The 2008 MLB Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #271
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:10 AM
frankly the red sox have been hitting yankees for the entire course of the joe torre era with little to no retaliation, so it's about time the yanks did something... not cool throwing at a guy's head and all, but yea... hit someone in the tookus

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #273
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
frankly the red sox have been hitting yankees for the entire course of the joe torre era with little to no retaliation, so it's about time the yanks did something... not cool throwing at a guy's head and all, but yea... hit someone in the tookus
I thought that was gonna end badly Farnsworth
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Is there any particular reason as to why Yankees-Sox games go so long? Nine-inning games were pushing five and a half hours near the end of last season, and it seems that when NYY and Boston play it goes particularly long.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Two of the most patient teams in the league. They make pitchers throw a lot.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #276
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:10 PM
It's always an epic battle between these two.
Yeah the games do go long sometimes and get boring but its always interesting watching these two go at it.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Two of the most patient teams in the league. They make pitchers throw a lot.
Makes sense, but that doesn't really equate to why Yanks-Sawks games go nearly double the length of, say, Mets-Phillies games. One of the many mysteries of baseball, I guess.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

A lot of their games are on ESPN, which tend to have longer commercial breaks. That may play a part at times...

They certainly do drag on, though. It's too early in the season for these types of games.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
I think that's true to a point. Certainly Pedro drilled his share of guys (generally below the neck though). There was a big disparity in hit batsmen between them for a few years because of that, and also because of Wakefield and guys being willing to take a HBP from a knuckler. But it seems to be evening out somewhat now; Joba and Proctor last year and now this. I don't have a problem with somebody drilling Manny in the ass, I mean, he's just been killing the Yankees for 2+ years now, but above the shoulders is inexcusable. I was listening on XM last night so I got Sterling and Suzyn, and even they were killing Farnsworth for that.

My guess is we'll see more of that type of behavior with Girardi managing than we did under Torre...I don't think the spring training shenanigans with the Rays happen if Torre's running the show, and Torre didn't endorse the Proctor headhunting last year either.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #280
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Makes sense, but that doesn't really equate to why Yanks-Sawks games go nearly double the length of, say, Mets-Phillies games. One of the many mysteries of baseball, I guess.
national league games will always be shorter because of the lack of a DH. NL teams usually have more balanced offenses and better pitching, while AL teams usually have slugfest teams where the #8 hitter could have 90 RBIs.

i much prefer the NL game. there's much more strategy involved. the idea of the "productive out" is all but non existant in the AL. they don't sacrafice as much, hit and run as much, you never have to decide wether to pitch to the 8 hitter or walk him to force the other manager to make a decision on wether to keep the pitcher in or not... ya just sorta go up there and beat the shit out of the ball.

i will give the red sox credit for one thing... even though they don't show it normaly against the yankees, if any team has a balanced, NL style attack in the AL it's boston. speed at the top of the lineup, power in the middle, speed again at the bottom. they really only have two true homerun hitters, so they tend to have little issue playing the NL style come world series time.

too many sluggers come playoff time and you end up like, well, the yankees.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #281
is dead

Local Time: 09:10 PM
The Angels play much more of a NL style of ball than the Sox. The productive out is a huge part of the halos' game and they were best in the league at going first to third last year. They're aggressive as hell on the basepaths.

I will say the Sox do seem to have more patient hitters than most teams. They wait for their pitch and don't do too much first-pitch swinging.

NL ball is boring ball. If pitchers are going to bat then they should be taking BP every single day with the positional players. I don't think they do. Most pitchers look so feeble at the plate. It's a joke.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #282
Blue Crack Distributor

okay the angels suck and so does john lackey.

but hey, if you find a 5 to 6 hour game less boring than a well pitched, well played 3 hour or less game then, well, more power to ya.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #283
Blue Crack Distributor

tim mccarver just said that charlie manuel is underestimated the same way that the generals of the south in the civil war like robert e. lee and stonewall jackson were underestimated.

bet that one will go over well.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

but hey, if you find a 5 to 6 hour game less boring than a well pitched, well played 3 hour or less game then, well, more power to ya.
It'll get even better this year, since the AL shipped two of its top 5 pitchers (Johan Santana and Dan Haren) over to the NL and a third one (CC Sabathia) is currently sucking donkey balls.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Manny Ramirez is a bad, bad man.

Tags
baseball, major league baseball, mlb