The Aussie Chat Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random news:

EVERYBODY is on fire, not just Edge. One of the commentators of today's cricket just remarked about the groundskeeper at Hobart's cricket ground: "he's on fire!" One of the co-commentators cracked up.

I wonder if they post here? :hmm: :wink:

unico said:
damn!!!!!! i went to fetch some triscuits and i missed it. i knew both immediately too.

axver, i remember when we could sleep on stones

The hell are triscuits? A deformed biscuit?

I remember when Bono wrote lyrics that made sense and didn't have forced rhymes like 'stones'.

Wait, no I can't, he's never made sense.

And you people aren't dragging me down into your innuendo. :tsk:

I'm going to Hershey for the DECA state competition. Remember the 30 page paper, Mia? Now we're making a presentation on it there, and then we get judged on both and find out if we make it to nationals.

Varitek said:
sleep on stones is a brilliant line

No it isn't! It doesn't even make sense. It's just a line forced to rhyme with 'moans'.

Crowded House's Whispers And Moans > Bono throwing "whispers and moans" into Ultra Violet

Axver said:

:lol:

I didn't actually hate SYCMIOYO to begin with. But it very quickly plummeted in my opinion and is now probably in my ten least favourite U2 songs. A similar thing happened with a lot of HTDAAB, really ...

At least the album SYCMIOYO isn't as shitty as that alternate version from Unreleased & Rare.

I loved sycmioyo and md and they have both lost a lot of stock for me.

phail ax. varitek is right, it is a brilliant lyric.

rnt_nib_triscuit.jpg

unfortunately these are roasted garlic flavor. i love garlic so much i'd rub it all over my body, regardless if i was being attacked by vampires. yet... i'm finding it doesn't mix too well with magic hat.

Last edited:
Axver said:

The hell are triscuits? A deformed biscuit?

I remember when Bono wrote lyrics that made sense and didn't have forced rhymes like 'stones'.

Wait, no I can't, he's never made sense.

And you people aren't dragging me down into your innuendo. :tsk:

triscuits are delicious crackers. I don't even know how to translate the word cracker but they are great, either plain or with cheese or hummus or whatnot.

unico said:

[im]http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/images/rnt_nib_triscuit.jpg[/img]

unfortunately these are roasted garlic flavor. i love garlic so much i'd rub it all over my body, regardless if i was being attacked by vampires. yet... i'm finding it doesn't mix too well with magic hat.

:lmao: i LOVE the roasted garlic triscuits, which are particularly good with cheese I think. but yeah, phail with magic hat

45'd like the number of beers under my bed (actually that is probably a low estimate)

Varitek said:

I loved sycmioyo and md and they have both lost a lot of stock for me.

I adored Miracle Drug. It was one of my top two songs from the album initially. But within a couple of weeks it declined, and its suckage live with Bono's rambling speech didn't help. Then I heard it last January for the first time in over a year and couldn't believe just how weak and uninspired it seemed to me.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm going to Hershey for the DECA state competition. Remember the 30 page paper, Mia? Now we're making a presentation on it there, and then we get judged on both and find out if we make it to nationals.

What is DECA? some sort of accademic decathalon, or one of those high school science things, or what?

45'd like colt

unico said:

[im]http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/images/rnt_nib_triscuit.jpg[/img]

Ah, so they're a kind of cracker by the looks of things. Here I was, expecting some kind of ultimate biscuit. I mean a proper biscuit. Not your weird American things.

Yeah, take that, Varitek and your baiting!

Varitek said:
45'd like the number of beers under my bed (actually that is probably a low estimate)

Needs more wine. :tsk:

Needs more Steven Wilson. :tsk:

hardyharhar said:
Rumor has it there is another surprise gig tonight in Luxembourg :lol:

Any truth to this :)

No. It's in Andorra.

U2's roving tour of art galleries in European mini-states. :drool:

:wink:

Axver said:

No it isn't! It doesn't even make sense. It's just a line forced to rhyme with 'moans'.

Crowded House's Whispers And Moans > Bono throwing "whispers and moans" into Ultra Violet

You are really wrong on this one. No wonder you don't like UV.

Let's review.

You bury your treasure
Where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret
That's been passed around
There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no one can sleep

I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap

I assume you get this part. I've bolded the key information, but the rest is great too. Something is wrong; something is falling apart.

I remember
When we could sleep on stones

Sleep on stones - you were so comfortable together you could get through anything, sleep without waking each other up (quite a skill) etc

Now we lie together
In whispers and moans
When I was all messed up
And I had opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb
Hanging over my bed

There is a great amount of agitation here. It is tempting and even confusing to interpret whispers and moans as sexual/seductive but I don't think that's what it is. Especially because then we have past tense here. There's something wrong, which is one of the most intriguing things about the song given the first verse and the refrain.

But it doesn't make any fucking sense. Sleep on stones? That's got to hurt.

It's like it's meant to sound meaningful, but it's just junk.

this is so frustrating with ES - I know exactly what needs to be done and how I want to do it but I'm having trouble getting the program to do it.

Axver said:
But it doesn't make any fucking sense. Sleep on stones? That's got to hurt.

It's like it's meant to sound meaningful, but it's just junk.

sleeping on stones does hurt that's the point. they could get through anything, they weren't bothered by anything.

also i am having trouble pinpointing just exactly when I want to cut in and out for the part i'm replacing

Varitek said:

sleeping on stones does hurt that's the point. they could get through anything, they weren't bothered by anything.

But ... that's not at all how I fear it. I hear it as "hey, things used to be really fucked", not "we could get through anything". Honestly, some of the lines seem to be saying things used to be great and now aren't, while others like the stones one seem to be saying things used to suck too.

"I remember when we could sleep on stones" is obviously Bono saying that they used to be able to handle anything.....the whispers and moans line denotes that they cannot even sleep in their own bed together any longer, restless, etc.

No spoken words said:
"I remember when we could sleep on stones" is obviously Bono saying that they used to be able to handle anything.....the whispers and moans line denotes that they cannot even sleep in their own bed together any longer, restless, etc.

QFT

You are so outnumbered Ax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom