The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that commiserating with a Cubs fan was blasphemy? [/B]

WildHoneyAlways said:

Hey, if both teams are bad it's all good. :D

And if we're both U2 fans...that makes it ok too right?

Wood looked just as good as Gagne yesterday in the closer position.

I forget the name of the Brewers fan, but here's the thing with the Brew Crew. Sheets will get hurt, Suppan isn't that good, Vargas and Bush both 5+ ERA's. And then Villenueva...we don't know.

Watch, the friggin Astros will win the division. Or worse, the Cardinals. :barf:

Johan's start was pretty darn good yesterday at 7 innings and 2 runs allowed. Bedard for us Seattle fans had really poor command yesterday and still went 5 innings and only gave up one run. :up: Two lefty aces with new teams having above average-to-good starts.

zonelistener said:

Let's not forget he was also going up against the Marlins. He will do well for the Mets, but the Marlins aren't the greatest of teams.

I think the Marlins were 6th/16 in the NL in runs scored last year. Not as powerful as the Phillies, but nothing to sneeze at, either.

Anywho, the batters are always ahead of the pitchers this early in the year. Unless it's the pitchers who are ahead of the batters.

speedracer said:

I think the Marlins were 6th/16 in the NL in runs scored last year. Not as powerful as the Phillies, but nothing to sneeze at, either.
But they did have one Miguel Cabrera last year, and he is no longer in South Florida hanging by the pool with Morris Wanchuk.

moe.jpg

Got Philk? said:

And if we're both U2 fans...that makes it ok too right?

Wood looked just as good as Gagne yesterday in the closer position.

I forget the name of the Brewers fan, but here's the thing with the Brew Crew. Sheets will get hurt, Suppan isn't that good, Vargas and Bush both 5+ ERA's. And then Villenueva...we don't know.

Watch, the friggin Astros will win the division. Or worse, the Cardinals. :barf:

We released Vargas, Bush had the worst year of his career last year so he should bounce back a bit, Villanueva has been dominant in the few starts that he's had, Parra should be good, Gallardo should be great...but yeah, Suppan's Suppan and Sheets could get hurt at any time.

I don't know about the 'Stros or Cards, but the Reds might be a team to watch out for.

So how about the Tigers starting their season on a dominant note:wink:

AL East W L PCT GB
Boston 3 1 .750 0.5
New York 1 0 1.000 0.5
Tampa Bay 1 0 1.000 0.5
Toronto 0 0 .000 1.5
Baltimore 0 1 .000 1.5

AL Central W L PCT GB
Kansas City 2 0 1.000 ----
Cleveland 1 0 1.000 0.5
Minnesota 1 1 .500 1.0
Chicago 0 1 .000 1.5
Detroit 0 2 .000 2.0

AL West W L PCT GB
Los Angeles 1 1 .500 ----
Seattle 1 1 .500 ----
Texas 1 1 .500 ----
Oakland 1 3 .250 1.0

NL East W L PCT GB
Washington 3 0 1.000 ----
Florida 1 1 .500 1.5
New York 1 1 .500 1.5
Atlanta 0 2 .000 1.5
Philadelphia 0 2 .000 2.5

NL Central W L PCT GB
Milwaukee 2 0 1.000 ----
Pittsburgh 1 0 1.000 ----
Cincinnati 0 1 .000 1.5
St. Louis 0 1 .000 1.5
Chicago 0 2 .000 2.0
Houston 0 2 .000 2.0

NL West W L PCT GB
Los Angeles 2 0 1.000 ----
San Diego 2 0 1.000 ----
Arizona 1 0 1.000 0.5
Colorado 1 0 1.000 0.5
San Francisco 0 2 .000 2.0

Last edited:
You know what's hard though. I was born in Wisconsin and lived there for 14 years. Then, the Brewers were a crappy team in the AL.

As a kid, I could root for the then crappy Cubs and Brewers and not have any problems. Then they moved to the NL in like 1998 right? It shook my baseball world.

So far:

Seattle starting pitchers in 3 games: 19 innings, 3 runs allowed, 2 earned runs allowed.

The bad news:

JJ Putz, the best closer in baseball, is injured. :(

the tourist said:
JJ Putz, the best closer in baseball

but can he dance like Paps?

How long is Putz supposed to be out for? All ESPN had was DL (rib). Look at it this way, at least you're not the Angels with 2 starters out.

Wow, the Nats are 3-0...good for them.

And Pedro hurt again :down: Seeing him like this is worse than MJ on the Wizards...I almost wish he'd retire because watching PEDRO MARTINEZ morph into pedro martinez is depressing.

CTU2fan said:
And Pedro hurt again :down: Seeing him like this is worse than MJ on the Wizards...I almost wish he'd retire because watching PEDRO MARTINEZ morph into pedro martinez is depressing.

i'm not one of those jump off the cliff met fans who's ready to call it a season because of a freak hamstring injury and one bad pitch from matt wise.

in the long term it might end up working out ot the mets advantage... pedro may be fresher come september with a month and a half off now. if it was an arm injury i'd obviously be much more concearned.

Hewson said:
I'm gonna have to give you a "not so much" on that one.
Putz is probably about the 4th best closer in the AL behind Rivera, Papelbon and Nathan

Hmm I know he's only been at it for a short time but I'd take Puts over Nathan right now. He might even be better than Rivera right now but I'd have to see him in the postseason before I'd put him ahead.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'm not one of those jump off the cliff met fans who's ready to call it a season because of a freak hamstring injury and one bad pitch from matt wise.

in the long term it might end up working out ot the mets advantage... pedro may be fresher come september with a month and a half off now. if it was an arm injury i'd obviously be much more concearned.

Could be. In that scenario you'd probably be better off if he had the hammy problem later on, June or July. Any word on what the Mets are planning to do here? Will it be Figueroa or a veteran FA like Vargas or somebody like that?

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
yea we really don't need to post the standings... that's what espn.com is for.

Oh ok just thought it would be convenient so you wouldn't have to go to mlb.com or espn.com

CTU2fan said:
Could be. In that scenario you'd probably be better off if he had the hammy problem later on, June or July. Any word on what the Mets are planning to do here? Will it be Figueroa or a veteran FA like Vargas or somebody like that?

nah better earlier... they can linger sometimes, so if it had happened in july it may linger into september and further.

figueroa was called up... looks like they're going to push olly perez up a game to start next tuesday. i just only hope they don't push everyone up as well, which would mean that santana's first game at shea will be on next friday night, instead of the previously planned next saturday afternoon (a game which i have tickets for).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom