The 5 Greatest Athlets of the last 20 years... talk amonst yourselfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

eh hem...

my hat size has increased in the past 4 years.

the only steroid i've taken is brewed in dublin.

i believe chizip once pointed this out... thanks again.

do i believe barry bonds was on steroids? yes. is there any scientific proof of this that's ever been made public? no.

but i feel no need to argue over a 2 year old thread.

man, youve been cranky the past few days.....simmer

I also wanted to see if ppls top five has changed.

I personally don't think tiger should be on this list simply because there is a lack of competition in golf and he is the only great golfer nowadays.

what about Kobayashi? this guy is a two sport superstar. he just ate 67 hamburgers in 8 mintues to win the world hamburger eating championship.

and we all know about his hot dog eating skills.

i think he should be at the top of any list of greatest athletes.

"Bo Knows.....Greatest Athlete."

bjackseason.jpg

hard to answer, so here comes the long-ass post (this is not a quarrel with anyone's selections, but actually it's completely self-indulgent)

if being dominant at a skill matters then you could pick any number of skill athletes more dominant than Tiger Woods.

Check out Steffi Graf's numbers, she not only won an actual Grand Slam (not a Tiger Slam) but also a Gold medal the same year. 1988. She beat Zvereva (sp?) 6-0, 6-0 in the French final in about 37 minutes or some shit. Unreal. Yes, that is only one year of course.
So let's go to majors. From 1987-1999 she won 22 major titles. Tiger has been playing pro for 9 years and has 9 majors. Don't get me wrong, Tiger is a bad-ass, I am just making a point.
He's an easy choice and a good one, but he's also doing something considerably less "athletic" than tennis.

If Steffi Graf looked like Sharapova or Kournikova and she were an American or even spoke better English at the time, she'd have been the biggest name in all of sports. Is my love for Steffi showing? Can't help it. :) I am not arguing with anybody, I'm just using this as an excuse to pimp Steffi.

What makes Michael Jordan a great athlete, because he can dunk from the free throw line or because he can put a rubber ball through a metal hoop on a ten foot pole. Part of that is the skill, so let's talk athletics, there is no way he was comparatively MORE athleltic than Julius Erving, who also dunked from the free throw line. Is it because he has championships?

if having championships and being a winner matters, then you couldn't pick Michael Jordan over Bill Russell who had 3 more titles than MJ. You'd also have to look at Terry Bradshaw who won just as many Super Bowls as Joe Montana. But then again, we are back to skill. Because while Montana, Marino, Unitas and Elway are often considered the best 4 Quarterbacks ever, they are essentially just good at a certain skill that requires athleticism.

To be good at many skills that require athleticism, now we are getting somewhere, but still what differentiates one skill from another, what seperates the discus from throwing fastballs? I guess it's difficulty, which is hard to measure. You could easily argue that the hardest thing to do in sports, team sports generally American is to hit a baseball. But that doesn't take into consideration many other odd skills that could be considered more difficult, maybe archery, who knows??

What is the point? Well besides boredom rambling, I think any of these lists is so completely subjective that it's really hard to argue with other people's selections, unless it's apples to apples.

As an American, who primarily likes American sports, as well as tennis and golf, and several olympic sports, I don't really have a definitive top 5. My favorite football player of all time is Joe MOntana, I could write a 200 word dissertation on why I think he's the best quarterback of all time, but that doesn't really make sense if I am comparing him to say, Jack Nicklaus or Jimmy Connors.

so by the sports I enjoy in particular, last 20 yrs: (top of my head)
Baseball
1-Roger Clemens
2-Barry Bonds
3-Ken Griffey Jr.
4-Tony Gwynn
5-?? tough, maybe Ripken for sentimental reasons
Basketball
1-MJ
2-Magic
3-Bird
4-Barkley
5-Olajuwon
Football
1-Jerry Rice
2-Barry Sanders
3-Joe Montana
John Elway
5-Lawrence Taylor
Golf
1-Tiger
2-Nick Faldo
3-Phil Mickelson
4-Greg Norman
5-Ernie Els
Tennis
1-Steffi Graf (maybe the most dominant I've ever seen any sport)
2-Pete Sampras
3-Andre Agassi
4-Roger Federer
5-Navratilova, hell she was still damn good after '85

Last edited:
sorry Headache, I didn't really answer your question, so I'll give you an answer, sort of.

If I were just to pick those who were most dominant, I'd go with Steffi, Gretzky (I omitted hockey above, I don't know that much about it) and probably Tiger.

Then I'd toss in Bo Jackson and Deon Sanders because I think what they did trumps just about any other football/baseball/basketball players. So that's my top 5.

How about Ian Thorpe:

At the 2004 Athens Olympic Games Ian won gold in the 200m and 400m freestyle, silver in the 4x200m freestyle relay and bronze in the 100m freestyle to become Australia's greatest ever Olympian. He became the first man in 44 years to successfully defend the 400m Olympic title and the first man in history to win medals in the 100m, 200m and 400m freestyle events at a single Olympics.

At the 2003 FINA World Championships held in Barcelona, Spain, Ian became the first athlete ever to win the same event in three consecutive championships when he won the 400 metre freestyle. He was later joined in this achievement by Grant Hackett who won his third consecutive 1500 metre freestyle World Championship title. Ian won the 200 metre freestyle and was part of the successful 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay team. Ian also performed well in his relatively new events, coming third in the 100 metre freestyle and 2nd in the 200 metre individual medley. He was also part of the 4 x 100 metre freestyle relay team which collected bronze. Ian set the new mark for World Championship success with his eleventh title in Barcelona.

At the 2002 Pan Pacific Championships held in Yokohama, Japan, Ian won the 100, 200 and 400 metre freestyle events as well as teaming up to win the 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 metre freestyle relays and the 4 x 100 metre medley relay.

At the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Ian won a total of six gold medals with victories in the 100, 200 and 400 metre freestyle events as well teaming up to win the 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 metre freestyle relays and the 4 x 100 metre medley relay. He also collected a silver medal in the 100 metre backstroke.

At the 2001 FINA World Championships Ian won six gold medals, the most gold medals ever won at a World Championships. In the process he broke world records in the 200, 400 and 800 metre freestyle and another with the 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay team.

At the 2001 Australian Championships, Ian became the first swimmer to win four consecutive 400 metre Australian freestyle titles since John Konrads did it from 1958 to 1961. He set new world records in the 200 and 800 metres freestyle, on the way to securing the 100, 200, 400 and 800 metre freestyle titles.

At the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Ian won three gold medals, all in world record time. He won the 400 metre freestyle and teamed up to win the 4 x 100 metre freestyle relay and the 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay. He also collected two silver medals in the 200 metre freestyle and in the 4 x 100 metre medley relay.

At the 1999 Pan Pacific Championships Ian won the 200 and 400 metre freestyle, and was part of the victorious 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay and the 4 x 100 metre freestyle relay teams. During this meet, Ian broke four world records over four days.

At the 1998 Commonwealth Games Ian won the 200 and 400 metre freestyle and was part of the successful 4 x 100 metre freestyle relay and 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay teams.

At the 1998 World Championships in Perth Ian won the 400 metre freestyle and was part of the victorious 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay team.

At the 1997 Pan Pacific Championships in Fukuoka, Japan, Ian swam his personal best times in the 400 metre freestyle and 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay to win two silver medals.

In 1997, at the age of 14, Ian became the youngest male swimmer ever chosen to represent Australia.

Oh, and can we include teams in this?

If so, how about the Australian Women's hockey team. Three olympic gold medals :up: The most successful women's hockey team ever.

(I'm only rating athletes the sports I know moderately well)

Basketball
-------------
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
David Robinson
Charles Barkley

American Football
----------------------
Dan Marino
Jerry Rice
Deion Sanders
Barry Sanders
Bo Jackson

Baseball
-----------
Roger Clemens
Nolan Ryan
Cal Ripken Jr.
Wade Boggs
Dennis Eckersly

I haven't read the whole thread but I'll be appalled if Daniel Vettori has not been mentioned.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it's not just north american athletes... but it is for athletes in the past 20 years. Pele was at the tail end of his career by the early 80s, so not really relevant in this category. But of all time, pele would deffinetly be one to consider.

And where is Maradona here? Or Ronaldinho? Or Zidane? Or any other soccer star, of what happens to be the most popular sport in the world?

This is way too U.S. / Canada focused. :down:

No one gives a damn about Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky or Barry Bonds outside of the U.S. / Canada.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a US focused thread because that's where most of the posters are from and tend not to care about soccer, much like non-North Americans don't care about Bonds and Montana. :shrug:

randhail said:
Maybe it's a US focused thread because that's where most of the posters are from and tend not to care about soccer, much like non-North Americans don't care about Bonds and Montana. :shrug:

Well, someone asked Headache and he argued to include Pele so this does not make sense.

Here is my list - tough to do because many "athletes" didn't win crap. My definition of an athelete is someone who excels at his sport and wins - wins a lot w/ both body and brains. I also don't follow hockey.....

1. Jordan
2. Montana
3. Ken Griffey Jr (although he hasn't won crap) he was a stud throughout the 90s
4. Barry Sanders - pure talent and he didn't win crap either
5.Bird - tenacious, knew the game....made up for his lack of speed w/ hustle, quick thinking, trash talking, and a KILLER jumper.

Flame me:combust:

U2@NYC said:

And where is Maradona here? Or Ronaldinho? Or Zidane? Or any other soccer star, of what happens to be the most popular sport in the world?

This is way too U.S. / Canada focused. :down:

No one gives a damn about Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky or Barry Bonds outside of the U.S. / Canada.

No-one gives a damn about what's outside the US/Canada. :happy:

The basic ignorance of rugby union on this thread is criminal considering the fact rugby requires arguably the most physical toughness and athleticism of any popular sport. Your typical rugby forward could steamroller most of the people mentioned here.

Oh, and where's the respect for Sir Peter Blake, one of the greatest yachtsmen to take to the seas? :tsk:

king carey!! :lmao: sydney almost went into meltdown when it was hinted he might slink his nasty arse up our way :D we were happy you got him.

these people are just FREAKS
ian thorpe
kieren perkins
michael klim
alexander popov
michael phelps
maurice greene
asafa powell
marion jones

ball sports

australian rules football
tony lockett
wayne carey
michael voss

cricket
shane warne
glenn mcgrath
matthew hayden - arms like tree trunks, reflexes like a cat, the perfect sportsman
ricky ponting
adam gilchrist
andrew symonds
andrew flintoff

basketball
michael jordan
shaquille o'neal
yao ming
tim duncan
vince carter
magic johnson
kevin garnett
lebron james

tennis
roger federer
pete sampras - yup hes SECOND(!) :huh:
patrick rafter - the ultimate sports hero
boris becker
stefan edberg
steffi graf
venus + serena williams

soccer
diego maradona
ronaldo - the barcelona days
rivaldo
cafu
thierry henry
patrick viera
david beckham
eric cantona
petr schmeichel

Axver said:

No-one gives a damn about what's outside the US/Canada. :happy:

The basic ignorance of rugby union on this thread is criminal considering the fact rugby requires arguably the most physical toughness and athleticism of any popular sport. Your typical rugby forward could steamroller most of the people mentioned here.

i'd agree with this, i don't know enough about rugby to say who should go in a top 5 sporting list but it's definitely a very popular world sport with some incredible athlete's.

Yeah, I wish I knew more about worldwide sports, but I'm in the US where it focuses on the 4 major North American sports

Baseball
Basketball
Football
Hockey

(maybe talk about soccer, but that's more euro/south american than anything)

Rugby does sound like it's kickass though

CrashedCarDriver said:
these people are just FREAKS
ian thorpe
kieren perkins
michael klim
alexander popov
michael phelps
maurice greene
asafa powell
marion jones

ball sports

australian rules football
tony lockett
wayne carey
michael voss

cricket
shane warne
glenn mcgrath
matthew hayden - arms like tree trunks, reflexes like a cat, the perfect sportsman
ricky ponting
adam gilchrist
andrew symonds
andrew flintoff

basketball
michael jordan
shaquille o'neal
yao ming
tim duncan
vince carter
magic johnson
kevin garnett