The backlash against Hip Hop is coming... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:46 PM
The backlash against Hip Hop is coming...

Like musical trends past, it's day of reckoning will come. It may be next year, it may be five years from now (hopefully sooner than later), but for one will be delighted when it does.

The only question that remains is...will it be a resurgent rock music that will fill the void, or something else? I sure hope it's the former....

Cheers

Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess I'm not understanding both points of what you're saying.

Hip-hop is NOT a musical trend like say, swing music. It is a valid form of expression for the people it represents - which isn't yourself from what you have said. Just because you might not understand, respect or relate to something doesn't mean it's not a valid piece of music and not a "trend."

Another thing, "resurgent" rock music? Rock is extremely popular right now and is full of exciting rock bands that are all over radio and the video channels.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
yeah, i have no idea what the author of this thread is trying to say either.

in terms of mainstream radio, hiphop is pretty much the only inovative genre out there.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Hip-hop won't die. That's most of the African-American market right there, and you'll always have preteen white kids trying to be "badass." And mainstream music will always cycle between different degrees of crap. After all, look at all the "punk" that's "popular" right now?

Popular music will always suck, and caisenema here is right. All the original producers these days are hip-hop producers.

Melon
Old 03-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

now you're calling me caisenema too???

get it right!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

and by the way, rock music blows for the most part. i'd be careful before i go wishing for it to be any more popular than it already is.

think about it. does the world need another coldplay/nickelback/matchbox twenty?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

I agree with everything everyone has said. A musical genre which has been in the mainstream for 20 years now is not exactly a trend. In all honesty, hip hop is absolutely dominating the musical industry (in the US at least).

On a somewhat related tangent, there are TONS of hip hop acts that really should be given a chance, great stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, my theory is, if you don't like something, just don't listen to it. Find something you do like and listen to that instead.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:26 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I pretty much share the same sentiments as the majority of replies in this thread... except that I think the current iteration of rap in its mainstream form will lose favour (notice the difference between rap the medium and hip hop the cultural expression). The prevalent aesthetic of excesses in this mainstream type is reminiscent of the glam era rock, and it's only a matter of time before the demand is shifted towards a more organic and stripped-down hip hop mentality. Music has always worked in this cycle... crossing all genres.

"Hip Hop" will not go away. Rap will not go away. These collectively shouldn't go away. And for all the guitar-worshipping rock fans out there that loathe the prospects of this art form continuing... I hope you enjoy listening to the same albums for the rest of your life. Then again, the current self-referential state of stagnation in rock doesn't lend much hope to a different outcome.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I agree with everything everyone has said. A musical genre which has been in the mainstream for 20 years now is not exactly a trend. In all honesty, hip hop is absolutely dominating the musical industry (in the US at least).

On a somewhat related tangent, there are TONS of hip hop acts that really should be given a chance, great stuff.
Ditto, and I am so glad to see that people here aren't willing to jump on the "let's bash rap music" bandwagon. I swear, I don't know when it suddenly became cool to say that all rap music sucks, but it really annoys the heck out of me, especially after having to witness argument after argument with other people regarding what genre is "better" or "worse" than another, why this genre or that genre supposedly has no redeeming value, etc. And the people who say x genre sucks base this purely on stereotypes, no less, as well as on reasoning that could easily be applied to any other genre (ex: "All rappers do is sing about girls, drugs, and money." Yeah, so have a number of rock acts over the years...your point?).

The bottom line is that there's good and bad music in all genres, and even then, what is "good" and what is "bad" is still entirely personal opinion. Everyone should just listen to whatever they personally love to listen to and leave it at that.

Bah. Sorry about going off on a bit of a rant here, but that's just been something that's been bugging me a lot lately, and I'm just really glad to see that people here aren't falling into the same trap .

Angela
Old 03-14-2005, 11:42 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
I think the current iteration of rap in its mainstream form will lose favour (notice the difference between rap the medium and hip hop the cultural expression). The prevalent aesthetic of excesses in this mainstream type is reminiscent of the glam era rock, and it's only a matter of time before the demand is shifted towards a more organic and stripped-down hip hop mentality.
Wow cujo... that's hot
Quote:
Then again, the current self-referential state of stagnation in rock doesn't lend much hope to a different outcome.
Agreed. Nickelback/Matchbox20/ThreeDoorsDown and their ilk are killing rock music. Hip-hop's the only genre that's shaking things up right now.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Rap music is crap, no matter how many people like it.

That is not an opinion, but a fact no one can argue with. Deall with it.

Cheers,

J.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:08 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:46 AM
My rock-loving Dad has been saying "rap is just a passing fad" for the last 15 years or so,
Old 03-15-2005, 04:57 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Hip Hop and Rock are merging at the moment.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
And for all the guitar-worshipping rock fans out there that loathe the prospects of this art form continuing... I hope you enjoy listening to the same albums for the rest of your life. Then again, the current self-referential state of stagnation in rock doesn't lend much hope to a different outcome.
I love you cujo, and I want to have your babies.

No, but seriously, that sums up exactly how I feel about the whole 'rap is crap' argument.