The bands and artists that I've decided to check out in '08!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with LM about Lifes Rich Pageant. I think it's a much more consistent album (and happens to be my favorite).

If you want to go late-period, New Adventures in Hi-Fi is probably their most eclectic, but a newbie probably won't like all of it.

Haven't done one of these in a while... :hmm:

Review: The Who - Who's Next
Not too sure why I picked up Who's Next in favour of Born to Run, or Let it Bleed, Beggar's Banquet, Highway 61 Revisited, Pink Moon, etc, but I did, and am very very glad. I was impressed a lot by this album. Didn't know if I'd like The Who, but I'm glad I went for them.

Baba O'Riley - Perfect start to the album, and I've loved it since I first heard it (a snippet on House included). The vocals are just sublime. Loses a point for not the best ever outro, but man, what a song. 9

Bargain - Another solid rock, with a great bridge in the middle where it changes down a fear gears. More what I thought they'd be like. Top outro. 7

Love Ain't For Keeping - Your basic rock track, I suppose, but I love these vocals. Who sings in this band? Townshend or Daltrey? Great harmonies. 7

My Wife - These vocals are a bit more annoying I'm afraid. Gets some points back for subject matter, the trumpets, "All I did was..." and the outro. 7

The Song is Over - Who plays piano in this band. It's sensational. I love this song. It starts all balladry with fitting vocals, and then it becomes a rock track with even better vocals. Builds and builds. Loove it. Yet another ripper of an outro. 9

Getting in Tune - Another one which starts a bit balladry with, yes you guessed it, top vocals, and then it becomes a ripping fun rock sing-a-long. Rock. 8

Going Mobile - Probably one of the *worse* tracks on the album, but it's no means bad. Great musicianship and playing, terrific in the background. Love the beep beep! Quality outro. 6

Behind Blue Eyes - A little tarnished for me because I had to hear the Limp Bizkit version first when it came out a few years back, and I keep getting the picture. But this is so much better. Blows Fred Durst the fuck out the picture at precisely 2:18 when it just goes beyond. Terrific. 8

Won't Get Fooled Again - Not quite as good as I'd hoped, but still magic all the way through. A real rocker, and the rock scream :faint: Loses points for the annoying as hell "well I tilt my cap to the new constitution" bit which makes me want to get a coobra and do a line dance. Otherwise, magic. 8

I want to get The Who Sell Out, and I hear Quadrophenia is good, as is My Generation, whilst Tommy is not so good, and worth having only because it's "Tommy". Opinions?

Quadrophenia is probably the next-best Who album and The Who Sell Out is great.

Don't forget the Live at Leeds album, just to hear that version of "A Quick One"

It's the meat and potatoes, man.

COBL_04 said:
Baba O'Riley - Perfect start to the album, and I've loved it since I first heard it (a snippet on House included). The vocals are just sublime. Loses a point for not the best ever outro, but man, what a song.

[/B]

its like the best outro ever :drool:

^
l

Fact

Still, Tommy is a whole lot better than Pink Floyd's The Wall. So you have to get Tommy before getting that one.
:)

Popmartijn said:
Still, Tommy is a whole lot better than Pink Floyd's The Wall. So you have to get Tommy before getting that one.
:)

False.

Black bear.

What I'm going to try and do is there are 12 months in a year, so I'll narrow it down to four artists/bands, and devote three months to each, buying three or four albums in those three months. The Who is already locked in, and for some reason I really want to check out Nick Drake, so the final two are coming out of Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, REM or Bruce Springsteen...

And Lemel, my reluctance to get Tommy stems directly from your "most overrated album ever" thread.

Since you love JB just as much as me....

I believe that quite a few from Springsteen's back catalouge is on sale for $9.99

Also, even though your not listing checking them out...basically all the Queen Albums were $9.99....which i thought was darn good!....I got Live At The Bowl (2 discs) for $10...C'mon!

JB, I would live there if could. A LOT of there albums are on sale for $10, but unfortunately, the ones that aren't are normally $27, which is why I didn't get The Bends.

When did you try for the bends?. It should be down to $20ish now with the Radiohead box set and all.

Heck I can post it to you for free....since i have 2 official copies (I brought the big Radiohead Box-set)

Well, went to JB today, in pursuit of either Quadrophenia or The Who Sell Out, they had a 'special import' version of Quadrophenia, but it had 2cds and was 30 bucks. There was not one copy of Sell Out, but about 20 copies of Tommy, marked down. Go figure. So I wandered over to Nick Drake, found Pink Moon, and bought that.

I'll hit back

Speaking of bands to check out, look up MGMT. It appears I'm getting into electroclash almost a decade too late, but these guys write good, ironic, poppy electronica.

Back
Top Bottom