The Arcade Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:

Try to find some for Salt Lake, HG and I will be there (waiting in the GA line). :up:

I wish. I have a conflict with that date. I want Vegas or Portland and I could even make one of the Chicago shows. But I'm losing hope. :grumpy:

u2popmofo said:

Why do you hate HG and I so much?

:(

:wink:

because you'll be there and i won't
:grumpy:

I still don't love Funeral as much as everyone else does but I'd love to see them live.

u2popmofo said:

:love: Wilderness :love:

Unfortunately, I dont think that would happen. They are barely even touring for their album, because they all actually have "real" jobs and cant afford it. Hopefully this album is a success for them!

Are you in Utah then?

Saint George, Utah

I was lucky enough to score GA's on General sale!!

The record is ok. Not really that original. Hardly worthy of the praise many here heap on them.

$ would probably be better spent buying a Dylan or Replacements album you don't already own.

I see a bandwagon.

:shrug:

Last edited:
macphisto23 said:

Saint George, Utah

I was lucky enough to score GA's on General sale!!

Very nice, I'm in Provo (for now). Moving to Pleasant Grove this week.

HG and I have GA's too (from the presale).

Dont tell me you actually got the Wilderness album from a store down there!

MrBrau1 said:
The record is ok. Not really that original. Hardly worthy of the praise many here heap on them.

$ would probably be better spent buying a Dylan or Replacements album you don't already own.

I see a bandwagon.

:shrug:

That's cool.
I thought the same things at first.
But I kept listening to it, and much like a good Modest Mouse album, things jump at you and you grow to really appreciate it.
great lines like "Time keeps creeping through the neighborhood. Killing old folks, waking up babies, just like we knew it would"
just have a real EMOTIONAL impact on me

Every spotlight band fan is at some point subjected to the label of bandwagoning, simply because most folks aren't fortunate enough to have "been there" since the first gig or birth of the eldest band member. Hype is the device that brings attention (negative or positive) to new artists, whether it is merited or not, and exposure is one of the few ways that music followers are given the opportunity to discover new artists. The anti-indie and anti-mainstream positions argue the same points about commercial intentions and shallow fan perspectives, and the two sides often fail equally in their disrespect of the artist. It is difficult not to be guilty of shortchanging a band when listening to an album that has been on the petlist of critics... but in the end, the intention of the band and the success of its idea far outweighs the intentions of those that overly praise.

In my opinion, Funeral exceeds both the commercial and critical push (and yes, I DID see the birth of each of the band members).

Regardless of that blurb I just wrote, MrBrau1's comments are relatively accurate, and in that manner he always keeps the more superficial alternative indie worshippers accountable for their tastes. In your honour MrBrau, I am going to write an anti-anti-indie album of German Funk Kentucky Blues inspired by your battle cries for authenticity.

I've proposed the name SauerBrau... but we're still negotiating our title and level of hype with the company executives.

:sexywink:

cujo said:
Every spotlight band fan is at some point subjected to the label of bandwagoning, simply because most folks aren't fortunate enough to have "been there" since the first gig or birth of the eldest band member. Hype is the device that brings attention (negative or positive) to new artists, whether it is merited or not, and exposure is one of the few ways that music followers are given the opportunity to discover new artists. The anti-indie and anti-mainstream positions argue the same points about commercial intentions and shallow fan perspectives, and the two sides often fail equally in their disrespect of the artist. It is difficult not to be guilty of shortchanging a band when listening to an album that has been on the petlist of critics... but in the end, the intention of the band and the success of its idea far outweighs the intentions of those that overly praise.

In my opinion, Funeral exceeds both the commercial and critical push (and yes, I DID see the birth of each of the band members).

Regardless of that blurb I just wrote, MrBrau1's comments are relatively accurate, and in that manner he always keeps the more superficial alternative indie worshippers accountable for their tastes. In your honour MrBrau, I am going to write an anti-anti-indie album of German Funk Kentucky Blues inspired by your battle cries for authenticity.

I've proposed the name SauerBrau... but we're still negotiating our title and level of hype with the company executives.

:sexywink:

I like that song "Wake Up", and I haven't seen a Vertigo show yet.

My next record purchase will be Neil Diamond's Essential Hits.

I'm old and cranky.

Love what you love. But REALLY fucking love it.

This is music, not the latest pair of Jordache jeans.

Last edited:
Right-o.

:up:

(My recommendation would be the Neil DVD though).

Forever in Blue Jeans yo.

cujo said:
Right-o.

:up:

(My recommendation would be the Neil DVD though).

Forever in Blue Jeans yo.

WHooo!. You made your post, including Blue Jeans, as I was editing my post to include a reference to Jordache jeans!

That's 2 in 1 day. My girl and I were singing "The Tide Is High" by Blondie during dinner. When I played my ITunes after dinner (on random), "The Tide is High" came on.

Freaky Deaky.:ohmy:

I don't know. I never even heard of The Arcade Fire until a friend with pretty great musical taste gave me a copy of Funeral. I went in with pretty much no preconcieved notions about the band. I listened to the album, and was just blown away by how good it was. I mean, I just immediately fell in love with this band. I certainly didn't jump on a "bandwagon" because my love for this music was, I guess you could call it "sincere".

Well, for me, no bandwagon was involved and the praise is not without merit. I read someone mentioning the band here at Interference (this was before the videos came out and half of Canada was all "OMGILUVTHEARCADEFIRE") and decided to check out the album. I loved it after my first couple of listens. It took a while for Win's voice to grow on me, but grow on me it has. These guys (and girls!) have a passion for their music that is less evident in some of the bands coming out these days. And they do sound quite original. The only band I've heard lately that sounds even remotely similar is Wolf Parade, and we all know who imitated who. ;)

That said, I'm not as fanatical over the band as some people are here. I think they're a good band, but they're definitely not my all-time favourite.

MrBrau1 said:

I tend to agree although I would never criticize other people for loving it and wanting to heap praise on it--if people feel that way, then let the heaping continue. But I personally have listened to it over and over and I just keep going, "yeah? and?" It got to the point where I was making myself listen to it because I was frustrated that I wasn't loving it like everyone else. But I did love them when I saw the KCRW in-studio performance and also when I saw them on something else on TV so I think that something happens live that isn't there for me on the record. I would definitely fork over good $ to see them live and probably still not listen to the record much.

so.. who else thinks the fact that they're supporting u2 in ottawa and montreal is completely, completely awesome??

SkeeK said:
so.. who else thinks the fact that they're supporting u2 in ottawa and montreal is completely, completely awesome??

:wave:

Seriously though, I can't wait until Arcade Fire comes to Philly or New Jersey on their own. I NEED IT!!

This band is quickly becoming my new obsession. They are already number 2 or 3 for me. :|

I love them. I FINALLY picked up their debut EP today.

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Well, I mean, not Funergasmically good, but it's still :drool: :drool: :drool:

Man, I really hope they release a new album sometime in the beginning of next year and then tour again next summer.

I'll be SOO ready!

I played Arcade Fire last night for a friend who has rejected every band I've tried to turn her on to recently (Hope of the States, Manic Street Preachers, Muse, The Verve, to name a few). I stood right by the CD player prepared to hit stop after a few minutes because that's been my experience with her. But instead she sat quietly studying the lyric sheet and then suddenly went nuts after one song--"I love this already!!" I had the revelation that this would be her band when I realized she loves Modest Mouse and Talking Heads. I think after one listen she likes them better than I do after months of listening. I found myself getting into them more just sharing it with her. :)

Back
Top Bottom