The Ashes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yertle-the-turtle said:
Vaughn is enforcing the follow on.

Smart move. Geez, way this is going, dare we hope for victory by an innings?

Hey, you know what's funny? NZ just beat India. Australia's got their backs against the wall against England.

Now who's the better cricketing country? The answer to that can be found by answering another question: who's got Shane 'God' Bond?

:sad: Australia what are you doing????

England bowlers - Brilliant job, some magnificent bowling. Should be interesting few hours.

:lmao: I hope Australia get a few wickets and make it really interesting. Expect that they won't but still hoping.

Axver said:
Ponting is a disgrace as captain.

His actions on Saturday night we appauling - I'm not just saying that because he is Ponting. No captain should carry on like he did, either strategically or ethically.

Abusing members of the opposition team, both on the field & balcony for 30 seconds straight is no mean feat... and I honestly believe deserves a suspension of 1-2 tests (and I think I am being leniant).

Also it was a poor move strategically because he showed the entire England team (and his own) that we was under enermous pressure... and couldn't quite take. Sending out negative messages like that is a cardinal sin as a captain.

For those two reasons if I were Australia's covenor of selectors I would be looking very closely at replacing Ponting. (I was against the Ponting selection from the start although I'm not sure Gilchrist is the right choice either).

I missed all that, so won't comment one way or the other but bad sportsmanship either on or of the field (or even here :lol:), no matter how frustrated you are is just not on.

England did really well to hang on and win. I think if Australia had another 20-30 runs it would have really gone down to the wire. The ball Lee bowled to get Flintoff out was absolutely brilliant. Warne's bowling was superb. Great match all round.

Personally, one of the top order batsmen for Australia will have to go, though I am not sure who. Hayden is a likely candidate but he bats well on a fast wicket (like that dangerous ground, Perth :lol:) so Lords may just be to his liking.

Roll on the next test.:wink:

timothius said:
Abusing members of the opposition team, both on the field & balcony for 30 seconds straight is no mean feat... and I honestly believe deserves a suspension of 1-2 tests (and I think I am being leniant).

Agreed. Pardon the pun, but Ponting's behaviour and actions simply weren't cricket. It would be unprofessional behaviour from any member of the team, but it's an exceptional low from a captain. Shooting your mouth off is never the way to behave, and I love the irony of how he was mouthing off about a substitute fielder ... who had replaced someone who had gone to hospital! Geez, Ponting, at least find out the facts before you make a scene.

I would be disappointed if he weren't stripped of his captaincy, but considering that Australia worships Warne as a hero rather than banning him for life, I won't be shocked if he stays on. Though Gilchrist is now doing the press conferences, so who knows ...?

Tania said:
Personally, one of the top order batsmen for Australia will have to go, though I am not sure who. Hayden is a likely candidate but he bats well on a fast wicket (like that dangerous ground, Perth :lol:) so Lords may just be to his liking.

I agree I think the Australian Media will be calling for Hados head by Decemeber... to many poor performances over the past year.

I think that Lords will suit Hados beautifully... thankfully the final test is being played at The Oval. :wink:

Axver said:

I would be disappointed if he weren't stripped of his captaincy, but considering that Australia worships Warne as a hero rather than banning him for life, I won't be shocked if he stays on. Though Gilchrist is now doing the press conferences, so who knows ...?

The problem is... there really isn't enough public or team pressure for that to happen because the Australian team have successfully turned the issue away from Ponting's unlawful farce and onto England's perfectly legal cricket. Australia may have a case that England's tactics are "outside the spirit of the game" (although I disagree), but for a team that gave us the underarm and the 1999 World Cup debacle... comments such as that are a bit rich.

timothius said:

The problem is... there really isn't enough public or team pressure for that to happen because the Australian team have successfully turned the issue away from Ponting's unlawful farce and onto England's perfectly legal cricket. Australia may have a case that England's tactics are "outside the spirit of the game" (although I disagree), but for a team that gave us the underarm and the 1999 World Cup debacle... comments such as that are a bit rich.

Good point. I do wonder if any heads are going to roll or not. If Australia win the final test and retain the Ashes, definitely not, even though they've played some utterly shit cricket. Australia needs to fix its top order and fast! It's people like Brett Lee and Shane Warne who seem to be scoring the bulk of the runs, not the people who are meant to! And Ponting's captaincy is a joke and he needs to go.

Axver said:

Good point. I do wonder if any heads are going to roll or not. If Australia win the final test and retain the Ashes, definitely not, even though they've played some utterly shit cricket. Australia needs to fix its top order and fast! It's people like Brett Lee and Shane Warne who seem to be scoring the bulk of the runs, not the people who are meant to! And Ponting's captaincy is a joke and he needs to go.

Personally I think Buchannan should go. The line that I saw Langer spitting out on Sunday was "We haven't played our best cricket". Well if that is the case - then it is on Buchannan's head for not using the correct processes to get Australia performing at their best. It's not the first time this has happened... India '01, the VB Series in 01/02, India's 04 tour, Australia's inability to win dead rubbers... Australia frequently plays "below standard"... and for that reason I would replace Buchannan with Rixon and remove hand-puppet captain Ponting... I honestly don't know who with though at the moment.

timothius said:

I agree I think the Australian Media will be calling for Hados head by Decemeber... to many poor performances over the past year.

I think that Lords will suit Hados beautifully... thankfully the final test is being played at The Oval. :wink:

:lmao: Two hours sleep! Two hours sleep! Sorry :reject: I knew it was at the Oval :huh:

Axver said:

but considering that Australia worships Warne as a hero rather than banning him for life...

For what? Because he is stupid idiot off the field and everyone knows about it? That has nothing to do with his cricket and while I believe he should be kicked really hard where it hurts it doesn't have anything to do with his job.

Back
Top Bottom