The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some of the coaches... rick peterson included... should have already been fired. omar's indecisiveness in this issue just leaves a black cloud over the team that is a huge distraction.

they either need to fire him now or not just announce he's safe for the season, but give him a one year extension, i.e. what the giants did with tom coughlin, just so the players don't think he's a lame duck.

he will be in the boot for a minimum of 6 weeks. so if all goes perfectly, he'll be able to begin rehab by the start of august... a rehab that is likely to take at least 2-4 weeks before they'd try him in the majors... moving any chance of his return to late august/early september.

any sort of setback at all and he'll be out for the season. so yea... he's likely thrown his last pitch in the old yankee stadium.

Christ. Hank Steinbrenner went off on the National League for not having a DH. This fuck is gonna be the worst thing to happen to the Yanks in ages. What a reactionary and immature buffoon he is.

A chip off the old block.

I suppose. It just drives me nuts that teams like your Sox have fairly classy ownership, and we're saddled with this abomination. Hank is such an easy target for the media and opposing fans. George at least limited his stupid outbursts to a bare minimum the past few years, be it due to health reasons or not. Hank says something stupid at least once a month.

I hope Hal poisons him and takes over.

Bavasi is out of Seattle. They really needed to fire McLaren, though.

... and we lost again tonight! Brav-O, fellas.

You know it's bad when you go to a game, and at the end of the first inning, it's tied 1-1. All right! You leave your seat to go buy the famed Ichi-roll at the sushi stand.

When you get back to your seat, it's 7-1 Nationals, thanks to a useless pitcher who loaded the bases multiple times and walked in a few runs to boot. And it's not even the middle of the 2nd yet.

Uh ... wait til next year! : shakes fist weakly : Sigh.

I suppose. It just drives me nuts that teams like your Sox have fairly classy ownership, and we're saddled with this abomination. Hank is such an easy target for the media and opposing fans. George at least limited his stupid outbursts to a bare minimum the past few years, be it due to health reasons or not. Hank says something stupid at least once a month.

I hope Hal poisons him and takes over.

Who's to say Shallow Hal would be any better than Mr. Hankey?

only the mets... ONLY the mets (well, okay and maybe the yankees in the 70s and 80s and probably now too with hanky poo in charge)... can do something that everyone knew was inevitable, that a majority of fans, media, and probably even players wanted to happen... something that needed to happen... and still fuck it up.

i wanted randolph fired, and i have no problem with manuel taking over on an interim basis. if he's successful, extend him. if he isn't, fire him and get a real candidate in the off-season... i.e. bring bobby V back from Japan... to open the new ballpark next spring.

but to have the guy fly all the way out to california, let him win the first game, and then fire him? what's the point? they should have never let him get on the plane.

apparently omar planned on doing the firing on the off day between the angels/rockies series's... perhaps he was spooked that they sent pelfrey out there against weaver, he gave up 6 runs and the mets won anyway and decided to can willie now rather than wait and watch the team get on a mini winning streak (much like the last time... they don't fire him, they go on a little run, only to inevitably fail again).

:shrug:

i'm glad he's fired, i'm super glad that peterson went with him... i just wish they would have done it in a classier manner.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Just kind of a chickenshit way to handle things. Hell it might have been wiser to can him last offseason after the collapse.

Good move by the M's canning Bavasi, though they did it about 2 years or so too late. Guy sucks. Just going into the season with Jose Vidro as Plan A at DH should have been grounds for immediate sacking. Hopefully somebody with a brain will get that job...I could see Cashman heading out there next season, God knows he's got to have had enough of Mr. Hanky.

It was pretty funny, John Kruk and his little buddies spent 10 minutes killing Hank for his NL DH comments, calling him an idiot etc...then went on to agree the leagues should play by the same rules.

jerry fucking manuel???

are you fucking serious???

yeah I know he's the just the "interim" but jesus christ...

I watched that fucker manage my team like a pussy for 6 fucking years. he's a nice guy, sure. pretty low key. but he brings fucking NOTHING to the table in terms of adding something to a team that needs it.

he sucks. hes a bitch. he sucks.

wow, the New York Mess really fucked it up this time. Why replace Willie with a goddam paper-thin baseball guy?

Nice upgrade Mets!

:yuck:

So tell us how you feel about Jerry Manuel :wink:

Yeah no DH, great idea. OK I'm gonna sound like whiney Hank here but bear with me. I'm watching the Sox/Phils on ESPN last night and Bartolo Colon comes up, not once but twice, with 2 on and 2 out. And the announcers are just busting a gut laughing at Colon hitting, just cracking up as if the Sox were sending up a little kid to hit or something. Mind you this is Major League Baseball. Yeah I'd SOO rather see that than Jim Thome hitting, or Paul Molitor, or Chili Davis. Pitchers hitting is a joke unless it's Micah Owings or Big Z or whoever. I'd rather have the DH.

But yeah, either way it should be the same in both leagues.

jerry fucking manuel???

are you fucking serious???

yeah I know he's the just the "interim" but jesus christ...

I watched that fucker manage my team like a pussy for 6 fucking years. he's a nice guy, sure. pretty low key. but he brings fucking NOTHING to the table in terms of adding something to a team that needs it.

he sucks. hes a bitch. he sucks.

wow, the New York Mess really fucked it up this time. Why replace Willie with a goddam paper-thin baseball guy?

Nice upgrade Mets!

:yuck:

... because it's an interim basis and if they can't hire the guy they want then they want to make sure it's someone who they can easily replace at season's end? :shrug:

if they gave manuel a long term deal, i'd be right with you... but it's on an interim basis. manuel is a laid back guy, so was willie. the players seem to like manuel, and in reality it's all on the players. the point of the firing was to mix things up... to send a message. who it is, for now, doesn't matter. sometimes a change for the sake of making a change is a good move.

if it doesn't work i full expect omar to go try and bring bobby valentine back home from japan in the off-season... if omar still has a job, that is.

sometimes a change for the sake of making a change is a good move.

I agree. Good point.

I just can't help but thinking that Manuel might be the wrong person to bring in at this moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the Mets to succeed out in the NL. I hope they face the Cubs in the first round of the playoffs and fucking sweep those fuckers.

I think that the Mets signing Santana this offseason was the best free-agent signing maybe of all-time and is a perfect fit for them. He is just one of my favorite pitchers and it's hard for me to root against a team that features a talent the likes of Johan Santana. He is one of the most remarkable pitchers I've ever witnessed. Flat out.

I think that the Mets signing Santana this offseason was the best free-agent signing maybe of all-time and is a perfect fit for them. He is just one of my favorite pitchers and it's hard for me to root against a team that features a talent the likes of Johan Santana. He is one of the most remarkable pitchers I've ever witnessed. Flat out.

You know, why don't we wait a few years and see just how great of a trade this turns out to be. I love Santana and all, but, it's a tad early to crown this as the best anything yet.

Also, he was not a free agent. He was traded for.

“My only message is simple,” Steinbrenner said in Tampa, Fla. “The National League needs to join the 21st century. They need to grow up and join the 21st century.”

Steinbrenner said he was angry and added: “I’ve got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He’s going to be out. I don’t like that, and it’s about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s.”

:giggle:

psst... someone should tell Hank it's from the 1970's and the great yankee teams of the 20's, 30's, 50's and 60's all played without the DH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom