The Battle of the Axes: Round 1 Match 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Better Guitarist is:

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • Billy Gibbons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
This is it. A way to wind down the summer with my final Survivor ever and it's a big one...Guitarists. Yes folks, the instrument that every band now has to have to be successful and we're going to find out who's the greatest. This is a straight-up knock-out competition, one-on-one till the end. 1 round a day. YOU MAY NOT VOTE WITH ALTERS TO INFLUENCE THE COMPETITION!

The guitarists have been seeded 1 through 64 using the rankings coming directly from GuitarOne Magazine. #1 to 30 in their rankings were automatically in the competition. They ranked 128 guitarists and I chose 30 others from there, names who weren't in the top 30 but would be recognized by most. In these cases there will be a number with brackets behind to show the GuitarOne ranking. There are 64 in this competition in all. I also added 4 guitarists who were not in the list but are somewhat popular around here. In these cases the bracketed seed number will be represented with an "n/a". The criteria to judge the guitarists on are Chops, Versatility, Influence, Tone, Originality, Body of Work, and "The X Factor".

So without further ado, let's get it on with Round 1!

1. Jimi Hendrix vs 64. Billy Gibbons (n/a)

Jimi Hendrix (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Born John Allen Hendrix, November 27, 1942
Died September 18, 1970
Plays: Lefty
Genre: Blues-rock, psychedelic rock
Classic Song: "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Born September 16, 1949
Plays: Righty
Genre: Southern-rock, blues-rock
Classic Song: "La Grange" from Tres Hombres

PS: You are voting for who you would like to win, not voting one off!

Last edited:
This one is a no-brainer. Sorry Billy.
The emotional power Jimi could get out of his guitar is amazing. And I'm not only talking about his solos. Listen to Little Wing or 1983 and you hear what you can do with a guitar. :heart:

How could anyone vote ZZ Top over a legend like Jimi?

Hendrix all the way people!

Can't wait for the man himself to arrive in the poll.....Mr. Jimmy Page! Go ZoSo Go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom