The 6th Interference Album Listening Party - Axver's Modern Prog Edition - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which album shall we listen to?
Anathema's Judgement 1 7.69%
Ayreon's Universal Migrator Part I: The Dream Sequencer 0 0%
Blackfield's Blackfield 1 7.69%
Circus Maximus's The 1st Chapter 0 0%
The Devin Townsend Band's Synchestra 1 7.69%
Dream Theater's Images And Words 3 23.08%
James LaBrie's Elements Of Persuasion 1 7.69%
OSI's Free 0 0%
Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream 5 38.46%
Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Slightly Out Of Reach is one of the best examples of his singing. I love that song. A lot.
Agreed.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I went with PRR's album, the female vocals thing has me intrigued.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #18
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 12:18 AM
Quote:

Righto, we'll change the date, though I'm not so sure I'm keen on the 17th. That falls right in the midst of my exams. But if that's the best we've got, we'll run with it.

Any other time works for me except for June 8-11 (going on a trip to Boston )
Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:

I'll have to look further into post-rock too. What I've heard sounds good, and when it comes up in prog circles, it is typically mentioned in a positive manner. I have rarely been let down by the prog circles I frequent.

post-rock is boring for most of people, but for me is the perfect kind of music... is beautiful and dramatic

add to your list Caspian and This Is Your Captain Speaking, both have that same doom vein... other bands I know are more ambient, probably you don't like that

Quote:
Heh, whereas whenever I see them come up in conversation on prog boards, they tend to be considered an instrumental prog band, so to me, they're prog.
haha, Russian Circles... post-rock or prog metal still rock
Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box

post-rock is boring for most of people, but for me is the perfect kind of music... is beautiful and dramatic

add to your list Caspian and This Is Your Captain Speaking, both have that same doom vein... other bands I know are more ambient, probably you don't like that
Seems like I've got some great, interesting music to check out over the holidays.

And I've nothing against ambience! I love it when a band can conjure up atmosphere. I've also discovered that when studying or writing essays for university, I do my best work to softer instrumental sorts of music.

Quote:
haha, Russian Circles... post-rock or prog metal still rock
Absolutely. I'm listening to them right now - such great stuff, and I'm told their live shows are excellent. Shame the odds of them (or any prog bands I like) coming to Australia is somewhere between zero and nil!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This Is Your Captain Speaking is an Australian band, btw, same as Hungry Ghosts, but they mix post-rock with folk (American and European)... like Friends of Dean Martinez... ah! too many great bands

for post-rock with ambient I highly recommend 1 Mile North, my favorite band of this kind, mainly "Minor Shadows" album

'bout Russian Circles, I think they are touring with Pelican and Mono, well, not touring but playing some dates, alternating with Tarentel

I can talk about post-rock all day long
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #22
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 12:18 AM
Ax, what time works best for you so we can begin to plan the listening party!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #23
Vocal parasite

Quote:
This Is Your Captain Speaking is an Australian band, btw, same as Hungry Ghosts, but they mix post-rock with folk (American and European)... like Friends of Dean Martinez... ah! too many great bands
I've been looking for decent music in Australia! It's been quite hard, though ... I'd love to see some bands live, but it seems pretty rare for anything I like to be from here or come here.

And mixing post-rock with folk? That sounds interesting. I'm currently intrigued by folk metal, and the diversity within it.

Quote:
for post-rock with ambient I highly recommend 1 Mile North, my favorite band of this kind, mainly "Minor Shadows" album
Righto! I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
I can talk about post-rock all day long
Not that that's a bad thing! I'm quite interested; I think this is a genre I could get into and enjoy. The post-rock bands I've most often heard discussed are GYBE and Mogwai - are they worth checking out?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by hippy
Ax, what time works best for you so we can begin to plan the listening party!
Well, the 15th, 16th, 19th, and 20th are no good for me as I have exams on those dates and they would likely clash with any listening party (except the one on the 16th, but I'd like to spend that day studying).

It would probably be best if we thought in terms of discounting the 14th, 15th, 18th, and 19th, as that's essentially when I'm taking the exams in your time zone.

Any other day is quite alright.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I've been looking for decent music in Australia! It's been quite hard, though ... I'd love to see some bands live, but it seems pretty rare for anything I like to be from here or come here.

And mixing post-rock with folk? That sounds interesting. I'm currently intrigued by folk metal, and the diversity within it.

I forgot it, Jakob is a kiwi post-rock band and they mix it with doom too, quite good band

mix post-rock with folk isn't that common, I just know that 2 bands, and Finn Troll (sp?) in metal music

Quote:
Not that that's a bad thing! I'm quite interested; I think this is a genre I could get into and enjoy. The post-rock bands I've most often heard discussed are GYBE and Mogwai - are they worth checking out?
GY!BE is my current favorite band (it's a shame they're in a kind of hiatus) and all related with them is great: A Silver Mt. Zion, Hrsta, Shalabi Effect, Set Fire to Flames, Esmerine, Fly Pan Am, 1-Speed Bike and so on, but it's a little difficult listen to GY!BE, try their shortest song that lasts 10 minutes ("Moya", a beautiful and epic tune)...

Mogwai is a good band to start... and they use some very metal-like riffs
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Quote:

mogwai are excellent. start with the album 'young team'. the songs 'yes! i am a long way from home' and 'mogwai fear satan' are epic...
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i should've mentioned earlier, i won't be able to participate unless it's on a tuesday or wednesday as i'll be at work

curse you long work commute!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:04 AM   #28
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I forgot it, Jakob is a kiwi post-rock band and they mix it with doom too, quite good band
Oooh. I just looked up their website, which says they're from the Hawkes Bay region and seek to evoke the region's landscape in their music. Well, I'm very familiar with Hawkes Bay, I visited it at least once a month when I lived in New Zealand, and let me just say that after listening to the samples on their website, their music evokes the region perfectly. One sample instantly made me think of driving through the Esk Valley with my father one autumn. I'm amazed. If their CDs weren't so damn expensive, I'd order one right now (curse being a uni student!).

Quote:
mix post-rock with folk isn't that common, I just know that 2 bands, and Finn Troll (sp?) in metal music
Ah, Finntroll, I'm familiar with them and another Finnish folk metal band, Korpiklaani. Good stuff, though I don't listen to it a whole lot. My kind of folk metal is of the atmospheric, black variety of Agalloch, or the death metal-infused Arabic/Hebrew style of Orphaned Land.

Quote:
GY!BE is my current favorite band (it's a shame they're in a kind of hiatus) and all related with them is great: A Silver Mt. Zion, Hrsta, Shalabi Effect, Set Fire to Flames, Esmerine, Fly Pan Am, 1-Speed Bike and so on, but it's a little difficult listen to GY!BE, try their shortest song that lasts 10 minutes ("Moya", a beautiful and epic tune)...

Mogwai is a good band to start... and they use some very metal-like riffs
On the basis of your and dudeman's recommendations, I shall check them out! And I don't think song length is at all a problem, considering the lengths prog runs to. Dream Theater's 23 minute A Change Of Seasons.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yeah, for me the cds prices are a problem too, with my little GY!BE obsession I'm spending lots of money these days... this summer I'm going to travel to Canada to get more stuff by them!

I liked what I've heard of Finntroll, a friend of mine is kinda a fan and well, he shares music with me, I'll check Orphaned Land... sounds interesting

if lenghts aren't a problem... then check "Sleep" by GY!BE, an absolutely piece of art... the whole "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" album is beautiful, my favorite album of all-time actually, I was writing an article for a magazine about this album a while ago, but I don't know what to say about it, I can't describe it with words