The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it's completely different than Anchorman, but I guess I was expecting something that did what Anchorman did. No movie has the same attitude or humor as Anchorman does, and I was hoping for something fresh and innovative with this movie. There was nothing interesting or new about the humor of Talladega Nights, and while that doesn't necessarily make it a bad comedy, it makes the film suffer in my book.

Yeah, I hope Will Ferrell doesn't get the Sandler Disease of making the same type of movie that gets progressively worse until he tries to branch into drama and fails miserably then tries the feel-good comedy scene.

That sounds an awful lot like what the Sports Guy said about Talladega Nights:

But as I was leaving the theater, I couldn't help but wonder where Ferrell's career is headed. Comedians usually have a five-to-six-year run of success before one of two things happens: Either they make so much money that they stop hanging around normal people and inevitably lose their sense of what's funny and not funny (see: Murphy, Eddie or Sandler, Adam), or they experience too much success and decide to prove themselves as real actors because it's the only real challenge left. Tom Hanks pulled it off the best; Jim Carrey, Michael Keaton and Robin Williams had mixed results; Sandler has bombed so far; and Bill Murray transformed his career to the point that it's weird to see him in "Stripes" or "Meatballs" now (even though he can play only one character: Bill Murray).

LemonMacPhisto said:
Yeah, I hope Will Ferrell doesn't get the Sandler Disease of making the same type of movie that gets progressively worse until he tries to branch into drama and fails miserably then tries the feel-good comedy scene.

Well if anyone saw 'Winter Passing' he plays a very underated role in that movie. He has the ability, let's see if he becomes a cliche or not. I'd like to see him branch out a little more...

inmyplace13 said:
That sounds an awful lot like what the Sports Guy said about Talladega Nights:

Yeah, I read that article this afternoon and agreed with him completely.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well if anyone saw 'Winter Passing' he plays a very underated role in that movie. He has the ability, let's see if he becomes a cliche or not. I'd like to see him branch out a little more...

I think Stranger Than Fiction will be his breakthrough dramedy role.

I'm going to bit you, Richy Bobbi, I'm going to bit you rehlly bed.
  • NASCAR is awesome
  • Sasha Baron Cohen is awesome
  • Will Ferrell is a 39 year old man who acts in films
How does that not make an awesome movie?

EDIT: Bill Murray is awesome :love:

inmyplace13 said:
I was hoping for something fresh and innovative with this movie. There was nothing interesting or new about the humor of Talladega Nights, and while that doesn't necessarily make it a bad comedy, it makes the film suffer in my book.

You guys are killing me! :lol:

It's a farce...a comedy. You guys are talking like it is a Wim Wenders film or something.

In all seriousness...think about the sexual lines it crossed for a lot of people (specifically the NASCAR type). I felt the people squirm in the theater! :up:

And again...it is NOT easy pulling off a Crystal Gayle shirt.

zoney! said:

In all seriousness...think about the sexual lines it crossed for a lot of people (specifically the NASCAR type). I felt the people squirm in the theater! :up:

good points

i did sit through about 35 minutes before I went and caught WTC

and it was a middle America audience

the "baby jesus" grace got some nervous laughs

and there were audible groans
when the French driver kissed his husband

zoney! said:

You guys are killing me! :lol:

I admit I am reading way too much into it. It's just after how fresh Anchorman was, this let me down.

Last edited:
I do think that some people take it way too seriously... I wa thinking after I saw that movie about how others would take it... I live in Miami and well most of the theatre was cracking up there were some who were dead silent throught the movie... but I can imagine how it might have been in some of the other states.

(I think my sister my cousin and I were the loudest ones in the entire theatre:reject:

yes

I think some southern nascar fans

might have been confussed

my first post

was
that I thought it was a documentary:huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom