The Anti Diminishing Divas Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sallycinnamon78 said:

Boystupidboy - having read several of your posts, I find it unlikely that you've ever been anywhere near a woman (or a man, for that matter) in your life. :p

:lmao::lmao:

apparently just four pieces of chocolate will raise your happyness by 52%

kissmobile.jpeg

...I was watching a programme on the top 10 British comfort foods. yes, chocolate was number 1.

BBC poll - top 10 comfort foods

#01 Chocolate
#02 Cup of tea
#03 Toast
#04 Ice cream
#05 Sausage, egg, chips and beans (the fry up)
#06 Sausages and mashed potato (bangers and mash)
#07 Soup
#08 Fruit crumble
#09 Sponge pudding
#10 Rice pudding

i'll go with all of the above :up: although my sausages would have to be veggy these days.

Regarding chocolate:
In a 1999 research paper, a number of learned writers sought to describe and compare various attitudes toward food. Subjects from France, Japan, Britain and America were given several foodstuffs and required to give their immediate associations. To "chocolate cake" Americans responded with "guilt"; The French countered with "celebration." (Just as to the word "cream," the Americans came out with "unhealthy" and the joyful French, "whipped.") In this context, I must declare myself allied with the French. If chocolate cake is an indulgence, please don't consider it a sinful one: It is a confection to exult in, not to regret.

This isn't about gluttony or wanton wallowing in excess. And, not least, I suspect more chocolate cake is consumed per capita in the US than in la belle France. Attitudes toward food are not just signs of psychological difference, but have enormous bearing on physical health. Of all the countries represented in the study it was mainly Americans who suggested that food consumption was a cause for worry and concern, whereas the French indicated that eating was primarily a source of pleasure. And it's the French who are considered the healthier of the two nations.

The lesson to be learned is that how we eat and what we eat has an impact on our health, ourselves, our lives..... A feast is not just a license to eat, but an invitation to celebrate life, and what it is to be truly alive.

~ from Nigella Lawson's new cookbook, Feast.

Nigella Lawson.....mmmmmm

and for those who don't know her, here she is.....

cat_pgkwnlk.jpg

mmmmmm

another Nigella picture, this time of her hands. This one brings tears to my eyes for some reason....

9022-5-large.jpg

ouch

okay, it's International Women's Day apparently.....

so this is a good excuse for you girls to ignore your diet for the day.

mmmmm, Mexican for me tonight....just about to prepare some chicken enchiladas

ewen said:
okay, it's International Women's Day apparently.....

so this is a good excuse for you girls to ignore your diet for the day.

I don't believe in all this "going on a diet" lark - unless, of course, it's necessary for medical reasons (diabetes, etc). I can proudly say that I've never been on a diet in my life. I've got better things to worry about.

(That's my mini-rant for the day.)

I am by no means a stick, but I am not overweight. I think I have finally gotten to a place in my life where I am pretty comfortable with my curves.

I exercise and I eat pretty healthy and when I eat "bad foods" it's in moderation. I love food too much to give them up completely--so if I want to pig out on chips or cake every once and a while, I will.

:up:

my reasons why i hate it when women go on diets:

i love cooking and it's a real pain in the arse when your g/f is eating SlimFast shakes and a lettuce leaf.

also because, like most men, women shouldn't be skinny - no disrespect to skinny/thin women but i'm sorry you've got the media on your side.

my last girlfriend went from 11 stone down to 7 stone because of a diet. she told me recently that she's been diagnosed anorexic. i'm not kiddin here, i'm totally serious. i really f-ing hate diets unless, as you said sally, it's for real health reasons.

I don't care for diets per se, but I think moderation is key. People should watch how much horrible stuff they are taking in. For example, stuff like soft drinks. Some people complain about their weight and drink 3 cokes a day. That's 450 useless calories. Just by stopping that, and keeping everything else constant, you would lose a pound every 8 days (3500 calories equals a pound).

That said, it is about time for a beer. :drool:

It's good to know guys like you, Ewen. :)

I used to be very skinny when I was younger - not deliberately, it's just how I am built. I HATED being so thin, my so-called "friends" (none of whom were fat, but were all wildly insecure about their weight for some reason) used to be horrible to me about it. They'd call me 'chicken legs' because I was thin... which might sound funny, but when you're 14, it's not particularly conducive to having a good body image!

I'm a size 10/12 now and I have the beginnings of a belly, after spending 4 years at university drinking beer! I don't give a shit. Anyone who can't take me the way I am can go jump in a lake, as far as I am concerned.

I know I sound bitter. It's because, my little sister - who has gone from being a healthy size 14 to a size 6 because of her cancer - spent years starving herself and thinking she was fat. She used to get so upset when anyone called her fat, and no matter HOW many times I and everyone else told her that she wasn't fat, she wouldn't believe it. I feel so sad whenever I hear someone complaining about being "fat" - especially as, usually, they're not. :sad:
:no:

sallycinnamon78 said:

I know I sound bitter. It's because, my little sister - who has gone from being a healthy size 14 to a size 6 because of her cancer - spent years starving herself and thinking she was fat. She used to get so upset when anyone called her fat, and no matter HOW many times I and everyone else told her that she wasn't fat, she wouldn't believe it. I feel so sad whenever I hear someone complaining about being "fat" - especially as, usually, they're not. :sad:
:no:

sally :hug: :sad:

you guys are right, we as a society put far too much emphasis on being thin, instead of being healthy. the two are not synonymous.

ewen said:
i love cooking and it's a real pain in the arse when your g/f is eating SlimFast shakes and a lettuce leaf.

I have never met a person who was happy after eating a plate full of lettuce.

I have met many people who are quite happy after eating chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom