The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slapnutz

Refugee
This is a film I've been waiting over five years for, and it looks like it's going to deliver. Early reviews are comparing it to the works of Leone, Peckinpah and Ford. I can't get some of the trailer's visuals out of my head...it's just so damn haunting. And the score composed by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis...

Hi-Res trailer
HD 480
HD 720
HD 1080

Last edited:
I was going to make a thread about this yesterday, but I just posted the trailer in the random talk thread.

It's beautiful.

I've always been a Brad Pitt supporter, ever since A River Runs Through It, and it's been hard lately because he's been slumming for a while, save for his supporting work in Babel, which was well done. It's nice to see him appearing in something prestigious again, even if this one might not be stretching his chops too much.

Next year has him appearing in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for David Fincher (who's really brought out the best in him), and it should be the toughest thing he's ever done, playing a guy who ages backwards over the course of the film.

High, high hopes for that one.

They filmed some of this movie here in Winnipeg in the downtown area where some really old buildings still stand.

Stunning scenery - looks like it could be interesting... :hmm:

This looks like The Prestige to 3:10 to Yuma's The Illusionist.

Pitt's gonna be excellent, but I really think Casey Affleck's gonna steal the show. Or Sam Rockwell. Or Zooey Deschanel.

:drool:

I'm a sucker for Americana films on the likes of Westerns, so I'll defnitely be watching this. I'm never been much of a Pitt fan, I don't know why since I enjoy some of his films, but I'll defintiely will be watching this! Visuals already look amazing.

My rather grumpy colleague saw this two nights ago (lucky bastard) at a press screening. He reckons it's one of the strongest films to come out of Hollywood in years, and it boasts career best performances from Pitt (really menacing) and Affleck (creepy in a Jennifer Jason Leigh Single White Female kind of way).

It seems there's a few different cuts knocking about. The version he saw was just shy of the 3 hour mark.

Form what I could gather, the 3 hour cut was one of the first cuts made. I wonder if the studio cuts are just as long then, or if they just kept the original cut of the film.

I hope its the former.

Lancemc said:
Form what I could gather, the 3 hour cut was one of the first cuts made. I wonder if the studio cuts are just as long then, or if they just kept the original cut of the film.

I hope its the former.
I'm going to call the studio tomorrow. See if I can get to the bottom of this, if only for my own peace of mind.

That would be sweet if you could find that out. I'm really curious to know which cut they're showing.

Lancemc said:
That would be sweet if you could find that out. I'm really curious to know which cut they're showing.
Studio buddy got back. He says they've done three cuts (130 minutes, 160 minutes, and 185 minutes). He says the 160 minute version will be released.

:drool:

I hope that means we'll get to see the 185-minute cut on DVD. Thanks for the info.

After the Variety review, this film has jumped up to my #2 spot. :combust:

I'm not even sure how many times I've watched the trailer now. I just have the 720p version minimized in my dock, and every now and then I'll just bring it up and watch it. It's mezmerizing and beautiful.

I can't friggen wait to see this movie, my god... The imagery in the trailer alone is enough for me to priase this film. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' soundtrack is topnotch as well. The three track on the movie's official site are all wonderful.

I haven't seen Dominik's first and only other film, Chopper yet, but I'd like to before seeing this one. If Jesse James turns out to be half as good as it looks, it could be the start of a very successful and satisfying career for this guy. Hope it delivers. :up:

Now just give me a real "There Will Be Blood" trailer, P.T. Pleeeeeeease? :sad:

Lancemc said:
I'm not even sure how many times I've watched the trailer now. I just have the 720p version minimized in my dock, and every now and then I'll just bring it up and watch it. It's mezmerizing and beautiful.

I can't friggen wait to see this movie, my god... The imagery in the trailer alone is enough for me to priase this film. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' soundtrack is topnotch as well. The three track on the movie's official site are all wonderful.
Right there with you. I'm completely obsessed with the trailer. People are starting to worry about me.

And just when it couldn't get any worse, along comes another trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808724433/video/3915891/

A little more action packed but beautiful all the same.

Lancemc said:
I haven't seen Dominik's first and only other film, Chopper yet, but I'd like to before seeing this one. If Jesse James turns out to be half as good as it looks, it could be the start of a very successful and satisfying career for this guy. Hope it delivers. :up:

It's a great little movie and definitely worth checking out. Eric Bana's performance is incredible.

"I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture."

The hole in the wall from the fatal bullet (that wasn't actually made by the fatal bullet):
STA71383.jpg

The relocated home where it really happened:
STA71379.jpg

How's this movie going? Wasn't it release on 21st September in the US?
There hasen't seemed to be any new information about it,

Seems like its been swept under the rug.

It goes into wide release in the next couple weeks. It's currently only playing in a couple theaters.

I saw this today, and I really enjoyed it. I was exhausted because I've slept very little the past few days, but I was dozing off at times, so it made it hard to follow certain moments in the middle. I appreciate that the director had his own visual style and loved the way the train looked going through the woods bringing on this blinding light. However, some of the slower moments could be a bit taxing, but I knew that from critiques going in. Still, the last third was great. The acting was great, especially Casey Affleck and I didn't expect that at all.

Also, the portrayal of Jesse as complicated and vicious, but also guilt-ridden and insecure show how complicated and conflicted murderers are. It was a very nice touch.

I thought the film's predictable plot title meant I wouldn't get any sense of suspence or intrigue, but I very much admired and enjoyed this film.

Pitt's portrayal of James is currently my favorite performance of the year. :up:

You should check out director Andrew Dominik's debut film, Chopper with Eric Bana. You'd probably really enjoy it.

Lancemc said:
Pitt's portrayal of James is currently my favorite performance of the year. :up:

You should check out director Andrew Dominik's debut film, Chopper with Eric Bana. You'd probably really enjoy it.
Is it in the cinemas (I don't remember seeing the name) or on rental?

If I see this, you have to check out BSG, though.

Back
Top Bottom