The Arcade Fire - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo


Try to find some for Salt Lake, HG and I will be there (waiting in the GA line).
I wish. I have a conflict with that date. I want Vegas or Portland and I could even make one of the Chicago shows. But I'm losing hope.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #182
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


I wish. I have a conflict with that date.
Why do you hate HG and I so much?




__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo


Why do you hate HG and I so much?




because you'll be there and i won't


I still don't love Funeral as much as everyone else does but I'd love to see them live.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #184
Refugee
 
-macphisto-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,401
Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo


Wilderness

Unfortunately, I dont think that would happen. They are barely even touring for their album, because they all actually have "real" jobs and cant afford it. Hopefully this album is a success for them!


Are you in Utah then?
Saint George, Utah

I was lucky enough to score GA's on General sale!!
__________________
-macphisto- is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 05:08 AM
The record is ok. Not really that original. Hardly worthy of the praise many here heap on them.

$ would probably be better spent buying a Dylan or Replacements album you don't already own.

I see a bandwagon.

__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #186
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23


Saint George, Utah

I was lucky enough to score GA's on General sale!!
Very nice, I'm in Provo (for now). Moving to Pleasant Grove this week.

HG and I have GA's too (from the presale).

Dont tell me you actually got the Wilderness album from a store down there!
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Basstrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,726
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
The record is ok. Not really that original. Hardly worthy of the praise many here heap on them.

$ would probably be better spent buying a Dylan or Replacements album you don't already own.

I see a bandwagon.

That's cool.
I thought the same things at first.
But I kept listening to it, and much like a good Modest Mouse album, things jump at you and you grow to really appreciate it.
great lines like "Time keeps creeping through the neighborhood. Killing old folks, waking up babies, just like we knew it would"
just have a real EMOTIONAL impact on me
__________________
Basstrap is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cujo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Province
Posts: 5,820
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Every spotlight band fan is at some point subjected to the label of bandwagoning, simply because most folks aren't fortunate enough to have "been there" since the first gig or birth of the eldest band member. Hype is the device that brings attention (negative or positive) to new artists, whether it is merited or not, and exposure is one of the few ways that music followers are given the opportunity to discover new artists. The anti-indie and anti-mainstream positions argue the same points about commercial intentions and shallow fan perspectives, and the two sides often fail equally in their disrespect of the artist. It is difficult not to be guilty of shortchanging a band when listening to an album that has been on the petlist of critics... but in the end, the intention of the band and the success of its idea far outweighs the intentions of those that overly praise.

In my opinion, Funeral exceeds both the commercial and critical push (and yes, I DID see the birth of each of the band members).

Regardless of that blurb I just wrote, MrBrau1's comments are relatively accurate, and in that manner he always keeps the more superficial alternative indie worshippers accountable for their tastes. In your honour MrBrau, I am going to write an anti-anti-indie album of German Funk Kentucky Blues inspired by your battle cries for authenticity.

I've proposed the name SauerBrau... but we're still negotiating our title and level of hype with the company executives.

__________________
cujo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Every spotlight band fan is at some point subjected to the label of bandwagoning, simply because most folks aren't fortunate enough to have "been there" since the first gig or birth of the eldest band member. Hype is the device that brings attention (negative or positive) to new artists, whether it is merited or not, and exposure is one of the few ways that music followers are given the opportunity to discover new artists. The anti-indie and anti-mainstream positions argue the same points about commercial intentions and shallow fan perspectives, and the two sides often fail equally in their disrespect of the artist. It is difficult not to be guilty of shortchanging a band when listening to an album that has been on the petlist of critics... but in the end, the intention of the band and the success of its idea far outweighs the intentions of those that overly praise.

In my opinion, Funeral exceeds both the commercial and critical push (and yes, I DID see the birth of each of the band members).

Regardless of that blurb I just wrote, MrBrau1's comments are relatively accurate, and in that manner he always keeps the more superficial alternative indie worshippers accountable for their tastes. In your honour MrBrau, I am going to write an anti-anti-indie album of German Funk Kentucky Blues inspired by your battle cries for authenticity.

I've proposed the name SauerBrau... but we're still negotiating our title and level of hype with the company executives.

I like that song "Wake Up", and I haven't seen a Vertigo show yet.

My next record purchase will be Neil Diamond's Essential Hits.

I'm old and cranky.

Love what you love. But REALLY fucking love it.

This is music, not the latest pair of Jordache jeans.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cujo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Province
Posts: 5,820
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Right-o.



(My recommendation would be the Neil DVD though).

Forever in Blue Jeans yo.
__________________
cujo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Right-o.



(My recommendation would be the Neil DVD though).

Forever in Blue Jeans yo.
WHooo!. You made your post, including Blue Jeans, as I was editing my post to include a reference to Jordache jeans!

That's 2 in 1 day. My girl and I were singing "The Tide Is High" by Blondie during dinner. When I played my ITunes after dinner (on random), "The Tide is High" came on.

Freaky Deaky.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #192
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 06:08 AM
I don't know. I never even heard of The Arcade Fire until a friend with pretty great musical taste gave me a copy of Funeral. I went in with pretty much no preconcieved notions about the band. I listened to the album, and was just blown away by how good it was. I mean, I just immediately fell in love with this band. I certainly didn't jump on a "bandwagon" because my love for this music was, I guess you could call it "sincere".
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 08-11-2005, 08:10 AM   #193
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Well, for me, no bandwagon was involved and the praise is not without merit. I read someone mentioning the band here at Interference (this was before the videos came out and half of Canada was all "OMGILUVTHEARCADEFIRE") and decided to check out the album. I loved it after my first couple of listens. It took a while for Win's voice to grow on me, but grow on me it has. These guys (and girls!) have a passion for their music that is less evident in some of the bands coming out these days. And they do sound quite original. The only band I've heard lately that sounds even remotely similar is Wolf Parade, and we all know who imitated who.

That said, I'm not as fanatical over the band as some people are here. I think they're a good band, but they're definitely not my all-time favourite.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #194
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
The record is ok. Not really that original. Hardly worthy of the praise many here heap on them.
I tend to agree although I would never criticize other people for loving it and wanting to heap praise on it--if people feel that way, then let the heaping continue. But I personally have listened to it over and over and I just keep going, "yeah? and?" It got to the point where I was making myself listen to it because I was frustrated that I wasn't loving it like everyone else. But I did love them when I saw the KCRW in-studio performance and also when I saw them on something else on TV so I think that something happens live that isn't there for me on the record. I would definitely fork over good $ to see them live and probably still not listen to the record much.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #195
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
SkeeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,163
Local Time: 05:08 AM
so.. who else thinks the fact that they're supporting u2 in ottawa and montreal is completely, completely awesome??
__________________

__________________
SkeeK is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com