The Bachelor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread about this show already. I am curious to know what you guys think of it. I have always enjoyed Blind Date, I find that show a hilarious guilty pleasure, but this show....although it's entertaining, something about it just bothers me.

I guess it's the huge number of women this guy gets to choose from, and that they are all under the same roof! I just think there's something so unnatural about competing for someone you are supposed to marry in an almost laboratory-like setting.

There's something so undignified about the way these women clamour for his attention and giggle and fawn all over him, agreeing with everything he says and telling him how cute he is, I mean these women are in their late 20s and early 30s, not in high school...where is their pride?

Two of the "contestants" were beauty pageant winners, who said that this time, instead of the title of Miss America, the were trying to win a man! This doesn't sound like a good basis for marriage to me. (I realise this is just supposed to be for a fun TV show, but still!) One woman who didn't make the first cut sobbed "I guess I just wasn't meant to get married!" Give me a break!

It also bugs me that the show where the woman gets to pick from 25 men is only 6 episodes! You'd think they'd want to target a female audience and that the women would be much more interested in checking out the men than the other way around. Just my h.o.

What do you think?

Last edited:
:yuck:

This reminds me an awful lot of the 1950's, where girls were required to take home economics class because you "needed" to know how to cook and sew to land a "good catch".

What a load of crap. :down:

That show really makes me cringe. I think it's incredibly sexist and the fact they're planning a Bachelorette version doesn't change my opinion of it. Talk about objectifying people...:mad:

I had to leave before I could really finish my first post so I'll finish my thought.

This goes back to the day when females were taught from birth that their primary goal in life was to land a good man who would take care of her. If you knew how to cook and sew and made a good appearance, you were set for life. Forget a career or making it on your own, if you weren't married by the time you were 23, you were considered an old maid. Why would these women want to make themselves look so desperate?

Women have worked too hard and come too far to go back to this crap. I have no respect for these women or the bachelor for that matter.

Mrs. Edge said:
I have always enjoyed Blind Date, I find that show a hilarious guilty pleasure, but this show....although it's entertaining, something about it just bothers me.

Agreed. The Bachelor's trashiness is kind of entertaining (I admit that I watched last season occasionaly), but I don't like the fact that the women throw themselves at the bachelor. It makes it seem like they have no self-respect and encourages the "women will do anything to get married" stereotype. And can you really get to know someone well enough to marry them in a matter of weeks? At least the couple from the last show didn't get engaged. And if The Bachelorette is only 6 episodes that's really not fair.

Back
Top Bottom