The 2013-14 AFL Thread Coached By Paul Roos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now Sydney have a scoreless quarter! :lol:

Not that it mattered by that stage. Solid win for the Swannies, and McVeigh got 42 disposals! Though those injuries and the massive effort of tonight are going to make it tough for Sydney next Saturday against a fresh and rested Freo.

Piss off Carlton!

I love how at quarter time the commentary team were saying the ground was a bit wet but it wasn't that bad and wouldn't affect the game etc., and now they're all saying how awful it was and the AFL should never have signed off on it and Questions Will Be Asked!!1!

Looks like everything went quite predictably last night. I'm in festival mode right now so I couldn't stay up to watch it.

Very good season for us, nonetheless. So much great late season footy to build on.

My job might frustrate me sometimes - it doesn't challenge me much and I probably do about 3, 3.5 days actual work in the 5 days that I work, which makes me feel guilty.

But today I spent the entire day at Lancefield Park for the RDFL Grand Final. Covered the Under 18.5s, Reserves and Seniors. The Under 18.5s had an incredible finish - Rupertswood were trailing by 11 points at three-quarter time and had the breeze in the last, but kicked 1.4 - the siren sounded seconds before Rupertswood marked metres out from their goal. The total margin across the three games was 17 points. The losing senior coach told me how he appreciated me coming to speak to him after the game, instead of calling, and how he had respect and appreciation for my work. Was awesome.

tl;dr - Brian Taylor, - yes, BT - assistant coach at Riddell (his two sons play there), gave one of the umpires an almighty spray during the senior game. "YOU WEAK PRICK!" among other words.

'boy oh boy wowee that was a shit decision see you at the umpire review panel'

Oh my god I must know more about this BT spray!

He's much less of a ridiculous caricature in real life. His footy knowledge is actually quite evident at the huddles.

I like to imagine he's an even more ridiculous caricature. He gets up one morning and his wife's cooked him breakfast. "BOY OH BOY WOWEE!" He then gets a phone call telling him he'll be commentating Collingwood vs Richmond. "GEE WHAT ABOUT THAT MAKE NO MISTAKE!"

Anyway, sounds like a quality day of footy Danny. And don't complain if you're getting paid for 5 days of work and feel like you only put in about 3-3.5. :wink:

Very Disappointed :( he was superb for us this year and that fend-off is the most impressive signature-move in the modern game.

We simply must hold onto ConCa now.

Me neither. They did a lot for him and if he's demanding 600k (when 500k should be enough to live on) and a distracting influence on the club then say goodbye.

All-Australian team announced:

1237086_386865404775990_2107806999_n.jpg

Hey Jobe made All-Australian! A bright spot for Bombers fans - I'll take what I can get. :up:

Mackie is unglamorous but gets the job done, so it is good to see a player chosen for their reliability rather than accumulation of statistics. He deserves it.

It is a really impressive team this season. McVeigh, Mitchell and Enright are such team players. Boak and Wingard's inclusions show how far Port Power have come.

Would have chosen Goldstein over Minson for ruck duties, and the Richmond fan in me really wishes that Rance was FB. He was superb this year.

If Fremantle go on to win the flag, it would be quite interesting that they only have the one All-Australian representative.

The Grand Final's going to have commentary in 10 different languages. Unfortunately no Russian commentary, with the closest being Croatian.

Thinking way ahead here but imagine seeing Pav hold the cup.

I keep wanting to believe. Few players deserve the honour more.

Tips for this week:

Hawthorn vs Geelong: I've kept emphasising my firm belief that Hawthorn will finally overcome Kennett's curse in a sudden-death match, and this conviction has been bolstered by key Cats being ruled out due to injury/suspension. It'll probably be the only time Hawthorn beats Geelong between now and 2018.

Freo vs Sydney: Freo are well-rested and largely fit now, playing at home in the biggest game of their history. Sydney are ravaged by injury, exhausted after last week, and playing on the wrong side of the continent. Freo, all going right, will make their first grand final. I'll be on the edge of my fucking seat.

If we get a Hawks vs Freo grand final - and barring any shocking injuries or major suspensions this week - I'll be tipping Freo. I don't know quite why I'm so excited about them, but my disdain towards Ross Lyon at the start of the year has totally evaporated and now I really want to see them win the whole thing. Meanwhile, nobody in Melbourne really seems to rate them, or has only just started to take them seriously. I used to think the "Victorians don't give a shit about non-Victorians teams" thing was a tad exaggerated, but given the way Freo have flown completely under the radar and been ignored virtually all season, now I agree fully.

I kinda wish I was going to this year's GF just so I could scream the lyrics of Holy Grail with 90something thousand other people at half time.

If you don't make it this year, I'm sure Holy Grail will feature again. It already has three times!

Meanwhile, nobody in Melbourne really seems to rate them, or has only just started to take them seriously. I used to think the "Victorians don't give a shit about non-Victorians teams" thing was a tad exaggerated, but given the way Freo have flown completely under the radar and been ignored virtually all season, now I agree fully.

It might be that many Victorians just don't give a shit about any but their own team, or maybe one or two others... and it might be lingering arrogance about how all these "new" interstate teams are never going to be as good as the good old Victorian teams, which is patently rubbish. Mind you, having interstate teams in the upper echelons of the finals isn't the talking point now that it once was.

It'll be a long road to interstate-team equality... :wink:

Also, I don't know about anti-interstate bias. It's there, but I don't think it's that bad. The 05-06 grand finals were widely celebrated. Everyone here loves Sydney. Brisbane had plenty of support during their dynasty.

Back
Top Bottom