :dance:

love em.
the instrumentals on ill communication are so cool
i love that whole Cd actually

Thanks for starting this thread, UL! The Beastie Boys are legends not only in hip hop music, but in music overall. They set new trends in their genre and "License to Ill" and "Paul's Boutique" are classics. Their new album is very strong too, it brings back the fun into rap music, which I think is missing badly :up:

RademR said:
, it brings back the fun into rap music, which I think is missing badly :up:

Yeah, I mean the first words on the album are a call-out to Trekkies! It's just so vibrant and youthful for a band in their late 30s/early 40s. Also, Adam Yauch's voice is just unreal. Somewhere I read that a reviewer thought of his voice as the hip-hop equivalent of Tom Waits. I only hope they have half of the longevity of Waits, as well.

And "Triple Trouble" is just as amazing as well. This album also contains the best sample ever: "So put a quarter in your ass 'cause you played yourself" repeat...repeat...

UnforgettableLemon said:

And "Triple Trouble" is just as amazing as well. This album also contains the best sample ever: "So put a quarter in your ass 'cause you played yourself" repeat...repeat...

"Hey....F-You" is probably one of my favorite off the album, great sample.

After reading this thread, I just put on "So What'Cha Want", probably one of the craziest beats I've ever heard on a rap record.

Back
Top Bottom