The AFL Thread Reporting Dangerfield Has Signed a 9-yr $10.1m Deal With Port Adelaide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Coast chairman just gave the worst press conference of all time. Referred to himself in third person, actually said the words "the process will begin with my board settling on a process"

Wow. What a terrible way to treat the coach. If Ablett doesn't get injured I'm sure they would have made the 8 and none of this nonsense would have happened.

Very poor form by Gold Coast, an unreasonable sacking for a team that was built from scratch.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Aaaand they've called an emergency board meeting tomorrow morning.

It's a shame, he was such a great player, but he will always be remembered in disgrace. :wave: Hirdy

rodney-dangerfield-respect.jpg

this tweet was so perfect. exactly how I feel.

By6Dr_PCYAAh2LH.jpg:large

there will be no moving on, because Hird lodged an appeal on his own this morning.

Hold on now, seems The Age has jumped the gun re: Hird.

Just fucking sack him and move on, guys. Let's not drag this out over the weekend.

The AFL Thread Reporting Dangerfield Has Signed a 9-yr $10.1m Deal With Port ...

I'll accept this, since it implies my mob are top four.

Well my club as well then :lol: Quentin Lynch - our superstar recruit who played about 6 games and then retired.

I think free agency will eventually evolve to help the struggling clubs. Something will happen like the Boston Celtics in the NBA. 2006/07 season they had the worst record in the league. Made two big trades and picked up a stack of free agents in 07/08, had the best record and won the title.

Now obviously in the AFL you'll more than likely need more than just two players. But if a struggling club picks up 4-5 great free agents over a couple of seasons, surely that will turn a bottom side into a contender.

Now obviously in the AFL you'll more than likely need more than just two players. But if a struggling club picks up 4-5 great free agents over a couple of seasons, surely that will turn a bottom side into a contender.

Looks like the Dees are going to be big players, so we should be able to test your theory in a couple of years.

I respect that he wants to say meaningful things and all that, but I still don't know what point he was trying to make and as well as coming off as self righteous, he seems fairly confused.

He's going along fine up until about the 1:30 mark, and then... what?!

I laughed when I saw they got Train for prematch entertainment. Everything about the NRL is just so second rate compared to AFL, even though the Hawks smashed the Swans it was still a superior spectacle to this.

But they love it up in the northern states. I can't help but feel that both forms of rugby will decline to the extent that they will eventually become niche sports in Australia. It's quite sad in a way, but it will probably be for the good of the game and it's existing fans if they smartly minimise it's whoring to the mainstream.

For better or worse, League hasn't transitioned into the professional, commercial era nearly as well as AFL has in the past few decades, but at least they haven't gone about abandoning suburban supporter culture as recklessly (and increasingly regrettably, it seems) as the AFL.

It's odd to say league hasn't transitioned into the professional, commercial era when the entire split between league and union before WWI was based on league players being paid while union stayed firmly amateur - until 1995 anyway, when too many were being siphoned off by league. But yes, obviously since the eighties there has been a new, national, commercial era, and league's transition was very obviously not smooth.

I do wonder if there is enough room in this country for four football codes. I think union is the code that will become marginal though. Union, once it went professional, made the transition better than league in other countries, no doubt helped by it being a more international sport in the first place. But in Australia it's always been second fiddle to league, and if the depth stops coming through, well, Australian interest in the sport is very much based on the Wallabies being successful. Soccer is making big inroads that probably threaten union the most, and the AFL has been most successful at becoming a national competition. Plus Aussie Rules has a history of being more inclusive than any other code; the participation of minorities and the sizeable female following put all the other codes in the shade, and that will obviously help it grow.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds.

Plus Aussie Rules has a history of being more inclusive than any other code; the participation of minorities and the sizeable female following put all the other codes in the shade

I don't know that I'd agree with this. I'd say league is more multicultural than Aussie Rules.

It'll be fascinating, so many variables will come into play. The West Sydney Giants experiment will be telling about AFL's potential to penetrate new markets.

I feel that Soccer is safe because it's establishing itself nicely as a part of the Australian summer and has massive female and youth participation rates. 3000 people attended a W-League fixture last weekend, an incredible achievement for women's sport.

This weekend has been an awkward one for me as it is the one weekend of the year where I don't have a code to follow. Felt kind of lost, but it all kicks off again on Friday evening.

Cricket doesn't really act as a substitute because you are unable to build a regular social habit around spectating, and the sporadic scheduling and saturation of the sport over the past 10 years has been quite disengaging. "Big Bash!" provides a team to follow, but only runs for about a month and hasn't yet seen out the fad-phase. People will always still follow cricket (whatever forms still exist in years to come), but it doesn't require much of a spectating commitment. It never has and is very easy to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom