The annual New Zealand NPC thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Well, the NPC commences this weekend, and I for one am looking for a Wellington victory this season, and for Kapiti-Horowhenua to finally move their arses beyond the third division! I take some consolation in the fact that at least Kapiti are the current holders of the Lochore Cup. It's not the Ranfurly Shield but it's enough to make a lowly third division team supporter feel good about his team.

For those who don't know, the NPC is the National Provincial Competition, annually contested between New Zealand's provincial rugby unions. For years - as long as I can remember - it has been played in three divisions, but this will be the last year. The format's being changed as of next year, and I can't say I'm happy about it, but I never like change.

By the way, a mention to www.virtualnpc.co.nz - stacks of fun. I'm Axver there, if anyone else here is playing.

First week fixtures:

Division One
Waikato vs Taranaki
Southland vs Canterbury
Northland vs Wellington
North Harbour vs Auckland
Otago vs Bay Of Plenty

Division Two
Wanganui vs Manawatu
Counties vs Poverty Bay
North Otago vs East Coast
Hawkes Bay vs Nelson Bays
Bye: Marlborough

Division Three commences next week.

I will admit, the Air New Zealand National Provincial Championship is my favourite of all the Provincial Championships held on this sphere. Granted the glory days which I recall of 1994-5 are long gone, the NPC still goes strong, despite being pillaged and removed of players due the Austro-centric Super 12.

This however does increase our depth considerably, which can only be a good thing. I naturally suppourt Auckland, to the death. Waikato, my 2nd favourite team in Super 12, I absolutely detest in NPC... although I do find the cowbells very, very cool. I don't like how the Ranfurley Sheild and NPC are merged... regardless Auckland will win it back this year.

My nicname is Auckland>You in Virtual NPC. I'll add you Axver. :wink:

How come you don't like the incorporation of the Ranfurly Shield in the NPC?

Er, you made a mistake with that nickname. It should be Auckland<You, and Auckland's certainly not going to be winning much this year! Just you watch for Wellington! :rockon:

I tend to go for all the teams that come together to create the Hurricanes. In the first division, Wellington's my first team and Taranaki my second. I really don't feel any strong allegiance to anyone in the second division, surprisingly enough, though I'll give token support to Hawkes Bay, Manawatu, and Wanganui. In the third, it's Horowhenua-Kapiti first and Wairarapa-Bush second.

Essentially the Ranfulry Sheild is completely irrelevent.

What was once the most prized trophy in New Zealand is now a the third string prize behind a Super 12 victory or NPC victory. It is impossible for it to be where it belongs as the Holy Grail of NZ sport merely because none of our best players can play in it due to our schedules being moved to fit the Super 12. :shrug:

Agreed there. It doesn't bother me if it's contested during the NPC as long as the All Blacks players are there. Heck, Ranfurly Shield aside, it bothers me the All Blacks won't be there any more in the NPC. What's a national contest without the nation's best players?

It will be a happy day when all three of North Harbour, Auckland, and Counties-Manukau are fighting for the Lochore Cup in the 3rd Division.

Wait, the competition's being raped and there'll no longer be a 3rd Division, will there? :sad:

Waikato stomped Taranaki in the opener yesterday, 30-6!

Well, the You Got Hammered Award for this week looks like it goes to Poverty Bay, trounced 67-24 by Counties-Manukau (who interestingly have the only Super 12 player in the 2nd Division). Other results are trickling in:

Wellington 43 - 27 Northland
Canterbury 42 - 16 Southland
Manawatu 17 - 6 Wanganui
Hawkes Bay 42 - 25 Nelson Bays

I see Hawkes Bay finally got their elusive win over Nelson Bays.

Well, Timothius will be happy to know Auckland won the game in which I'd be happiest if both sides lost.

Auckland 27 - 10 North Harbour

Axver said:
Well, the You Got Hammered Award for this week looks like it goes to Poverty Bay

I take that back. The You Got Hammered Award has to go to lowly East Coast, demolished 69-13 by North Otago.

Axver said:
Well, Timothius will be happy to know Auckland won the game in which I'd be happiest if both sides lost.

Auckland 27 - 10 North Harbour

:drool:

I only just found out the result after being at another semi-important fixture last night. :combust:

This was more of a contest. :yes:

This thread needs to come back.

OK, talking points:

FIRST DIVISION
- Southland just got WASTED by Wellington, 53-12, though nonetheless, I believe Southland is the one team whose form is least well represented on the table after a series of narrow defeats in games they probably should've won (such as Waikato scoring a winning try AFTER 80 minutes was up).
- Suck shit, Auckland. Demolished 40-19 in New Plymouth by Taranaki. Nice to see their fancy losing streak has come to an end.
- Northland are being rubbish as always.
- The Ranfurly Shiled clash has the holders Canterbury down 12-10 at half-time to Waikato. Go the Mooloos!

SECOND DIVISION
- Hawkes Bay rule all. Who's shocked?
- Manawatu are complete crap and shouldn't be allowed in this fancy new Premier Division next year. Send them packing.
- Considering their good performances thus far and Nelson's past achievements, Nelson Bays and Marlborough's merged Premier Division side - Tasman - should stand a fighting chance next year against teams like Northland and BOP, though we're definitely going to see just how wide the disparity between first and second divisions really is and I think it's a great big bloody chasm.

THIRD DIVISION
- What the FUCK is up with Buller? They hadn't won a game in two years before this season, and now they've five out of five after stomping South Canterbury 36-3 today - in TIMARU. Next week, they've Kapiti-Horowhenua (my team!) at home and then have to face King Country up in Te Kuiti.
- Thames Valley are an embarrassment to rugby. So's West Coast. Their battle next week in Paeroa should be interesting just to see which club can claim the title of Worst Club In NZ.

timothius said:

What is a NPC? :scratch:

:lmao:

The best part is how Taranaki's season hasn't been exactly impressive.

By the way - Buller's doing so well on the basis of loan players who weren't selected for Wellington. That won't be allowed next year with the new format so Buller'll be back up the creek.

RANFURLY SHIELD

Half time: Canterbury 6 - 11 Wellington

Full time: Canterbury 15 - 14 Wellington

:sad:

If only Jimmy Gopperth had converted our try!

:sad:

Back
Top Bottom