The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, why don't we wait a few years and see just how great of a trade this turns out to be. I love Santana and all, but, it's a tad early to crown this as the best anything yet.

Also, he was not a free agent. He was traded for.

Absolutely correct. Santana was not a free agent signing at all. Brain fart on my part. Wasn't it three minor league pitchers that the Twins received?

Instead of the best free agent signing ever, I will change my statement to say that it was the best trade of the last decade.

Absolutely correct. Santana was not a free agent signing at all. Brain fart on my part. Wasn't it three minor league pitchers that the Twins received?

Instead of the best free agent signing ever, I will change my statement to say that it was the best trade of the last decade.

The Mets also gave up OF Carlos Gomez to get Johan. If Johan's arm falls off next year and the Mets keep playing .500 ball.....and Gomez goes on to be a star, then this trade will have backfired. Maybe both players excel and it's a win-win.

I'm not saying any of that will happen, because you nor I have any idea what will happen.....what I'm saying is, you seem to really follow and love sports, so you should know that you cannot possibly evaluate a good or bad trade until there's some evidence compiled.

The Pierzynski for Bonser, Liriano and Nathan deal jumps at me as one of the better trades of the last decade. Of course, it looked a lot better while Liriano was healthy.

Would the Red Sox signing of David Ortiz count? The guy was cut, no, by the Twins. Pedro has been involved in two trade heists....Sox get him for Pavano and Armas Jr.....Expos got him from LA forDelino DeShields.

Sox also got Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb in 1997, so that's just over a decade ago, sorry.

The Rangers got Michael Young from the Jays for Estaban Loaiza in 2000.

And let's not forget the Rays getting Kazmir from the Mets for Victor Zambrano. That might be your winner for the past decade.

And let's not forget the Rays getting Kazmir from the Mets for Victor Zambrano. That might be your winner for the past decade.

and who's brain child was that?

200px-Rick_Peterson.jpg

"i can fix victor zambrano in 10 minutes."

good riddance, rick peterson.

Wow, I had totally forgotten that the Twins got Carlos Gomez in that deal.

Go-Go Gomez as I like to call him. Wow. What a talented young kid. He has eaten us alive this year. If you remember he hit for the cycle earlier this year off of White Sox pitching.

"The fastest player in this league"

"A very good-looking young player"

"Reminds me of a young Rickey Henderson the way he can get into a pitcher's mind when he's standing on first base ready to steal second."

The above are all things that my dad Hawk Harrelson has said in description of Carlos Gomez this year.

I love working in sports.

We just had a 15 minute discussion about this very topic, thanks to yours truly. :)

Someone mentioned the Bartolo Colon deal that brought the Tribe Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee and Grady Seizmore. The Randy Johnson for Carlos Guillen and Freddy Garcia trade was also tossed out there.

The best part of the Colon deal was the pile of crap the Expos got in return when they turned around and traded him to Chicago.

Wasn't Johan Santana a rule 5 pickup by the Twins back in the day? I think he was...

Oh and speaking of buy-low FA signings like David Ortiz, the Carlos Pena signing's worked out pretty well for Tampa hasn't it?

If we want to reach a bit further back, we could throw in the Jeff Bagwell Larry Andersen deal just to show that the red sox front office hasn't always made good deals. :wink:

I know we were talking about more recent trades...but the one that people around my neck of the woods always talk about is when the Cubs traded Lou Brock to the Cards for Ernie Broglio.

Cubbies fans are still sore about that one. :drool:

I don't see Manuel being the Mets' skipper for 2009. I'm pretty sad to see Willie go. If they couldn't win with Willie, than they ain't winning with Manuel.

Soooo... after having 3/4 of our starting infield on the DL for about a month, as of today we're virtually at full strength again. This is a very rare thing for the Angels.

Now Kendrick needs to find his swing, then we will be tough to beat.

Of course, I'm expecting that within two weeks Figgins will get nailed on the wrist by a fastball, breaking it, and Casey Kotchman will come down with Chicken Pox or Scurvy, but until that happens, I'm going to enjoy watching this team.

Chicken Pox or Scurvy, but until that happens, I'm going to enjoy watching this team.

Unlikely to either, especially the Scurvy since only the most restrictive diets lack enough vitamin c to result in the decreased collagen hydoxylayion seen with the disease. (sorry I'm taking my boards on friday and have been studying for 5 weeks :nerd: :crack:)

Bonus nerd trivia: British sailors are called limeys because they used limes for their vitamin c source. Germans are called Krauts because they used sauerkraut to their vitamin c.

Ok I'm done now.

Oh, this is too funny. Some Mets corporate season holders sent frozen chickens to Mets owner Fred Wilpon in protest of the chicken(shit) way the Mets dumped Randolph. Plus, these same fans also returned their tickets for the remainder of the season.

Good for them. Willie deserved better.

Omar's next if this mess continues.

The chicken thing is funny but returning the tickets is stupid IMO

The Sox seem to be rolling along but I'm very concerned about the bullpen situation...Okajima has regressed and as it stands they really don't have a trustworthy guy to pitch the 8th inning in a close game. They're trying to make it Delcarmen it seems...we'll see how that goes I guess.

the returning of season tickets a few months before the opening of a new stadium is retarded.

shit... it was handled poorly, but it's not the end of the world. gimmie a break. met fans nausiate me sometimes... so let's get this straight - sunday you wanted the guy fired; tuesday now you all of a sudden don't want to be a met fan anymore because you don't like how they fired him?

good riddance.

The Sox seem to be rolling along but I'm very concerned about the bullpen situation...Okajima has regressed and as it stands they really don't have a trustworthy guy to pitch the 8th inning in a close game. They're trying to make it Delcarmen it seems...we'll see how that goes I guess.

The Sox sure do love interleague.

I think Okajima will be ok in the long run; he's just going through a tough stretch at the moment.

Delcarmen has looked good the last few times out, so hopefully that's a good sign.

With all of the injuries, you really can't ask for a better record right now. It pays to have depth on a team and a farm system stocked with pitching.

The pitching depth is really saving them, that and JD Drew catching on fire with Papi out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom