The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it needs to be on the top page... :wink:

It's a gorgeous day in Hockeytown :drool:

2008-0604-dg-DetPitt12081.jpg

Ozzie you da man :hi5:

2008-0604-dg-DetPitt1314.jpg

2008-0604-dg-DetPitt1439.jpg

2008-0604-jg-DetPitt-1902s.jpg

And finally, this my friends, is why this is the best freaking trophy in all of sports :drunk:
2008-0604-dg-DetPitt2007.jpg

Have you guys seen this:

Is the song over for Hockey Night in Canada?

Jun 05, 2008 09:23 AM
Curtis Rush
STAFF REPORTER

Hockey Night in Canada’s signature theme song may have been heard for the final time on CBC last night, says the composer of the song dubbed “Canada’s second national anthem.”

The licence agreement to use the song expired with the final game of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs, according to statements posted this week on the website hockeytheme.com

On the website, Copyright Music and Visuals president John Ciccone says CBC has advised his company, which controls use of the song, and composer Dolores Claman that it is not prepared to sign a new agreement.

Ciccone says CBC was offered a new deal on terms similar to those that existed for the past decade. The cost to the CBC, Ciccone said, amounts to about $500 per broadcast.

The Hockey Night in Canada song was composed by Claman in 1968 and has become one of the longest-running theme songs in broadcasting history.

"I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada theme after our lengthy history together,” Claman said in a statement on the website.

“I nevertheless respect its right to move in a new direction."

Neither Claman nor Ciccone could be reached for comment this morning.

CBC spokeperson Jeff Keay said he could not immediately confirm details because the head of CBC sports, Scott Moore, was in transit from Pittsburgh, where the Detroit Red Wings beat the Penguins last night in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final.

"I know we've been having discussions," Keay said.

TheStar.com | Canada | Is the song over for Hockey Night in Canada?

wtf... that's horrible!

Reds

This is hard for me to say considering I hate the Red Wings with all my heart but... Congratulations!!!

It was a very good series.

:crossesfingers:

It would just be weird not to hear that every Saturday night.

4 Cups in 11 years? You tell me. :wink:

Based on that logic, Montreal is home :yes:

But I'm watching NBC, and it's from Detroit of course, and they too continuously broadcast "Cup comes Homes" :confused:

Are you going to the parade April? Have fun, if so - and bring some water, it's supposed to be a scorcher!

Seriously, if the CBC is not willing to pay $500 per airing of HNC for the theme song I may have to go down to headquarters and thump some skulls... :angry:

Considering the amount they make on ad revenues it seems like a drop in the bucket to me :shrug:

Based on that logic, Montreal is home :yes:

But I'm watching NBC, and it's from Detroit of course, and they too continuously broadcast "Cup comes Homes" :confused:

Are you going to the parade April? Have fun, if so - and bring some water, it's supposed to be a scorcher!

Ok, so Detroit is the American equivalent of the Canadian hockey dynasty. :wink: Seriously, though, it has been one hell of an 11 years... Ups and downs, but the first one was the sweetest (and most bittersweet...).

Seriously, if the CBC is not willing to pay $500 per airing of HNC for the theme song I may have to go down to headquarters and thump some skulls...

Considering the amount they make on ad revenues it seems like a drop in the bucket to me :shrug:

Is the President of CBC also the Pres of the Leafs? :scratch:

24 Cups all-time, you tell me. :wink:

So I think that makes 11 Cups all-time for Detroit, tied for second with Toronto. I think....I think that they have a somewhat reasonable chance of surpassing the Maple Leafs. :D

I think so... :hi5:

No parade for me... Had to work :mad: and also I was at the one in 97 and almost died from sun poisoning so I wasn't exaclty jumping at the chance to risk it again, lol.

Looks like it was an awesome day, though. A friend of mine works downtown and she sent me a pic of one of the players (couldn't tell who from my phone) holding the Cup above his head. :love:

bilde

:drool:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:sad: :scream::banghead:

:censored: x infinity

HNIC song deal falls through

Negotiations to keep the Hockey Night in Canada theme song have collapsed, meaning the program is now in search of another anthem.

Copyright Music & Visuals, the Toronto agency representing the song's composer, Dolores Claman, said on Friday that the deal had fallen through.

That news came as a surprise to the CBC, said Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports.

"We're disappointed, as many Canadians are," Moore said, adding he found out about the deal falling through from CBC News.

"We have no real idea why the deal fell apart," he said. "We're not sure why because the other side hasn't communicated with us.

"You have to ask the other side what happened."

Copyright Music & Visuals said it had offered the public broadcaster a chance to renew its licence to use Claman's song - a staple on HNIC since 1968 - on terms that were "virtually identical to those that have existed for the past decade."

Previously, each use of the song cost the CBC about $500, the agency said.

After the first two years of a new agreement, the rates would rise about 15 per cent, an increase Copyright Music & Visuals president John Ciccone called an industry standard.

A call made to Ciccone by CBCSports.ca was not returned Friday.

Claman, who has written about 2,000 jingles over her career, is also credited with the Ontario theme A Place to Stand, which she co-wrote with her husband Richard Morris in 1967.

Contest for new theme in works

Moore said Friday the two sides had agreed upon a price, but added an "unfortunate set of circumstances," including an outstanding lawsuit, hovered over negotiations.

A lawsuit filed against the CBC in late 2004 by the composer alleging that the broadcaster was overusing the Hockey Night in Canada theme has not been settled. Copyright Music & Visuals says the litigation hasn't interfered with the CBC's use of music, nor was settlement of the suit a condition for the proposed new licensing agreement.

"We really can't do business with a lawsuit hanging over our heads," Moore said. "We feel that we've done everything we possibly can."

CBC Sports will now move on and launch a new national contest in conjunction with Nettwerk Music Group to find a new theme song, he said. Canadians will be invited to write and record an original song for Hockey Night in Canada, with fans and a jury of experts choosing the best new composition.

The winner will receive $100,000 and proceeds from any royalties will go to minor hockey across the country. More details on the contest will be revealed in the next week.

"We expect a lot of terrific music, and we expect that the new theme for Hockey Night in Canada will be as iconic as the last two themes have been," he said.

Earlier on Friday, Liberal heritage critic Denis Coderre told reporters in Ottawa that Conservative Heritage Minister Josée Verner must defend one of Canada's most famous musical traditions and do everything possible to ensure the CBC continues to broadcast the theme.

"The Hockey Night in Canada theme is a part of Canada's culture that goes beyond sport," Coderre said. "If the minister wants to show that she cares about Canadian heritage, this is her chance."

Gah, but he didn't even play in the finals...strange...

Is it possible this is something you're wrong about too? :wink:

:madwife:

He didn't play in the finals because he pulled something in the Dallas series, and even though he declared himself fit to play, Babcock decided to use someone else.

I'm almost certain I'm not wrong about this. :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom