The Anti Metrosexual Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 AM
The Anti Metrosexual Thread

I despise the metrosexual culture and everything about it. Plain and simple. No redeeming qualities can be found in it. It is a bankrupt personal philosophy. You become defined by the possessions that you own or by your hair style or oil-free pores. It teaches self absorption and materialism. Let alone all of this, I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I agree for the most part, but us men should still try to look clean for the most part.

The only metrosexual thing i do is put gel in my hair every day.....

Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Re: The Anti Metrosexual Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Let alone all of this, I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.
One time at work, some of my dad's co-workers were talking about how only sissy guys wear pink. The next day, Dad wore his pink dress shirt.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

If you think masculinity is defined by the color of your shirt, then I think you should think again. Sorry, just my opinion.

There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to look nice, clean, etc. As long as it doesn't become a vain obsession, and as long as you don't define yourself by it.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
If you think masculinity is defined by the color of your shirt, then I think you should think again. Sorry, just my opinion.

There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to look nice, clean, etc. As long as it doesn't become a vain obsession, and as long as you don't define yourself by it.
I agree with looking clean and nice but it's the way that it's done. I'm not advocating the slob look by any means. I can look presentable using a $3 bottle of Pert and hair gel instead of using some $20 shampoo and expsensive hair gel. It's the people that believe there is some sort of status to be achieved by using the expensive crap that I have issue with.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I've only recently started spending more on hair products because I've found the more expensive things do work better for me. Some people have "problem" hair -I do

So that might be the issue, not "status"
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

metrosexuality is really a form of homophobia in disguise, and most straight men tend to get it wrong anyway. it's a way of appropriating some aspects of gay culture -- attention to grooming and fashion -- without having to deal with the socio-political baggage of being gay.

it's a bit like the suburban-white-teenager-wants-to-be-a-gansta phenomenon.

but as we know, "baby's always attracted to/ the things she's afriad of"

if you want to wax your chest, gell your hair up to high hell, spend all your money on clothes, drink only protein shakes ... by all means, go ahead and do so. most gay men don't do that. and we laugh at your ultra-gelled, sticky, hardened, withstand-a-hurricane hairstyles.

remember: when it comes to product, spend your money wisely and go to a real salon and not CVS; and if you think you're using too little of the product, that's probably the right amount.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I've only recently started spending more on hair products because I've found the more expensive things do work better for me. Some people have "problem" hair -I do

So that might be the issue, not "status"
It goes beyond the hair stuff. Buying $400 jeans or $800 purse is like a fuck you to the world. You could do other things with the money but you spend it all on you appearence. Hell buying a plasma tv would be better because at least other people could watch it.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 AM
I have a pink tshirt i just like the look of it...sissy or not...

My dad at work wore a pnk shirt in and some of the clients called him all sorts of things for it..he got his own back at one of them off by winking at them

Metrosexual...tis a dumb term...but i wear what i like...one of my hats has tassels on it and its orange, yellow multicoloured..i am also a guy with long hair...so i have to look after it, otherwise greasy mess...

eh but i don't do facials etc, but really it would not bother me if a mate did or anything... i don't really see the big deal...Metrosexual is just another style as much as going goth is...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
I serve MacPhisto

My only problem with the metro trend, and most fashion trends in general, is that the people who take them up and buy into it always pretend to be better than the people who don't. Well guess what: just because you want to buy clothes at an inflated cost and look like everyone else doesn't make you a better person, nor does it get rid of your flaws, you shallow shell of a person. Say people go to a bar or something; are they going to be more attracted to a mediocre looking guy wearing pink, with an armband, his hair spiked, stumbling and shouting like a douchebag? Or, are they going to be attracted to the other guy who looks decent, and is doing so without pandering to superficiality, and isn't acting like he has something to prove? ... I mean, I'd think the latter, but I don't go to bars for that reason anyway, so, you tell me.

Looking good and doing your own thing
Being intentionally fashionable and wearing what everyone else does

I don't have any fondness for someone taking up an arbitrary position on the advice of others and telling me what I should be doing, I guess is my thing. It's simple logic that colour of shirt, like colour of skin, doesn't change the kind of man or woman you are. Clothing is secondary to character, and it always will be. Beautiful people will always have it easier than non-beautiful people, but there's no sense in being resentful over that, it's not like anyone can control the beauty they've been given. I don't think that clothing alone can suck someone from the echelon of mediocrity into the realm of beauty, though. I think you're fooling yourself if you think stepping it up from 'I don't give a rat's ass about how I look' to 'hmm... semi-casual tonight' is going to make that much of a difference.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

It goes beyond the hair stuff. Buying $400 jeans or $800 purse is like a fuck you to the world. You could do other things with the money but you spend it all on you appearence. Hell buying a plasma tv would be better because at least other people could watch it.
Well, you could say this about LOTS of people, not just metrosexuals (think Paris Hilton, the kids on Laguna Beach, any A-list celeb, etc, etc). It sounds like you have a problem w/ people in general spending rediculous amounts on clothes and other novelty items.

I don't think metrosexuality is defined in terms of exactly how much you're spending. I know a metrosexual who buys all his clothes at Gap and Old Navy just like I do. It's more about the style and appearance in general, not how much you're spending to acheive that look. You can still look metro with a $30 pair of jeans, $20 dress shirt, and $3 bottle of hair gel.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

I think when a guy looks like he got everything done at a salon right next to me, that's taking it a bit far.

I like my guys a bit rough around the edges, personally.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I think when a guy looks like he got everything done at a salon right next to me, that's taking it a bit far.

I like my guys a bit rough around the edges, personally.

how much gel do you think LMJ uses?

Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Ok, that's one man who needs a trip to the salon!

And if he's next to me, I won't mind at all.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511