The '86 remix of "Don't Stand So Close To Me"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it is pretty much crap. Interesting enough, though, the backing vocal in the original seems to have been the basis for the remake.

Don't stand sooooooooooo. cloooooooooooooooooose toooooooo meeeeeeeeee.

I prefer

Don't stand, don't stand so, don't stand so close to me. Why Sting, why why why?

The reissue of the Singles, pretentiously titled "The Classics," also contained the original version. And a remix of Message in a Bottle, which wasn't nearly so horrible

ah the police. i still say they should go on a reunion tour and give the money to charity. would that make them happy? or would they rather keep it? i don't know i just want to see them in concert!!!! :mad:

Why just picking on Sting and not on Andy and Stewart? :mac:

From the Message In A Box booklet:
Sting: The poor guy who produced it, he was appalled by the venom that was apparent between us by then. We hadn't seen one another for a long time. It was impossible. So I fucked off. It wasn't very nice. But still, Iiked what we did with this song. It seemed much more poignant than the original.
Andy: What can you say? That whole thing was absolutely torturous. The track is all right, but the original's much better. This version took three weeks to record. I did my guitar part on the first night and the rest of the time it was Sting and Stewart arguing about whether the Fairlight or the Synclavier was better. The attempt to record a new album was doomed from the outset. The night before we went into the studio Stewart broke his collarbone falling off a horse and that meant we lost our last chance of recovering some rapport just by jamming together. Anyway, it was clear Sting had no real intention of writing any new songs for The Police. It was an empty exercise.
Stewart: Well, my horse did a forward somersault and I was forced to dismount. I was entirely venomless, sedated as I was by painkillers, but I managed (accidentally, I swear!) to fatally insult Sting. We exchanged long, mutually abusive letters and took turns in the studio recording over each other's parts. Finally, after wasting several weeks, Miles said, 'Look, children, you will both have to share the same room to mix this track.' I had no problem with this (it was Sting who had stormed out) and was there for the mix at 10 o'clock sharp. We proceeded to mix, while waiting all day for word of our esteemed leader. I was just getting hrumphy and beginning to make speeches when Sting showed up with a rose, a hug, and a 12-inch switchblade.

As for the short answer, yeah, the remix sucks.

C ya!

Marty

interesting post Marty. I knew they always had internal struggle towards the end, but I didn't know there was THAT much hate.

But yea, the remake sucks balls.

UnforgettableLemon said:
The reissue of the Singles, pretentiously titled "The Classics," also contained the original version. And a remix of Message in a Bottle, which wasn't nearly so horrible
Ever since I got 'The Classics', I've been wondering what the difference is between the original Message In A Bottle and the remix. :shrug:

I love how Dick Cheney's dick is in the "Similar Threads" thing. "Don't Stand So Close To Me," indeed.

haha I love the police and would love to see them tour together again!!!!!!

But Yeah - never thought much of this remix. Love the original though.

Back
Top Bottom