The Allergy Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Sorry, beli, I'll try to tone down the jargon.

The first world is increasingly defined by atopy, which is the tendency that makes people have immediate hypersensitive reactions (ie. allergies). Usually they are mediated by IgE, which is one class of immunoglobulin that your body produces.

Your body produces T cells, which are either CD4+ or CD8+ (these are just surface markers). CD4+ T-cells can be helper T-cells, which essentially help your B cells mount a response. There are two types of Th (T-helper) cells - Th1 and Th2.

IgE (see above) is important to your defence against parasites, and to your response against allergens. However, it has been found that parasites (which are prevalent in the third world) secrete proteolytic enzymes which are recognized by your body and in turn, promote the Th2 response. Allergies, on the other hand, promote the Th1 response. So it has been postulated that your response is skewed in one direction, based on your environment.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 AM
i don't have any allergies that i know of. other than the common mosquito saliva thing, and poison ivy...but no food allergies. my little brother is dangerously allergic to peanuts (not sure about other nuts).

is that true? i think i read a long time ago, like 6th or 7th grade, that the reason you get those welts from mosquito bites is because they leave some saliva under your skin when they suck your blood, and it's the saliva that you're allergic to, hence the itchy bump...?

Old 12-16-2004, 07:51 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
bee sting allergies?
*Raises hand*

I'm only mildy allergic, thank goodness. My ears swell up and I get a pretty mean fever.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #19
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
my little brother is dangerously allergic to peanuts (not sure about other nuts).
Jim's friend is also allergic to peanuts. Like if he even eats something with a hint of peanut oil in it he needs to go to the hospital like asap or he could die He needs to make sure anything he eats doesnt contain any traces of peanuts. Something about people that are allergic to peanuts.. its incredibly dangerous.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:51 PM
So if I went to the developing world I would have less problems with parasites then the locals?

In Australia, Perth has a really high hay fever allergy rate but Sydney has a high mold spore allergy rate. When people from Sydney move to Perth they dont have any problems with the wildflower pollen (we have blowy pollen here not insect pollen) . For a while. Then a few years laters they are just as screwed as the rest of us. Is that what you mean?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, usually when you move to an area where the flora is different, it will take you a little while to built up the response to it. It is very common with immigrants to develop an allergy to different grasses, but not immediately.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

How come whenever Europeans made first contact with aboriginals (in any country) a lot of them died from Euro diseases? Shouldnt the aboriginals have lasted a bit longer than the Euros?

Sorry if Im asking dumb questions. I have never got my head around this issue.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #23
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Jim's friend is also allergic to peanuts. Like if he even eats something with a hint of peanut oil in it he needs to go to the hospital like asap or he could die He needs to make sure anything he eats doesnt contain any traces of peanuts. Something about people that are allergic to peanuts.. its incredibly dangerous.

Mrs. Edge is the same way.

We had dinner at a Japanese restaurant during our Palm Springs holiday last April and something must have been cooked in peanut oil because her mouth started to burn right away. I thought I was going to be responsible for killing her!

A few months later during our trip to Boston, I kept trying to give her a bite of Snickers pie, forgetting her peanut allergry. For the second time, I tried to kill her!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Sorry, beli, I'll try to tone down the jargon.

The first world is increasingly defined by atopy, which is the tendency that makes people have immediate hypersensitive reactions (ie. allergies). Usually they are mediated by IgE, which is one class of immunoglobulin that your body produces.

Your body produces T cells, which are either CD4+ or CD8+ (these are just surface markers). CD4+ T-cells can be helper T-cells, which essentially help your B cells mount a response. There are two types of Th (T-helper) cells - Th1 and Th2.

IgE (see above) is important to your defence against parasites, and to your response against allergens. However, it has been found that parasites (which are prevalent in the third world) secrete proteolytic enzymes which are recognized by your body and in turn, promote the Th2 response. Allergies, on the other hand, promote the Th1 response. So it has been postulated that your response is skewed in one direction, based on your environment.

Everytime I am bit by a spider I have a bad reaction. One time it looked like I had two elbows.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

The aboriginals were never exposed to some of the viruses the Europeans brought over. Your immune system recognizes antigens, and once it does, it is able to both mount a response and form a repertoire of memory cells so that when you are exposed to the antigen again, you will have a secondary response which is essentially immediate. Over the many years of your life, you are exposed to thousands of antigens, and depending on the efficiency of your immune system, you either clear them quickly, get sick, or get very sick. The aboriginals had absolutely no natural defenses and they had no segment of the population which was exposed to these antigens as children, whereas the Europeans had a built in mechanism of defense.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Can people become less allergic to things over time?

Why are more and more people allergic? Theres more asthmatics, "bubbleboys", etc than ever. (I think )
Old 12-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Can people become less allergic to things over time?

Why are more and more people allergic? Theres more asthmatics, "bubbleboys", etc than ever. (I think )
Yes, you can become less allergic over time.

Genetic and environmental factors contribute to an increase in allergies. Genetically, people who are atopic have higher levels of IgE in their system. Environmentally, the following things are generally postulated as the main culprits of increased allergies: environmental pollution, allergen levels, dietary changes and the decrease in exposure to infectious diseases early in childhood.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

yeah, all thsoe candy bars, milky way, 3 muskateers, all the shit you get on halloween that says "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUTS; PROCESSED IN A FACILITY WHICH PROCESSES PEANUTS", he has to give that stuff to my because it could kill him.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Our fruit and nut chocolate here comes with the warning that it may contain traces of nuts
Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #30
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator