The 2008 MLB Thread - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #691
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Maybe the O's guy would be less pissy if the O's could muster up a .500 record one of these seasons. Oh, and it would please him if the owner was not incompetent at running a baseball team. The allure of Camen Yards only gets you so far....after a while, if you don't put a competitive team on the field, seats go unclaimed, and of course Sox and Yankee fans are going to gobble those tickets up and make the relatively short trip down 95 to Camden. Manny is a hitting savant and not quite as bad a fielder as he's made out to be. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and the best hitter I've ever seen in my life.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #692
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post

It bugs me when the O's (and Rays) people complain about this. I bet ownership doesn't mind taking Sox and Yankees fans' money when they buy tickets.
A few teams have "smartened up" to the whole "Red Sox Nation" thing. Cincy is a good example. The Sox will play three games in Cincy mid-June. The only way to get tickets (well, besides being related to Youkilis) is to purchase a four game (or more) package. We ended up buying a 13 game package, and that allowed us to purchase additional tickets to the Red Sox games. My extras will go to in-laws (A.K.A. - Red Sox Nationals).

Speaking of the 13 games, nice game a GABP today. I hope Jay Bruce lives up to the hype. He has so far.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #693
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

^ That what the White Sock do as well. Cub/Sock tickets are not available as single game sales. You have to buy a package to get them.

Oh yeah, Ozzie threw Kenny Williams and Greg Walker (hitting coach) under the bus today with his post game comments.

My Sock can't get a clutch hit to save their lives.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps they should swing these instead of bats:

Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #695
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
I love Ozzie Guillen
Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #696
Blue Crack Distributor

i've grown tired of ozzie guillen's act.

as for manny... anyone who thinks the guy's not a first ballot lock hall of famer is nuts. the man is an absolute beast. is the best RBI guy any of us have ever seen (except for zoney who saw babe ruth in his prime)... and david ortiz would be a nice player without manny hitting behind him.

sure, his fielding isn't great. but he's still out there, ain't he? in a time when guys can be all stars without ever taking the field (like the guy who bats in front of him) you can't really hate on a guy who goes out there night in and night out.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

Manny being Manny
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #698
Blue Crack Addict

Ozzie rocks. A breath of fresh air in major league baseball.

The scary thing about our White Sox is that we haven't even BEGUN to swing the bats...

And we're still in first place.

When Konerko, Thome, and Swisher get locked in....

LOOK OUT!

(We also have two of the most naturally gifted young ballplayers we've had in a while in Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin.)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #699
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Ozzie rocks. A breath of fresh air in major league baseball.
Maybe his first season or two, but definitely not now. His act has grown pretty stale. It seems like he's always blowing up over something.

I'll take a Sweet Lou tirade over ozzie's anyday of the week.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #700
Blue Crack Distributor

thome is old and swisher is swisher.

and i don't know about a breath of fresh air... perhaps a breath of halitosis.

his act is nausiating... but i suppose i could see how he could fall into the "you'd love him if he were on your side" category.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #701
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
Maybe his first season or two, but definitely not now. His act has grown pretty stale. It seems like he's always blowing up over something.

I'll take a Sweet Lou tirade over ozzie's anyday of the week.
if pinella managed the mets they'd have a 2007 nl east championship banner hanging (er painted on a wall?) next to the 2006 one, and perhaps a world series one, too.

and that's not a shot at willie... i just think pinella is the best manager in all of baseball.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #702
Blue Crack Distributor

this is about the 9 millionth time i've watched the story of the '86 mets on SNY and even though i was 5 going on 6 at the time it happened, i still get the goosebumps every single time.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #703
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

David Ortiz out for a month, possibly the season.

Not good times. Bad times.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #704
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
as for manny... anyone who thinks the guy's not a first ballot lock hall of famer is nuts. the man is an absolute beast. is the best RBI guy any of us have ever seen (except for zoney who saw babe ruth in his prime)... and david ortiz would be a nice player without manny hitting behind him.

sure, his fielding isn't great. but he's still out there, ain't he? in a time when guys can be all stars without ever taking the field (like the guy who bats in front of him) you can't really hate on a guy who goes out there night in and night out.
I saw a graphic where Manny has the 4th highest lifetime average among the 500 HR club...behind Ruth, Foxx, and Teddy. Not to mention the RBIs. And you're right about the defense...if he literally couldn't play in the field then Ortiz would have to, and I'm not sure his body could take it. Manny at least gets out there, and he's probably better than he's given credit for (not that that's saying much, but he is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
David Ortiz out for a month, possibly the season.

Not good times. Bad times.
If it's only a month, and he heals up fine, then I think they're just fine. They get a chance to DH Manny some and rest those troublesome hammies, they get a very good defensive OF with Manny at DH, and they also have a chance to get some other guys a blow by using them at DH (Lowell, Youk). My worry is, it's a wrist, and they can linger. Guys can have trouble healing and retaining their power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
this is about the 9 millionth time i've watched the story of the '86 mets on SNY and even though i was 5 going on 6 at the time it happened, i still get the goosebumps every single time.
I've seen it a few times. That was really a classic series but the Sox throwing up all over themselves kinda overshadows everything else. I was 15 at the time and I was really too young to have really understood how bad '78 was, so my first dose of Sox misery was that series. So basically, it's game 6, 10th inning, Sox up 5-3 and I'm like Bambi prancing through the woods before Mom gets shot. I'm sitting there like "ooh the Sox are going to win the WS, ooh ooh ooh" and then the hits are coming and I'm like "what the hell" and then the wild pitch, and Mookie's grounder, and presto I'm Bambi after Mom gets shot. Ugh.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #705
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I'm Bambi after Mom gets shot. Ugh.
I think the scene looked something like this:

At least you had your friend the skunk with you!

Tags
baseball, major league baseball, mlb