The 5th best band in the world!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't hate freedom, kieran.

why are you even questioning my motives? why are you denying my responsAbility? why are you posing? where are the cameras?!!?!?

WHERE ARE THE CAMERAS?!?!?!?

and shit, these lists are getting more and more predictable all the time aren't they?

1. Chuck Berry
2. Bob Dylan
3. The Beatles
4. The Clash
5. Nirvana

I'd say these 5 were probably the most responsible for causing dynamic changes in the music world after they made their impact. One could argue that Elvis should be there instead of Chuck Berry but his really "great" period lasted less time than Berry's. Dylan and the Beatles took music to the next level lyrically and experimentally. The Clash may not have been the first or the most "punk" of the punk scene but I would say they are the most accessible and varied of that movement and we all know how the music world took almost a decade (the 90s) to move out of the shadow of Nirvana.

If you were to talk about biggest/most popular bands the list would obviously be different. None of you know me, but this girl I've just spent the last few months falling for called me this morning and told me she's going back with her ex. Happy Saturday to me. I don't know why I just typed that...I feel pathetic.

I nominate the Smyths for number 5.

Not the Smiths that is; 'the Smyths'. They were a little-known wedding band in Birmingham (and surrounds) during the 80s, but they revolutionised the casio keyboard as an instrument for evangelical pop.

Last edited:
It a shame none of you know the Smiffs they're from the Welsh valleys, their biggest hiit was How Soon Is Cow, someone kill me:|

These aren't my top favorite top 5 bands of all time but I think the bands that impacted the world the most are:

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Elvis Presley
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Led Zepplien

Last edited:
Nube Gris said:
1.U2
2.The Beatles
3.Rolling Stones
4.The Who
5.PINK FLOYD Floyd tied with LED ZEPELLIN

6. The Clash
7. The Doors
8. Queen
9. Ramones
10.The Police

think this is a very good top10. Maybe kinks instead of ramones. And queen on 6, I think they're bigger than clash.

rjhbonovox said:

Another Stone Roses fan. What drivel, they were not even close to greatness!

Ya don't know what ya talkin about mate.

Britpop/rock wouldn't have existed if it wasnt for the Roses, and nor would several forms of dance music.

Had the band been able to withstand the pressure of becoming famous and much acclaimed, had they not had trouble settling into accepting that several of their songs had lleaked into the mainstream, they would still be around today, and with possibly 6 or 7 albums behind them.

The only reason Stone Roses aren't mentioned in the same breath as the Stones, Beatles, U2, Floyd and Zeppelin is cause they only made 2 albums which struggled for success on the chart.

Like U2 and the Beatles, they had the audacity to allow their music to evolve.

Their debut album and what preceded it sounds more Smithian and Beatlesque.

The Second Coming however sounded Zeppelinesque in some parts, and Tears, Daybreak and Driving South are masterpieces. Squire on guitar is something quite remarkable.

Non-Album tracks such as Mersey Paradise, Where Angels Play, Fools Gold are all fine too. As are their "Let's play the song backwards and see what it sounds like" experiments (Simone, Don't Stop).

Never underestimate the stone roses.

Queen are over rated in my opinion and many here have seen them fit to be included in their top 5's

Personally:

1. U2
2. Beatles
3. Jethro Tull
4. REM
5. The Clash
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Nirvana
8. Pink Floyd
9. Rolling Stones
10. Duran Duran

Queen??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IMO Queen should definitley be top 5

Nobody at the time they were around had anywhere near as much stage presence than Freddie Mercury.. take Live Aid for example, U2 were outstanding, but Queen were just phenomenal..

Freddie also had an absolutely incredible voice... with an extremely impressive range

Back
Top Bottom