The Battle of the Axes: Round 1 Match 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Better Guitarist is:

• Wes Montgomery

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Frank Zappa

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
The last round's winner by a margin of 13-0 is Stevie Ray Vaughan!!

THE WINNERS
1. Jimi Hendrix def. 64. Billy Gibbons (n/a)
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan def. 63. Dave Matthews (n/a)

MATCH 3
3. Wes Montgomery vs 62. Frank Zappa (126)

3. Wes Montgomery
Born March 6, 1925
Died June 15, 1968
Plays: Righty
Genre: Jazz
Classic Song: "Four on Six" from The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

62. Frank Zappa
Born December 21, 1940
Died December 4, 1993
Plays: Righty
Genre: Prog-rock, Fusion
Classic Song: "Treacherous Cretins" from Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

Vote vote vote!

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Thanks, asshole.

It was really more my typing finger.

Although, I am now extremely curious as to how you click your mouse.

GARY#2 said:

It was really more my typing finger.

Although, I am now extremely curious as to how you click your mouse.

As the Beasties say...

"If you don't like it then hey, fuck you!"

So if you don't like the game, then fuck off like a good little boy, ok? :wink:

I'll just say I was listening to some Frank Zappa yesterday

Angela Harlem said:
Dave put a sock in it.
:laugh: there's a saying I haven't heard for a while...is the problem the 30+ posts this will require or the fact there can't REALLY be a winner?...or c) both?

You know what?

Screw it.

Every time I start one of these things for a little enjoyment there are always people who come along and shit on the whole thing just cause they don't like it.

I'm this close to just cancelling the whole thing because I don't want to have to put up with selfish people trying to ruin others having a good time once again.

It happened with U2 Survivor, CR Survivor got cancelled outright because of it...yet time and again I try and do this so that people can have a bit of diversion, try and get some more traffic to some forums (it sure worked with EYIKW for a while), try and mix things up a little from the same-old-"check out this new band"-threads...and every time someone who doesn't like it comes along and dumps on me for it. I'm sick of it. I'll keep going but if something else happens the whole thing goes down the toilet and those of us who actually enjoy it for a change of pace will end up losing out once again.

I've said it before: if you don't like the game or don't want to participate, then just stay away from the threads! It's not an overly difficult thing to comprehend. Just please stop being immature and ignorant and ruining things for others.

Please.

dude, dave. settle.

if i remember correctly, the people here in bang and clatter already made it clear that they didn't like survivor threads in this forum. and i think they gave quite a few valid examples as to why. personally, i think you should have respected that, but that's just me. and if you didn't learn when you tried to start radiohead survivor, then i can't help you even if i wanted to...

maybe you don't understand how possessive people can be of "their" forums. it might be silly, but it's true. like it or not.

sure, survivor threads work in EYKIW, because most of the posters there only post in that forum, and they enjoy every little thing pertaining to U2. so go back. go back to EYKIW and survivor your little heart out.

and please don't call the bang and clatter folk selfish, immature, or assholes.

because most of them are quite precious. :hug:

Most folks (the extremely vast majority, in fact) are awesome, I agree.

And in regards to Radiohead Survivor I was under the impression that the reason people were against it was because they didn't want a Radiohead game. Classic Rock Survivor got loads of traffic, and it was mostly the forum regulars...it also brought some new people here who wouldn't normally have come.

Gary #2 is clearly an alter for someone...I'm really really curious as to who it is, and I'll ask whoever you are to stop hiding behind an alter and talk to me directly. If you'd rather do it on MSN my address is u2_13@hotmail.com. Let's end this peacefully and all carry on with our banging and clattering.

I think I've just been called out. From where I'm not sure, as I thought my alter was common knowledge...

There's no secret conspiracy with the intentions of getting a rise out of you. In fact, it's quite public.

:sexywink:

The lionshare credit for the distaste shown in this thread, and in various others, is not based on my own pursuit. Actually, it seems the sentiments protesting your elimination threads are broad in these forums; at times I use Gary#2 as a figurehead to show (by example) the ridiculousness of the "survivor" concept. I guess in hindsight, Gary hasn't been vigorous enough. None of this is meant to be personal, and if you interpret it in that way... that's fine. The ploy is merely a vehicle for deterent.

Why you ask? I'm sure many have different reasons. But maybe all the negativity finds basis in the fact that these threads perpetuate limiting and devaluing scripts that are the staple of arbitrary discussion. If there's an entertainment benefit, it comes only at the consequence of demeaning artists and their work. Repeating ideas into a bastardized poll, which truly has no creative element, really tests the collective patience, as you've seen. Comparisons can be productive in conversations about music and art, but not to this extent. Survivor threads may have had a moment of novelty, but that train has long since left its station with haste.

But who really cares? If you want to continue this, do so at your own leisure. Negative responses will always come about no matter how many times you put a disclaimer in your pre-ramble (I really like that pun :up: ). Labelling some of the more respected posters (barring myself) as immature or difficult surely doesn't afford credit to your cause.

Dave, you have to ask yourself why you're doing this. You claim it is for the benefit and entertainment of those who want some distraction from the norm. But is that the case? Haven't so many voiced their displeasure directly or indirectly... to question whether your pursuit is reaching intention?

I will agree with you on one front. Continue about business... whether you chose to persist mootery or not.

~some thoughts

Last edited:
*sigh*

Never mind. I'll let this die if that's what you really really want. I'm not going to go through the hassle and grief I've put up with in the past and so there's no point in continuing.

At least now I know who Gary is.

PS: good word..."mootery"...I like that. :wink:

okey dokey
n/m Dave, as you grow older you find more and "grinders".
don't let 'em, walk on.
I know your intentions were good, this site has always been ...can't think of the right word.....guided by the chosen few, we mere mortals can but observe.

I hope you're recovering well and are in good spirits for your college year ahead. Good luck.
PS: there are so many inbelievably good guitarist in this world :applaud: keep at it, you may be one of them in the future
:)

So if this survivor is over and done with let us now declair the winner we all knew would win.....

That's right folks! Your winner!

ZoSo himself.....Jimmy Page!!!

Long live Zep!!

symbols_2.gif

I was going to declare who I thought would be the ultimate winner, but I just couldn't choose one.

cass said:
this site has always been ...can't think of the right word.....guided by the chosen few, we mere mortals can but observe.
yeah, the only problem is that I can't pick those chosen few

that rating thread stuff should really go
or I should be given some extra powers which include banning immature little shits

I meant that in the nicest way possible of course :wink:

Zappa all the way
love the man

DaveC...Can we do a Survivor in FYM??? :hyper:

Now THERE is a forum I think the Survivor format would flourish and would be accepted with arms wide open!

Back
Top Bottom