The bands and artists that I've decided to check out in '08!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well after some careful deliberation, I've come up with a list of five bands/artists that I'm going to sort of focus/channel my musical quest on throughout the year, though I'll still pick up some more albums by other artists as well I am sure. Im'ma look at:

Rolling Stones. One of music's (if not) greatest bands of all time. Got Forty Licks burnt ages ago, and loved most of it, and so I'm going to delve into them. I have Exile on Main Street, though I think I might leave that one for a while.

REM. A somewhat natural progression from U2, and a band I've always been pretty fond of without knowing much of their shit. I have In Time, and also loved most of that. I might even start out gettin Accelerate, who knows. I assume there's a lot of hidden gold in their catalogue.

Bruce Springsteen. This will probably take a backburner for a while, and I don't think I'll dive deep into the Boss, but I am really a fan of what I have heard, and my parents are fans as well so it seems to be a good idea to me. Was *this* close to buying Born to Run on the weekend.

Bob Dylan. Have Essential, again loved most of it, and I think it'll be great to check out a truly innovative artist who has influenced so much of musical culture over the past fifty years. Don't own any albums yet, looking at probably Highway 61 first.

The Who. Another '60s rock band that I'd heard plenty about, and the little I've heard has been pretty impressive I suppose. Of the albums I held on Sunday at JB, I ended up only taking home Who's Next for $19. Excited about hearing some Keith Moon.

Participate or ignore this thread as you wish, just looking for some useful opinions about why people like said bands/artists, pass on some knowledge about them, where to go to find out more, albums to get, and so on.

Thanks very much!

COBL_04 said:
Was *this* close to buying Born to Run on the weekend.

A great album. I've had it for more than 30 years and I still listen to it and love it. Essential.

:up: My Dad has it and plays it a fair bit, I hear there's very little in the way of filler. However some patriotism takes a hit when I listen to Born in the USA, as good as it is. :wink:

COBL_04 said:
However some patriotism takes a hit when I listen to Born in the USA, as good as it is. :wink:

I bought Born in the USA when it was released but sold it a few months later. Never have gotten it again. It just doesn't have the magic of Born to Run.

There are better authorities on the subject here, but I think as a start you should definitely get Murmur by REM.

Highway 61 is a good start, I like the earliest Dylan stuff too.

COBL_04 said:
:up: My Dad has it and plays it a fair bit, I hear there's very little in the way of filler. However some patriotism takes a hit when I listen to Born in the USA, as good as it is. :wink:

No filler whatsoever, in fact. Eight songs, all great in their own right. My favorite album ever.

COBL_04 said:

Rolling Stones. One of music's (if not) greatest bands of all time. Got Forty Licks burnt ages ago, and loved most of it, and so I'm going to delve into them. I have Exile on Main Street, though I think I might leave that one for a while.
Make sure you get Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Tattoo You. You won't be disappointed if you liked 40 Licks. It's more of the same and just as good. Amazing albums.

COBL_04 said:

Bruce Springsteen. This will probably take a backburner for a while, and I don't think I'll dive deep into the Boss, but I am really a fan of what I have heard, and my parents are fans as well so it seems to be a good idea to me. Was *this* close to buying Born to Run on the weekend.
You should have gotten it! You might like Darkness On The Edge Of Town too. Again, you won't be disappointed at all. Don't put the Boss at the backburner please.

COBL_04 said:

Bob Dylan. Have Essential, again loved most of it, and I think it'll be great to check out a truly innovative artist who has influenced so much of musical culture over the past fifty years. Don't own any albums yet, looking at probably Highway 61 first.
That's a damn fine start. Blonde on Blonde will do you well too.

Oh, to meet with all of this amazing music for the first time.... good times.

In my '08 I'm not planning on checking out too much more than the normal bands I listen to. But I'm going to make it my goal to beef up my Harrison, McCartney, and Lennon solo album collection (at the time I have one from each).

COBL_04 said:
REM. A somewhat natural progression from U2, and a band I've always been pretty fond of without knowing much of their shit. I have In Time, and also loved most of that. I might even start out gettin Accelerate, who knows. I assume there's a lot of hidden gold in their catalogue.

:yippie:

Automatic
Out Of Time
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Monster
New Adventures

:yippie:

It's The Rolling Stones, not Rolling Stones. They weren't named by Billy Corgan.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

For The Who, start with Who's Next or Live at Leeds.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's The Rolling Stones, not Rolling Stones. They weren't named by Billy Corgan.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

Interestingly (mildly), they don't seem to share your peeve. Click

My guess is they don't care if people use the The or not as long as they buy concert tickets. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Corgan's even more of a tool for not being consistent. They were "Smashing Pumpkins" up until Mellon Collie, when apparently they wanted to make the whole thing even more pretentious by adding a "the". I'm pretty sure Adore followed suit (it's not printed on the actual cover), and Machina definitely did.

siamese-dream.jpg

s1498083.jpg

6a00c2251c536cf21900c2251ce235f219-500pi

On the recent reunion album, apparently he wanted to get back to the cool, youthful days, and changed again:

550a028378731a3191bd378e1ac08ed6.jpg

Tool.

With the Stones and the Pumpkins, missing the The completely changes the meaning of the title.

The Rolling Stones... yeah, we kick ass.
Rolling Stones... who's actually rolling these stones?

Same thing with (The) Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm planning on getting into the Beatles' solo work. (I'm a fan of the songs I've heard so far, like Give Peace a Chance, Imagine, Instant Karma, My Sweet Lord, Got My Mind Set On You, Maybe I'm Amazed, Live and Let Die.)

I also plan on discovering some more Muse than just Knights of Cydonia (which is a kickass song).

Finally, I hope to listen to a couple of new bands, like Paramore and Sick Puppies.

Re: Re: The bands and artists that I've decided to check out in '08!

TheBrazilianFly said:

Make sure you get Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Tattoo You. You won't be disappointed if you liked 40 Licks. It's more of the same and just as good. Amazing albums.

You should have gotten it! You might like Darkness On The Edge Of Town too. Again, you won't be disappointed at all. Don't put the Boss at the backburner please.

That's a damn fine start. Blonde on Blonde will do you well too.

Oh, to meet with all of this amazing music for the first time.... good times.

Thanks heaps for all your help mate, appreciate it! I'm gonna listen to Who's Next in a few days, I'll keep posted...

Also, if you get a chance and have the funds, get The Queen Is Dead by the Smiths, you will not be disappointed.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's The Rolling Stones, not Rolling Stones.

Is it?
Like Smashing Pumpkins, the Stones weren't consistent either with their name.
They start out with 'The'

460397.jpg

But some key albums don't have the 'The'

460415.jpg

139456.jpg

And also in the past few years they don't use 'The'.

Still, inbetween they did sometimes have that definitive article in front of their name.
So this might be a case where both spellings are correct...
:shrug:

P.S. Let It Bleed is also confusing as the name in the upperleft corner doesn't have a 'The', but the vinyl record in the photo has. :huh:

Last edited:
And I am an idiot, but they shouldn't be so inconsistent.

Nick Drake ftw.

Take out the Rolling Stones, and you have some of my old guard favorite artists. Can't wait for the new R.E.M.! Not to mention I've been on a binge of Bob Dylan for the past week.

COBL_04 said:
Actually I think I'll add Nick Drake to the list as well, I'll get Pink Moon and Bryter Layter.

Five Leaves Left > Bryter Layter. And that's a fact.

COBL_04 said:
[/B]

Which album do you want to test drive? I can upload. I have all of them.

Back
Top Bottom