The 6th Interference Album Listening Party - Axver's Modern Prog Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which album shall we listen to?

• Anathema's Judgement

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Ayreon's Universal Migrator Part I: The Dream Sequencer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackfield's Blackfield

• Circus Maximus's The 1st Chapter

• The Devin Townsend Band's Synchestra

• Dream Theater's Images And Words

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • James LaBrie's Elements Of Persuasion

• OSI's Free

• Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
No, this isn't a mistake. MrBrau will still be doing his Britpop-themed listening parties, but we've decided to add some variety into the mix. We're going to try to run a party each fortnight, and I'm going to run a modern progressive rock/metal theme (prog = progressive). It will be interesting to see how this goes down.

I've picked some of my favourite prog acts of the last 15 years and tried to showcase the diversity of the genre. The poll will be open for five days, and the party itself will be at 1pm Australian Eastern Time, Saturday the 10th of June (US Eastern: 11pm, Friday the 9th of June). I'm pretty sure most people here will be entirely unfamiliar with the artists featured, so I've chosen to write a little bit about each one. Think one sounds particularly interesting? Vote for it! Don't worry if you don't have any of the albums - we'll take care of making sure everyone can listen in during the party.

Anathema - Judgement (1999)
The Anathema that recorded Judgement was stylistically a very different band to the Anathema that came to fame as a member of the 'Peaceville Three' (along with My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost) that pioneered the genre of death doom. By Judgement, the band had lost all their death doom trappings and were an alternative/progressive rock outfit, and this album is quite simply their masterpiece. More restrained guitar playing than is usual for prog is combined with emotionally powerful lyricism.

Ayreon - Universal Migrator Part I: The Dream Sequencer (2000)
Ayreon is a project led by Dutchman Arjen Anthony Lucassen that is credited with reviving the rock opera genre. Arjen writes the music, sings, plays a variety of instruments, and for every project, assembles a cast of musicians (often other notables within the prog/metal community) to fully flesh out the sound. The second Universal Migrator album is quite metal-focused, but this one is softer and has a more classic 70s prog feel. Arjen never lets his music be restrained by ordinary rock/metal instruments and features a number of instruments more common to traditional music.

Blackfield - Blackfield (2004)
Blackfield is a collaboration between Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson and Israeli pop star Aviv Geffen, and it takes Wilson's considerable abilities to craft soundscapes and combines it with Geffen's pop sensibilities. The songs are often a bit melancholy and sombre, and rather curiously for prog, only one song even reaches a length of five minutes.

Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter (2005)
Are these Norwegians the future of progressive metal? Well, if they can keep producing music as good as their debut, they just might be. Despite obvious Dream Theater influences, Circus Maximus forge their own path; great vocals combine with music that ranges from intense prog metal to much softer passages.

The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra (2006)
I've seen Devin's music described as "happy metal", and that's probably a fairly apt description. Devin Townsend is a master at creating walls of sound that don't sound muddled, both through multiple layerings of a particular effect (i.e. vocals to create a "chorus of Devy's") and in adding atmospheric noise.

Dream Theater - Images And Words (1992)
Dream Theater is arguably the most important progressive band in the world today, and they single-handedly saved the prog genre by kick-starting the third wave of prog with the release of this album in 1992. After the first wave of prog (i.e. Rush, Yes, King Crimson) was destroyed by punk in the late seventies, the second wave of prog (i.e. Marillion) fizzled out in the later half of the eighties, but then through came Dream Theater, mixing their love of first wave prog with heavy metal. Images And Words is not only their seminal work, but has been imitated since by countless prog metal bands.

James LaBrie - Elements Of Persuasion (2006)
James LaBrie is the lead singer of Dream Theater, and has a voice that you either love or hate. I happen to be firmly in the former camp, and this is an excellent solo album. LaBrie assembled a great cast of backing musicians and the result is more metal than I would have expected, though it is of course focused on showcasing LaBrie's vocal skills primarily.

OSI - Free (2006)
OSI - Office of Strategic Influence, named after a short-lived official US department - is a prog project featuring a number of notable names in the prog world. It features Fates Warning's Jim Matheos on guitar, Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater) on vocals and keyboards, Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) on drums, and although the first album had the excellent Sean Malone (Gordian Knot, ex-Cynic) on bass, this one has Joey Vera of Fates Warning. The song lengths are primarily shorter than usual for prog, and feature Kevin Moore's strong influence. His vocals aren't exactly the best in the world, but they suit his music.

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (1999)
In its earlier days, Porcupine Tree earned comparisons to Pink Floyd due to their atmospheric and epic compositions, and more recently, metal riffing has been incorporated into their repertoire. Stupid Dream falls at the transition point, with Steven Wilson writing songs that largely conform to traditional song structure and length. While the music is complex, it also comes with some strong, catchy choruses and Wilson's voice is captivating. Then again, whatever Wilson touches turns to gold. You can't go wrong with Porcupine Tree.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third (2006)
Whereas Circus Maximus may be the future of prog metal, I have to ask, is Pure Reason Revolution the future of Floydesque prog rock? Their debut bears resemblances to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways, but is far from a rip-off: not only does it have beautiful instrumental passages that paint ethereal and luscious sonic landscapes, but PRR has mastered something PF never mastered. What is it? Appropriate use of female vocals! While The Great Gig In The Sky is unlistenable, PRR has a male and a female vocalist who float in and out of each other beautifully and flawlessly.

There is a lot more I wanted to include, but I made a point of devising some criteria for inclusions:

1. This is Axver's MODERN Prog. Not Axver's CLASSIC Prog; not Axver's FIRST WAVE Prog; not Axver's BANDS THAT WERE POPULAR WHEN MARILLION WAS Prog. I wanted to expose people to the less well-known prog bands of the modern era, rather than old favourites such as Rush and Pink Floyd. For that reason, an album could be no older than 15 years. In fact, if you look at the dates by the titles, you'll see only one is over ten years old. The Dark Third is barely a month old!

2. No death growls or other such vocals. This sadly ruled out some absolutely brilliant bands who should be included, but I know death vocals are certainly not for everyone. If you are open to them, I highly recommend the following, all of whom employ death vocals to some extent: Agalloch, Atheist, Cynic, Death, Opeth, Orphaned Land.

3. Try to avoid wholly or largely instrumental albums. It seems instrumental music isn't all that popular, but if you enjoy prog without the vocals, the following should be right up your alley: Gordian Knot, Liquid Tension Experiment, Russian Circles.

Ultimately, I kept in mind what I know about this forum and tried to make some picks that might be appealling to anyone coming to the listening parties (which goes some way to explaining rules 2 and 3). I hope people enjoy this theme. I truly love prog, I find it the most satisfying genre of music in every sense (I honestly don't comprehend the criticisms that it is soulless and focused on technical ability exclusively), and I hope some of you may be introduced to new music you'll enjoy too. :)

I think the wording of my post gives away which album I think we should listen to: "Then again, whatever Wilson touches turns to gold. You can't go wrong with Porcupine Tree." I was initially thinking we should go with Dream Theater's Images And Words to introduce people to the seminal album of modern prog, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised Stupid Dream is a better choice. In any case, people seem to take to Steven Wilson's vocals far more readily than James LaBrie (though I think they're both excellent).

Axver said:
I think the wording of my post gives away which album I think we should listen to: "Then again, whatever Wilson touches turns to gold. You can't go wrong with Porcupine Tree." I was initially thinking we should go with Dream Theater's Images And Words to introduce people to the seminal album of modern prog, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised Stupid Dream is a better choice. In any case, people seem to take to Steven Wilson's vocals far more readily than James LaBrie (though I think they're both excellent).

Why not? :wink: That's what I voted for, though I've never heard any of these albums...

Unfortunately, I'll be away on 10 June so I won't be able to come to the listening party :(

hippy said:
Unfortunately, I'll be away on 10 June so I won't be able to come to the listening party :(

We can adjust the date. I simply chose 9/10 June because that's exactly a fortnight after the last party. But it'd be nice if the regulars could make it. Otherwise, the party will just be me rocking out and Brau giving his thoughts on the tunes.

MrBrau1 said:
I won't be available the 9/10th of june. I'm free the 16/17th though.

Righto, we'll change the date, though I'm not so sure I'm keen on the 17th. That falls right in the midst of my exams. But if that's the best we've got, we'll run with it.

I love Rush. So, who will I like?

Hmm. Dream Theater's heavily influenced by Rush, though the similarities were more pronounced on their debut when they had a different vocalist who sounded eerily like Geddy Lee. Obviously, all of these bands have Rush in their heritage somewhere simply by virtue of being prog, and the most pronounced comparisons can probably be drawn to Dream Theater, LaBrie's solo album, and Circus Maximus due to the higher vocals.

Russian Circles rock, but I take them as post-rock with some dark influence ("Death Rides a Horse", "New Macabre"?)

anyway, prog rock of this kind isn't for me

Jack In The Box said:
Russian Circles rock, but I take them as post-rock with some dark influence ("Death Rides a Horse", "New Macabre"?)

It seems there's a line where prog and post-rock blur together. Russian Circles seems to be more prog metal-y to me (at least in comparison to a band like Explosions In The Sky), especially with the use of some heavier, metal riffing.

KhanadaRhodes said:
voted porcupine tree cuz of barbieri :der:

:D

As soon as I saw your name in the 'last poster' category, two words went through my mind: Barbieri factor.

Axver said:

It seems there's a line where prog and post-rock blur together. Russian Circles seems to be more prog metal-y to me (at least in comparison to a band like Explosions In The Sky), especially with the use of some heavier, metal riffing.

post-rock and doom metal are more alike than post-rock and prog metal

check Pelican, Isis, Jesu, Red Sparowes

even bands like Té, Boris (they're more drone metal, but not drone as Sunn O)))), Mono, Mogwai, The Evpatoria Report, Saxon Shore and well... Explosions in the Sky have a doom vein I like

but anyway, I find Russian Circles in every post-rock group/page a visit... so, for me they're post-rock XD

Jack In The Box said:

post-rock and doom metal are more alike than post-rock and prog metal

check Pelican, Isis, Jesu, Red Sparowes

So I've been discovering! I was first led to Isis via my interest in doom metal, but when I read about them, I often saw references to post-rock too. And jesu's simply excellent, I love the drone doom style. Quite a few of the other bands you named in your post are ones I've heard of and been meaning to check out - and the ones I don't know, I'll add to the list.

I'll have to look further into post-rock too. What I've heard sounds good, and when it comes up in prog circles, it is typically mentioned in a positive manner. I have rarely been let down by the prog circles I frequent.

but anyway, I find Russian Circles in every post-rock group/page a visit... so, for me they're post-rock XD

Heh, whereas whenever I see them come up in conversation on prog boards, they tend to be considered an instrumental prog band, so to me, they're prog. :)

Blackberry said:
I voted James LaBrie! Like his voice :)

Slightly Out Of Reach is one of the best examples of his singing. I love that song. A lot.

I went with PRR's album, the female vocals thing has me intrigued.

Axver said:

I'll have to look further into post-rock too. What I've heard sounds good, and when it comes up in prog circles, it is typically mentioned in a positive manner. I have rarely been let down by the prog circles I frequent.

post-rock is boring for most of people, but for me is the perfect kind of music... is beautiful and dramatic

add to your list Caspian and This Is Your Captain Speaking, both have that same doom vein... other bands I know are more ambient, probably you don't like that

Heh, whereas whenever I see them come up in conversation on prog boards, they tend to be considered an instrumental prog band, so to me, they're prog. :)

haha, Russian Circles... post-rock or prog metal still rock

Jack In The Box said:

post-rock is boring for most of people, but for me is the perfect kind of music... is beautiful and dramatic

add to your list Caspian and This Is Your Captain Speaking, both have that same doom vein... other bands I know are more ambient, probably you don't like that

Seems like I've got some great, interesting music to check out over the holidays. :drool:

And I've nothing against ambience! I love it when a band can conjure up atmosphere. I've also discovered that when studying or writing essays for university, I do my best work to softer instrumental sorts of music.

haha, Russian Circles... post-rock or prog metal still rock

Absolutely. I'm listening to them right now - such great stuff, and I'm told their live shows are excellent. Shame the odds of them (or any prog bands I like) coming to Australia is somewhere between zero and nil!

This Is Your Captain Speaking is an Australian band, btw, same as Hungry Ghosts, but they mix post-rock with folk (American and European)... like Friends of Dean Martinez... ah! too many great bands

for post-rock with ambient I highly recommend 1 Mile North, my favorite band of this kind, mainly "Minor Shadows" album

'bout Russian Circles, I think they are touring with Pelican and Mono, well, not touring but playing some dates, alternating with Tarentel

:eek: I can talk about post-rock all day long

Jack In The Box said:
This Is Your Captain Speaking is an Australian band, btw, same as Hungry Ghosts, but they mix post-rock with folk (American and European)... like Friends of Dean Martinez... ah! too many great bands

I've been looking for decent music in Australia! It's been quite hard, though ... I'd love to see some bands live, but it seems pretty rare for anything I like to be from here or come here.

And mixing post-rock with folk? That sounds interesting. I'm currently intrigued by folk metal, and the diversity within it.

for post-rock with ambient I highly recommend 1 Mile North, my favorite band of this kind, mainly "Minor Shadows" album

Righto! I'll see what I can find.

:eek: I can talk about post-rock all day long

Not that that's a bad thing! I'm quite interested; I think this is a genre I could get into and enjoy. The post-rock bands I've most often heard discussed are GYBE and Mogwai - are they worth checking out?

Last edited:
hippy said:
Ax, what time works best for you so we can begin to plan the listening party! :hyper:

Well, the 15th, 16th, 19th, and 20th are no good for me as I have exams on those dates and they would likely clash with any listening party (except the one on the 16th, but I'd like to spend that day studying).

It would probably be best if we thought in terms of discounting the 14th, 15th, 18th, and 19th, as that's essentially when I'm taking the exams in your time zone.

Any other day is quite alright.

Axver said:

I've been looking for decent music in Australia! It's been quite hard, though ... I'd love to see some bands live, but it seems pretty rare for anything I like to be from here or come here.

And mixing post-rock with folk? That sounds interesting. I'm currently intrigued by folk metal, and the diversity within it.

I forgot it, Jakob is a kiwi post-rock band and they mix it with doom too, quite good band :up:

mix post-rock with folk isn't that common, I just know that 2 bands, and Finn Troll (sp?) in metal music

Not that that's a bad thing! I'm quite interested; I think this is a genre I could get into and enjoy. The post-rock bands I've most often heard discussed are GYBE and Mogwai - are they worth checking out?

GY!BE is my current favorite band (it's a shame they're in a kind of hiatus) and all related with them is great: A Silver Mt. Zion, Hrsta, Shalabi Effect, Set Fire to Flames, Esmerine, Fly Pan Am, 1-Speed Bike and so on, but it's a little difficult listen to GY!BE, try their shortest song that lasts 10 minutes ("Moya", a beautiful and epic tune)...

Mogwai is a good band to start... and they use some very metal-like riffs

Last edited:
Axver said:

mogwai are excellent. start with the album 'young team'. the songs 'yes! i am a long way from home' and 'mogwai fear satan' are epic...:ohmy: :drool:

Jack In The Box said:

I forgot it, Jakob is a kiwi post-rock band and they mix it with doom too, quite good band :up:

Oooh. I just looked up their website, which says they're from the Hawkes Bay region and seek to evoke the region's landscape in their music. Well, I'm very familiar with Hawkes Bay, I visited it at least once a month when I lived in New Zealand, and let me just say that after listening to the samples on their website, their music evokes the region perfectly. One sample instantly made me think of driving through the Esk Valley with my father one autumn. I'm amazed. If their CDs weren't so damn expensive, I'd order one right now (curse being a uni student!).

mix post-rock with folk isn't that common, I just know that 2 bands, and Finn Troll (sp?) in metal music

Ah, Finntroll, I'm familiar with them and another Finnish folk metal band, Korpiklaani. Good stuff, though I don't listen to it a whole lot. My kind of folk metal is of the atmospheric, black variety of Agalloch, or the death metal-infused Arabic/Hebrew style of Orphaned Land.

GY!BE is my current favorite band (it's a shame they're in a kind of hiatus) and all related with them is great: A Silver Mt. Zion, Hrsta, Shalabi Effect, Set Fire to Flames, Esmerine, Fly Pan Am, 1-Speed Bike and so on, but it's a little difficult listen to GY!BE, try their shortest song that lasts 10 minutes ("Moya", a beautiful and epic tune)...

Mogwai is a good band to start... and they use some very metal-like riffs

On the basis of your and dudeman's recommendations, I shall check them out! And I don't think song length is at all a problem, considering the lengths prog runs to. :drool: Dream Theater's 23 minute A Change Of Seasons. :drool:

yeah, for me the cds prices are a problem too, with my little GY!BE obsession I'm spending lots of money these days... this summer I'm going to travel to Canada to get more stuff by them!

I liked what I've heard of Finntroll, a friend of mine is kinda a fan and well, he shares music with me, I'll check Orphaned Land... sounds interesting

if lenghts aren't a problem... then check "Sleep" by GY!BE, an absolutely piece of art... the whole "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" album is beautiful, my favorite album of all-time actually, I was writing an article for a magazine about this album a while ago, but I don't know what to say about it, I can't describe it with words

Back
Top Bottom