The bands and artists that I've decided to check out in '08! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:54 AM
I like Nick Drake and all, but once you've heard one of his albums, you've heard all three.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I like Nick Drake and all, but once you've heard one of his albums, you've heard all three.
As much as I love Nick Drake, I'm going to have to agree with you there. But to be fair, he didn't have much of a chance to expand his sound, did he?

Of the three, Pink Moon is definitely my favourite.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #33
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:54 AM
I'm burning my friend Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left, and the best thing is, they all both fit on one disc.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
45:33

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Re: Re: The bands and artists that I've decided to check out in '08!

Well I just discovered he only has three albums, so funds taken into account, I'll get them all. I'm going to get Pink Moon first though.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Which album do you want to test drive? I can upload. I have all of them.
Umm if it's not too much trouble, could you possibly upload Green? I'm not tooooo keen on it right now, don't ask why, but I'll test drive it.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:54 AM
I still don't own Green and I've been an REM fan for a while now. There is just something unpurchasable about it, even though it obviously has some cracker songs (Orange Crush, Stand, World Leader Pretend). I keep holding off for whatever reason, though I'll probably buy Accelerate as soon as it comes out...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Green is crap. Really. It's an unfortunate example of a major label debut that's pretty shallow. While you have some really beautiful tracks like You Are The Everything and Wold Leader Pretend, and a couple of rockers in Turn You Inside Out and Orange Crush, the rest comes off as very lightweight, even likeable stuff like Pop Song 89. And I shouldn't even have to mention the unfortunate Shiny Happy People precursor Stand.

Arguably the worst album before Bill Berry left.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

I like Green, but it's a little too polished.

Turn You Inside Out is the same somg as Finest Worksong.

But yeah, some great songs: You Are the Everything, World Leader Pretend, and I Remember California, which really grew on me (I disliked it at first).

The Untitled track at the end is really nice, too. Charming little ditty, with the non-Stipe band members switching up instruments ... if I recall correctly, I think Buck is playing drums on that.

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've watched it, but in the Tourfilm concert video, Bill Berry plays bass on You Are the Everything. Although now I'm not sure what Mills was doing during that song. Buck on mandolin, Berry on bass ... Mills doing ... uh. Interpretive dance? I'll have to watch that soon. I haven't seen it in ages.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Green is crap. Really. It's an unfortunate example of a major label debut that's pretty shallow. While you have some really beautiful tracks like You Are The Everything and Wold Leader Pretend, and a couple of rockers in Turn You Inside Out and Orange Crush, the rest comes off as very lightweight, even likeable stuff like Pop Song 89. And I shouldn't even have to mention the unfortunate Shiny Happy People precursor Stand.

Arguably the worst album before Bill Berry left.
You are completely wrong. Green is a very good album. I don't consider it their best, but very good nonetheless. It's certainly better than Out Of Time.
When I listened to this one earlier this even I noticed that the songwriting quality is quite consistent on Green. The rockers, the acoustic tracks and the pop songs, they all complement each other.
BTW, Stand is a gloriously dumb pop song and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think that nowadays Green is overshadowed by its more popular (but weaker, IMO) successor Out Of Time, but it's a great, adventurous record. Give it a chance, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I still don't understand why most U2 fans love REM. I don't. I don't even like them. At all.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 PM
I love REM. I came to the band quite late in my life, though. But I don't regret it. I have all of their albums. Some I like more, some less, some I love. Michael Stipe's voice is magic, I really enjoy listening to their music.

However, there are other bands praised on this forum that I'm not so much into. I say each and everyone their own.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
I still don't understand why most U2 fans love REM. I don't. I don't even like them. At all.
I gotta go with you here. I love Life's Rich Pageant, but beyond I Believe, meh, who cares about the rest?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I still don't own Green and I've been an REM fan for a while now. There is just something unpurchasable about it, even though it obviously has some cracker songs (Orange Crush, Stand, World Leader Pretend). I keep holding off for whatever reason, though I'll probably buy Accelerate as soon as it comes out...
I hear ya. I bought Green very late. It's on sale all the time and I still wasn't too excited to get a hold of it because there were so many other albums I wanted to get and Green has some weird shit like Hairshirt and The Wrong Child. There are indeed some great songs too like the ones already mentioned but also some lightweight fluff like Stand. So yeah... I definitely prefer Out Of Time for sure!

I think the U2/REM fan connection comes from how in the early 90s, Automatic and Achtung were the 2 most respected rock albums of the time. Of course they've been contemporaries all along since the early 80s but both experimented in the 90s and shifted towards more personal songwriting and away from more political stuff. There are some similarities.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

That's a very good observation, Zoots. I'll add though that sonically they were moving in completely different directions--U2 adopted a very abrasive, European style in the early 90's eschewing their explorations of American rhythm & blues, whereas R.E.M. went all lush, patoral, etc. and was a much more natural progression from their earlier work. Their left turn, from a musical perspective, really didn't come until Monster, which kind of took everyone by surprise. Unfortunately, when they started getting really experimental with Hi-Fi, the listening public wasn't as into it, and the band's record sales began to steadily decline after that point.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

...which is a shame, because Hi-Fi is a stellar album.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #45
The Male

I don't LOVE everything REM does, and I certainly don't agree that Hi-Fi is a truly great record by any means, but Automatic and Murmur are classics that any and every lover of rock should have in their collection.

Now.