The Anti Metrosexual Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I despise the metrosexual culture and everything about it. Plain and simple. No redeeming qualities can be found in it. It is a bankrupt personal philosophy. You become defined by the possessions that you own or by your hair style or oil-free pores. It teaches self absorption and materialism. Let alone all of this, I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.

I agree for the most part, but us men should still try to look clean for the most part.

The only metrosexual thing i do is put gel in my hair every day.....

randhail said:
Let alone all of this, I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.

One time at work, some of my dad's co-workers were talking about how only sissy guys wear pink. The next day, Dad wore his pink dress shirt. :wink:

If you think masculinity is defined by the color of your shirt, then I think you should think again. Sorry, just my opinion.

There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to look nice, clean, etc. As long as it doesn't become a vain obsession, and as long as you don't define yourself by it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
If you think masculinity is defined by the color of your shirt, then I think you should think again. Sorry, just my opinion.

There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to look nice, clean, etc. As long as it doesn't become a vain obsession, and as long as you don't define yourself by it.

I agree with looking clean and nice but it's the way that it's done. I'm not advocating the slob look by any means. I can look presentable using a $3 bottle of Pert and hair gel instead of using some $20 shampoo and expsensive hair gel. It's the people that believe there is some sort of status to be achieved by using the expensive crap that I have issue with.

I've only recently started spending more on hair products because I've found the more expensive things do work better for me. Some people have "problem" hair -I do

So that might be the issue, not "status"

metrosexuality is really a form of homophobia in disguise, and most straight men tend to get it wrong anyway. it's a way of appropriating some aspects of gay culture -- attention to grooming and fashion -- without having to deal with the socio-political baggage of being gay.

it's a bit like the suburban-white-teenager-wants-to-be-a-gansta phenomenon.

but as we know, "baby's always attracted to/ the things she's afriad of"

if you want to wax your chest, gell your hair up to high hell, spend all your money on clothes, drink only protein shakes ... by all means, go ahead and do so. most gay men don't do that. and we laugh at your ultra-gelled, sticky, hardened, withstand-a-hurricane hairstyles.

;)

remember: when it comes to product, spend your money wisely and go to a real salon and not CVS; and if you think you're using too little of the product, that's probably the right amount.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I've only recently started spending more on hair products because I've found the more expensive things do work better for me. Some people have "problem" hair -I do

So that might be the issue, not "status"

It goes beyond the hair stuff. Buying $400 jeans or $800 purse is like a fuck you to the world. You could do other things with the money but you spend it all on you appearence. Hell buying a plasma tv would be better because at least other people could watch it.

I have a pink tshirt:eyebrow: i just like the look of it...sissy or not...

My dad at work wore a pnk shirt in and some of the clients called him all sorts of things for it..he got his own back at one of them off by winking at them:wink:

Metrosexual...tis a dumb term...but i wear what i like...one of my hats has tassels on it and its orange, yellow multicoloured:D..i am also a guy with long hair...so i have to look after it, otherwise greasy mess...

eh but i don't do facials etc, but really it would not bother me if a mate did or anything...:shrug: i don't really see the big deal...Metrosexual is just another style as much as going goth is...

My only problem with the metro trend, and most fashion trends in general, is that the people who take them up and buy into it always pretend to be better than the people who don't. Well guess what: just because you want to buy clothes at an inflated cost and look like everyone else doesn't make you a better person, nor does it get rid of your flaws, you shallow shell of a person. Say people go to a bar or something; are they going to be more attracted to a mediocre looking guy wearing pink, with an armband, his hair spiked, stumbling and shouting like a douchebag? Or, are they going to be attracted to the other guy who looks decent, and is doing so without pandering to superficiality, and isn't acting like he has something to prove? ... I mean, I'd think the latter, but I don't go to bars for that reason anyway, so, you tell me.

Looking good and doing your own thing :up:
Being intentionally fashionable and wearing what everyone else does :down:

I don't have any fondness for someone taking up an arbitrary position on the advice of others and telling me what I should be doing, I guess is my thing. It's simple logic that colour of shirt, like colour of skin, doesn't change the kind of man or woman you are. Clothing is secondary to character, and it always will be. Beautiful people will always have it easier than non-beautiful people, but there's no sense in being resentful over that, it's not like anyone can control the beauty they've been given. I don't think that clothing alone can suck someone from the echelon of mediocrity into the realm of beauty, though. I think you're fooling yourself if you think stepping it up from 'I don't give a rat's ass about how I look' to 'hmm... semi-casual tonight' is going to make that much of a difference.

randhail said:

It goes beyond the hair stuff. Buying $400 jeans or $800 purse is like a fuck you to the world. You could do other things with the money but you spend it all on you appearence. Hell buying a plasma tv would be better because at least other people could watch it.

Well, you could say this about LOTS of people, not just metrosexuals (think Paris Hilton, the kids on Laguna Beach, any A-list celeb, etc, etc). It sounds like you have a problem w/ people in general spending rediculous amounts on clothes and other novelty items.

I don't think metrosexuality is defined in terms of exactly how much you're spending. I know a metrosexual who buys all his clothes at Gap and Old Navy just like I do. It's more about the style and appearance in general, not how much you're spending to acheive that look. You can still look metro with a $30 pair of jeans, $20 dress shirt, and $3 bottle of hair gel.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think when a guy looks like he got everything done at a salon right next to me, that's taking it a bit far.

I like my guys a bit rough around the edges, personally. :wink:

how much gel do you think LMJ uses?

;)

I think the problem is the definition of "metrosexual" is completely different for every individual. For some it's males being feminine, for some it's men just actually paying attention to their appearance, and others it's how much you spend. The word was created and has now been so abused and used that no one knows what it really means.

The last girlfriend I had we went out of town and I met some of her friends. One comes up to me during the night and says "oh you are so metrosexual, I love it..." Another friend of hers meets me and says I'm so glad you are not dating some metrosexual, I'm so sick of that movement. All within in the same night.:huh:

randhail said:
I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.

Someone sounds insecure. I bet if Tom Cruise wore one in Top Gun, you would have rushed out and bought one.:wink:

randhail said:
I despise the metrosexual culture and everything about it. Plain and simple. No redeeming qualities can be found in it. It is a bankrupt personal philosophy. You become defined by the possessions that you own or by your hair style or oil-free pores. It teaches self absorption and materialism. Let alone all of this, I refuse to believe that ever wearing a pink shirt could be considered masculine.

I personally don't understand why many people here or maybe it's just the latest generation, feel that it is perfectly alright to come out and state publicly how you despise something. I am also not so sure this is the appropriate forum section in which to do this. Granted we live in a free speech country, but whatever happened to respect and manners, to keep things like this to ones own self? It seems to me that posts like this only antagonize and become bitter and angry rather than a healthy debate or general discussion. What is the point in starting something like that?:scratch:

I think people who get so upset by how other people spend their money are jealous.

I had a metrosexual boyfriend long before there was a word for it. I appreciated his taste in clothing and how he'd spend time on his appearance getting ready to see me. I was flattered that he wanted to look nice for me and that he could actually pick out cool clothes for me. And he was (still is) very straight--just stylish and hip. I like that. Anything can be taken to an unattractive extreme, though.

As for what people spend on hair products, I spend what some would call an obscene amount of money on my hair because (1) I can (2) I enjoy it and (3) the ingredients are good. I don't want chemicals going into my scalp, thank you very much, unless it produces a lovely color. :D

Re: Re: The Anti Metrosexual Thread

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Someone sounds insecure. I bet if Tom Cruise wore one in Top Gun, you would have rushed out and bought one.:wink:

because Tom Cruise and Top Gun are completely and totally heterosexual.

gayest. movie. ever.

;)

just as some background:

Metrosexual is a term coined in 1994 (along with the noun, metrosexuality) by British journalist Mark Simpson, who used it to refer to an urban male of any sexual orientation who has a strong aesthetic sense and spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle. He is the fashion-conscious target audience of men's magazines:

The promotion of metrosexuality was left to the men's style press, magazines such as The Face, GQ, Esquire, Arena and FHM, the new media which took off in the 1980s and is still growing (GQ gains 10,000 new readers every month). They filled their magazines with images of narcissistic young men sporting fashionable clothes and accessories. And they persuaded other young men to study them with a mixture of envy and desire.
Some people said unkind things. American GQ, for example, was popularly dubbed "Gay Quarterly". Little wonder that all these magazines - with the possible exception of The Face - address their metrosexual readership as if none of them was homosexual or even bisexual.[1]
Outside Britain, in its soundbite diffusion through the popular media, metrosexual has congealed into something more digestible: a heterosexual male who is in touch with his feminine side - he color coordinates, cares deeply about exfoliation, and has perhaps manscaped.

While included in the original definition, gay men are not "metrosexual" in common usage, since such interests are stereotypically considered gay. In fact, the common usage suggests an increasing awareness of the possibility that stereotypical behavior cannot be used to read a person's sexual identity.

In some circles, however, metrosexual is used to refer to a closeted gay man. This usage developed as a rejection of the idea that style-conscious men could be straight, and as a focus on the cultural cues by which gay men have sometimes been identified.

In major urban areas such as San Francisco, Boston, NYC, and Seattle, the metrosexual may be seen as a modern day fop or dandy, or as a cad. Like Victorian-era gentlemen, metrosexuals are sometimes considered especially masculine in the sense that they can relate to and empathize with women in an attempt to foster a relationship (or a sexual tryst) with them.

also, Mark Simpson is pretty freaking brilliant.

check out his writings: www.marksimpson.com

Top Gun

Script Analysis a la Tarantino
written by Duane Dell'Amico, Roger Hedden, Neal Jimenez, Joe Keenan, Rory Kelly, & Michael Steinberg

Sid: You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest fucking scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.
Duane (Todd Field): Oh, come on.
Sid: Top Gun is fucking great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots.
Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.
Sid: It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the fucking line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're' saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.
Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?
Sid: Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the fuck, what the fuck is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'm do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it. Okay, now let me just ask you--I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right?...All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting fucking force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they fucking land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last fucking line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! Fuckin' A, man!

joyfulgirl said:
I think people who get so upset by how other people spend their money are jealous.

I had a metrosexual boyfriend long before there was a word for it. I appreciated his taste in clothing and how he'd spend time on his appearance getting ready to see me. I was flattered that he wanted to look nice for me and that he could actually pick out cool clothes for me. And he was (still is) very straight--just stylish and hip. I like that. Anything can be taken to an unattractive extreme, though.

As for what people spend on hair products, I spend what some would call an obscene amount of money on my hair because (1) I can (2) I enjoy it and (3) the ingredients are good. I don't want chemicals going into my scalp, thank you very much, unless it produces a lovely color. :D

I think you hit the nail on the head with the jealousy statement. Who cares if some people put more focus, money or attention to their hair care or hygiene products, clothing, hair style, make up, etc?

randhail said:

:lmao:

I was thinking to myself. "I bet randhail is one of those slobs that wears the same tracky pants everyday and sleeps in front of the tv." And there you go, posting you covert a plasma tv.

I'm apologise. I don't mean any offense. Your comment about the tv "because at least other people could watch it" is incorrect with me. I wouldn't watch it. Tv is death. I'd rather talk to the guy with the overpriced jeans. Actually I would rather talk to the guy with the reasonablyish fair priced jeans who doesn't own a tv at all. I can dream. :wink:

As for hair, I have sensitive skin and am allergic to many of the expensive shampoos and all hair product. I wash my hair in chamomile or henna which I purchase from the heath food store. Its not cheap nor is it as expensive as salon brands.

metrosexual is better than the wear-the-hat-sideways thing

also theres great pink shirt that says:Laugh at my now but this is your girlfriends shirt:drool:

ya, screw all those guys who wear eyeliner, and pluck their eyebrows and...........oh wait, Im one of em!!!!!! hahahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom