The 2013 AFL Thread Not Under ASADA Investigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is going on in the final quarter of Brisbane vs Geelong?! Brisbane have scored 34 to 8 since the final break and are just twelve points behind with six minutes to go. Ugh why is there no stream of this!

Edit: never mind, found one. A goal's difference and two minutes to go. Carn Lions!

ASH MCGRATH GOAL AFTER THE SIREN TO WIN IT FOR THE LlONS IN HIS 200TH GAME!!!

The last two minutes were just off the hook. Looked like Tom Hawkins had sealed it for Geelong with less than a minute to go when he kicked a behind from a tough angle after running the clock down. No idea how Brisbane got the ball all the way down the field so quickly after that to get the winner.

Well, now Chris Scott knows how Brad feels every second week.

Well, no one saw that coming. I don't know whether to be sad for my tips or happy that Geelong's not as unbeatable as we all thought they were.

Two losses now, yeah they're definitely not unbeatable. Hawthorn is the best side in the competition right now. Round 1 be damned, I think they'll beat the Cats when they meet up in a few weeks.

I think Hawthorn have been lucky, and I'm not at all confident about them beating Geelong, but then I never am. :wink:

Reading back on the commentary, though, it feels like the Hawks played better footy on Friday than they have been.

Kitten!

e2fu.jpg

Hey all, I've spent the past couple of weeks calling people and checking facts and writing and shit and here's the cover story I wrote on women's footy. Talks about the bad old days, the development of women's footy, the draft in May, the upcoming curtain raiser, and the future of women's footy - nearly everyone I spoke to envisages a national AFL women's comp - so AFL clubs fielding women's teams - by 2020. Have a read if you want :)

AFL Women's Round: And the big girls fly | Northern Weekly

Jobe just admitted he took a banned substance on live TV...

I haven't seen the footage, but it sounds to me more like he says he took a substance that is now banned, but that wasn't at the time and/or he was informed wasn't banned by medical staff? It's hard to get through all the guff to figure out what's actually accurate, especially since the last couple of days I haven't had time to read as much news as normal, but this really sounds like Trevor Chappell admitting on live TV that his under-arm delivery is illegal now, i.e. not news.

There is obviously something that we (general public, media) don't know, because Jobe was supremely confident, as was Tim on SEN this morning. They can't say why, but why admit to otherwise? It seems like there's something about it all that will exonerate them. I just wrote on Twitter that perhaps he's so confident because he's been assured a six-month ban from October-March. That's probably stupid, though.

There was a VFL player who got banned for 18 months for importing some powder or something that contained a banned substance. Never took it and legitimately didn't know he was doing anything wrong. Jobe's admitted to taking a banned substance and seems to think he won't be banned. Double standards?

Also it would be disappointing if some players/coaches/staff weren't charged with bringing game into disrepute. Will demonstrate it's all a boys' club. Hmm.

Ex-ASADA boss Richard Ings has bad news for Bomber fans. Says it's been banned by ASADA since Jan 1 2011.

No way Watson can escape ban: former ASADA boss | Illawarra Mercury

Meanwhile, read @AFLTribunal for a laugh - Ryan Crowley was contesting his $1200 for pinching Brent Harvey. The two of them bickered for like an hour. Ridiculous.

Hey all, I've spent the past couple of weeks calling people and checking facts and writing and shit and here's the cover story I wrote on women's footy. Talks about the bad old days, the development of women's footy, the draft in May, the upcoming curtain raiser, and the future of women's footy - nearly everyone I spoke to envisages a national AFL women's comp - so AFL clubs fielding women's teams - by 2020. Have a read if you want :)

AFL Women's Round: And the big girls fly | Northern Weekly

This was really good, by the way. There's one thing that confuses me a bit though. What's always struck me is how heavily involved women are as fans of footy, far more than any sport - it seems there's no major gender divide in following footy, while I know almost no women who care much about rugby or cricket and the gender divide following those sports in NZ/NSW/QLD is obvious - but those other sports have far more developed women's leagues. I guess it helps that they're international sports, but women's cricket and women's rugby are very well developed and have pretty prestigious tournaments, while by the sounds of it women's AFL is only now starting to gather steam. Strange.

Shame I won't be in the country Saturday, or I'd have enjoyed going to that curtain-raiser. Well, maybe. Melbourne vs Dogs? Couldn't care less about either club, whatever the gender of the people on the field. Why two teams with such limited fanbases? You'd think making it Collingwood vs Carlton or Essendon vs Richmond or whatever would be far more beneficial a launching pad. Heaps more interest and publicity.

There is obviously something that we (general public, media) don't know, because Jobe was supremely confident, as was Tim on SEN this morning. They can't say why, but why admit to otherwise? It seems like there's something about it all that will exonerate them. I just wrote on Twitter that perhaps he's so confident because he's been assured a six-month ban from October-March. That's probably stupid, though.

There was a VFL player who got banned for 18 months for importing some powder or something that contained a banned substance. Never took it and legitimately didn't know he was doing anything wrong. Jobe's admitted to taking a banned substance and seems to think he won't be banned. Double standards?

Also it would be disappointing if some players/coaches/staff weren't charged with bringing game into disrepute. Will demonstrate it's all a boys' club. Hmm.

Ex-ASADA boss Richard Ings has bad news for Bomber fans. Says it's been banned by ASADA since Jan 1 2011.

No way Watson can escape ban: former ASADA boss | Illawarra Mercury

Yeah I'm very curious to see how this plays out. I imagine the difference between this and the VFL player is the substantial legal muscle being marshalled in Essendon's defence - and it's no secret that the Bombers' stature within the AFL will help them out. Every sport has its nepotism and aristocracy. I figure there will be some serious wrangling that will culminate in off-field sanctions, fines, sackings of executives and medical staff and the like, and some draft penalties.

I expect the 2012 Brownlow to be stripped from Jobe though. Hopefully he'll win it again this year cleanly, though Gaz is putting up a mighty challenge to him.

This was really good, by the way. There's one thing that confuses me a bit though. What's always struck me is how heavily involved women are as fans of footy, far more than any sport - it seems there's no major gender divide in following footy, while I know almost no women who care much about rugby or cricket and the gender divide following those sports in NZ/NSW/QLD is obvious - but those other sports have far more developed women's leagues. I guess it helps that they're international sports, but women's cricket and women's rugby are very well developed and have pretty prestigious tournaments, while by the sounds of it women's AFL is only now starting to gather steam. Strange.

Shame I won't be in the country Saturday, or I'd have enjoyed going to that curtain-raiser. Well, maybe. Melbourne vs Dogs? Couldn't care less about either club, whatever the gender of the people on the field. Why two teams with such limited fanbases? You'd think making it Collingwood vs Carlton or Essendon vs Richmond or whatever would be far more beneficial a launching pad. Heaps more interest and publicity.

That is a very good observation. Should have asked. Might do so!

True, and it is a shame that the crowd will be lessened because Melb-WB is a low draw, but it's simply because Melbourne went to the AFL with the idea first, along with the Dogs (Sue Alberti is a stalwart of the game, she played a game of women's footy in the 60s!). Melbourne has been the hardest driver of women's footy in the AFL. AFL could hardly take it off them and give it to Collingwood. The hope is next year more teams will get involved.

I really think people will be surprised by the standard - it is literally the 50 best female footballers in the country. You never see that in the AFL.

Yeah I'm very curious to see how this plays out. I imagine the difference between this and the VFL player is the substantial legal muscle being marshalled in Essendon's defence - and it's no secret that the Bombers' stature within the AFL will help them out. Every sport has its nepotism and aristocracy. I figure there will be some serious wrangling that will culminate in off-field sanctions, fines, sackings of executives and medical staff and the like, and some draft penalties.

I expect the 2012 Brownlow to be stripped from Jobe though. Hopefully he'll win it again this year cleanly, though Gaz is putting up a mighty challenge to him.

Whatever happens, the AFL and ASADA must be wary of setting a precedent.

Definitely seems a two-horse race for the Brownlow. Reckon Gaz is leading at the moment though Jobe would be very close.

True, and it is a shame that the crowd will be lessened because Melb-WB is a low draw, but it's simply because Melbourne went to the AFL with the idea first, along with the Dogs (Sue Alberti is a stalwart of the game, she played a game of women's footy in the 60s!). Melbourne has been the hardest driver of women's footy in the AFL. AFL could hardly take it off them and give it to Collingwood. The hope is next year more teams will get involved.

I really think people will be surprised by the standard - it is literally the 50 best female footballers in the country. You never see that in the AFL.

Fair enough, and I suppose the perk for the two clubs is trying to expand their fanbase a bit through pioneering a thing like this. At least one of their teams won't be complete shit! I'd certainly go more for the women's game than the men's one.

Hope the other clubs are on board soon.

Definitely seems a two-horse race for the Brownlow. Reckon Gaz is leading at the moment though Jobe would be very close.

If Gaz doesn't get it, it will only be because he was on the losing team a bit too often. Though at the rate Gold Coast's going, they're going to win enough games to give him a red hot chance of snaring the Brownlow. Jobe's been great this year but Gaz is the best player in the tournament and he seems to be in the form of his life. Can't do something wrong even if he tried.

Can't see women's footy having a national league any time soon. Women's soccer has grown outrageously around the world and here in Australia, but even the W-League is struggling financially, desire having average crowds of 500 (which is strong relatively speaking). We'll see.

If Watson is stripped, Cotchin becomes Brownlow Medallist with Sam Mitchell, which is pretty cool because Richmond players very rarely win Brownlows.

Enjoyed yr. article, Cobbler. Good stuff. Can't wait for the Demons and Bulldogs game (wow, never thought I'd say that).

It should go without saying that I'd already watched and thoroughly enjoyed and contemplated making GIFs of the top 10 hairstyles video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom