The 2014 AFL Thread with Wankard and Big Mummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many classic matchups tomorrow, I don't even know where to start...

There are legit chances of upsets in GWS vs Carlton and Melbourne vs North. GWS seem to have finally found a bit of spark and Melbourne are trying to regain their dignity (well, and which North will turn up?).

But yeah on paper it looks like a dull day of footy for sure. No way known St Kilda won't get flogged.

Noticed Winderlich took one of our players out behind play. Pathetic sniper. And I thought he was a decent player too.

Amazingly, despite only winning 5 games so far this year, West Coast has a higher percentage than Geelong and the distance between them will probably be considerably greater after tomorrow.

Noticed Winderlich took one of our players out behind play. Pathetic sniper. And I thought he was a decent player too.

I was surprised you didn't pipe up about that sooner! I'm a bit annoyed about it, since I imagine he'll get suspended and we could really use him over the next three weeks! With a run of Geelong, Port, Collingwood, we need all the quality players we can get.

Amazingly, despite only winning 5 games so far this year, West Coast has a higher percentage than Geelong and the distance between them will probably be considerably greater after tomorrow.

That's what a 110 point belting will do to you, I guess!

OK, I'm barracking for Melbourne tomorrow. If they can knock off North Melbourne, it should reduce North's percentage by enough to let Essendon sneak into the eight. :up:

I was surprised you didn't pipe up about that sooner! I'm a bit annoyed about it, since I imagine he'll get suspended and we could really use him over the next three weeks! With a run of Geelong, Port, Collingwood, we need all the quality players we can get.

Because I didn't find out what happened until after the game finished, honestly. I thought Brown just got winded in a contest.

Ugh, shame the one game without any chance of an upset is the one on free-to-air today. What's even the point of St Kilda showing up?

Really, really strong finish to the quarter though. Everyone is contributing. Let's get back in this.

Go Giants go! I'll be impressed if my optimistic tipping of both expansion teams against big Victorian teams actually pays off.

I'm not sure why I delayed in completely giving up hope on the season, but now I have. I can't believe how awful we are after basically breaking even last year. This sort of regression is inexcusable.

You're having the same problem as I am, Traviud, a couple of strong efforts always end up skewing expectations and then when there's another bad one you ask yourself why you even bothered. I should've given up after the Carlton loss, to be honest.

Yeah, both Adelaide and Carlton will end up somewhere in the 9-12 range. Basically the most disappointing spot on the ladder.

As I said last night, we're competitive but always seem to be 2 goals away from victory. Once in a while, it's understandable. But after a while, it's clearly coaching.

Last edited:
Congrats, Axver, for being one of the 20% that got this one right. My tipping has really fallen off.

Can GWS hold on though...?

Yeah, both Adelaide and Carlton will end up somewhere in the 9-12 range. Basically the most disappointing spot on the ladder.

I would've thought 18th would be the most disappointing spot! :lol:

I would've thought 18th would be the most disappointing spot! :lol:

No, mediocrity is worse because you're suckered into watching more of a season that isn't going anywhere.

If you're the wooden spoon winner and you know it, you can move on in May.

Per afl.com.au:

"At the moment, the Blues can't even buy a goal, even if it were on a six percent off sale on e bay!"

"the Blues can't even buy a goal, even if it were on a six percent off sale on e bay!"

"even if it were on a six percent off sale on e bay!"

"a six percent off sale on e bay!"

"sale on e bay!"

"e bay!"

No, mediocrity is worse because you're suckered into watching more of a season that isn't going anywhere.

If you're the wooden spoon winner and you know it, you can move on in May.

See, that doesn't make too much of a difference to me, because I'm a sad sack who watches every game and every season to the end, even if my team's fucked. I stuck it out last year, didn't I! I've always believed in sticking with your team to the bitter end.

See, that doesn't make too much of a difference to me, because I'm a sad sack who watches every game and every season to the end, even if my team's fucked. I stuck it out last year, didn't I! I've always believed in sticking with your team to the bitter end.

I watched every NFL game last year despite my team being an embarrassing 3-13 after a great 2012 campaign (similar to the dropoff for this year's Blues) and will try my damndest to hang in there.

But it's tough. Fucking hell.

I may not have been right to tip Carlton, but I was dead right about what kind of game this was going to be.

I watched every NFL game last year despite my team being an embarrassing 3-13 after a great 2012 campaign (similar to the dropoff for this year's Blues) and will try my damndest to hang in there.

But it's tough. Fucking hell.

I suppose I'm lucky to always have the All Blacks to come back to, since they have such a sensational record. Essendon can flop and Wellington can be inconsistent as fuck, but as soon as the international rugby rolls around mid-year and in November, I normally get a nice boost.

And in following the score on my phone, which counts the time up rather than down, I was worried GWS might be blowing it through inaccuracy and Carlton could steal it in the end. Great win for the youngsters, especially in being able to hold on.

I fully expected this to be an absolute thumping. Surprised how well the Saints are doing, even if they're now a little behind.

I keep meaning to watch that - though it's on at shit o'clock isn't it?

Can't believe I missed out on going 9/9 with my tips simply because I had zero faith in my own team, even while tipping both Gold Coast and GWS. Don't think any of us have yet noted that this was the first time ever GWS have won back to back games. That's a very welcome development. Though I wonder how many players know the club song! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom