The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Headache likes to pop in occasionally and show us how poorly hockey is faring in the U.S. (which in my mind says more about Americans' taste in sports than about hockey :wink:) but I came across the following in an article about how the CBC, and in particular Don Cherry, like to ignore Sid the Kid:

Globe and Mail:

Cup audiences

After several years of futility, the NHL is beginning to make gains on American television.

For the third game of the Stanley Cup final, NBC earned a national rating of 2.1 (the percentage of potential households tuned in). That's a 118-per-cent increase from last year's third-game rating of 1.1 (Anaheim Ducks-Ottawa Senators). The telecast was watched by 4.04 million viewers, an increase of 144 per cent from 1.65 million last year. As well, the U.S. cable channel Versus set audience records for its telecasts of the first two games.

The numbers are not a surprise. For the first time since the 2004-05 lockout, the matchup involves two U.S. teams that have plenty of stars and are in strong hockey markets. The calibre of play in the third game, particularly in the third period, was outstanding.

In the Detroit market, NBC's 18.2 overnight rating surpassed by more than 14 per cent that of ESPN's 15.9 for the fifth game 5 of the Detroit Pistons-Boston Celtics NBA Eastern Conference final. The NBC telecast earned a whopping 33.1 overnight rating in the Pittsburgh market. In Canada, the CBC drew 2.042 million. RDS's audience was 684,000.

I know Headache likes to pop in occasionally and show us how poorly hockey is faring in the U.S. (which in my mind says more about Americans' taste in sports than about hockey :wink:) but I came across the following in an article about how the CBC, and in particular Don Cherry, like to ignore Sid the Kid:

Globe and Mail:

Cup audiences

After several years of futility, the NHL is beginning to make gains on American television.

For the third game of the Stanley Cup final, NBC earned a national rating of 2.1 (the percentage of potential households tuned in). That's a 118-per-cent increase from last year's third-game rating of 1.1 (Anaheim Ducks-Ottawa Senators). The telecast was watched by 4.04 million viewers, an increase of 144 per cent from 1.65 million last year. As well, the U.S. cable channel Versus set audience records for its telecasts of the first two games.

The numbers are not a surprise. For the first time since the 2004-05 lockout, the matchup involves two U.S. teams that have plenty of stars and are in strong hockey markets. The calibre of play in the third game, particularly in the third period, was outstanding.

In the Detroit market, NBC's 18.2 overnight rating surpassed by more than 14 per cent that of ESPN's 15.9 for the fifth game 5 of the Detroit Pistons-Boston Celtics NBA Eastern Conference final. The NBC telecast earned a whopping 33.1 overnight rating in the Pittsburgh market. In Canada, the CBC drew 2.042 million. RDS's audience was 684,000.

The reasons the ratings are great in the US for this these particular Finals are 1) both teams are from cities where people actually care about hockey and 2) the large amount of bona fide stars on both teams. If you aren't a hockey fan, you didn't care at all about last year's Finals. People who don't follow hockey will still recognize Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg.

I also cannot stand VS. or NBC. I hate how they don't show any of the pre-game stuff with the teams waiting in the wings itching to get out on the ice, the pre-game intros, the anthems, and how they love to interview people *during* game action.

My home team of Detroit just beat Pittsburgh 2-1.:yippie: Hockey is the only sport I like and the only time I thoroughly enjoy physical violence.:rockon:

Suck it, Pittsburgh, suck it hard:madspit:

Suck it indeed. I love it.

Hockey coverage in the US generally sucks. And ESPN leads the pack in that regard. They did a half-decent job (nothing great but passable) when they had the sport, but once the NHL signed on with VS ESPN has seemed to almost go out of their way to marginalize hockey even more. They had one hockey guy (Melrose) and they act like his word is gospel...I don't mine Barry Mullet but he isn't the be-all-end-all source of hockey knowledge. And now that Melrose is apparently set to get back in the coaching game with Tampa they turn to Grapes who I enjoy as a longtime hockey fan...but if the casual fan sees Don Cherry with his outrageous outfits and his whole schtick they're going to laugh at him, rather than with him.

I'm honestly well past the point of caring about how many Americans watch/like hockey. I like it, enough people like it to where it isn't going anywhere and that's good enough for me. I'm sure Kimbo Slice beat the game 4 ratings from last night (I was flipping back & forth, sue me) but does it really matter? Either the sport will sell itself or it won't; the league shouldn't try so hard. As long as I never another FOX fighting robot or flashing puck (complete with comet-tail on those extra-hard slappers) I'm cool.

Edit: At least NBC had the common sense to use Mike Emrick who's very good. I used to love him & Bill Clement doing games on ESPN (ESPN was good at hockey in the 80s before they became the MTV of sports). Somebody needs to put those 2 together again.

They should dress Yzerman for the game, 1 day contract :)

For the record, Don Cherry is the fucking man.:love: His suits, FTW.:cool:

Don Cherry is a racist. His suits are entertaining, though, I'll give you that...

Pens have no chance. They've been so sluggish during this series. :yawn:

This is the first game in ages that I've been able to watch all the way through. Man, I'd missed watching hockey.

Fleury just made an incredible save! :up: I thought that was gonna go in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom