The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTU2fan said:
Oh and Wagner also gets kudos for the hat choice post-game...

Why would he? The Pats LOST the Super Bowl this year.

Wagner should also probably keep his comments a little more reserved.

Pop quiz:

Who is in first place in the American League Central on the morning of May the 18th?

First one to answer correctly gets to keep their life.

When the 3B umpire correctly calls a ball that hits the LF foul pole a HR, and the home plate umpire incorrectly overrules him, isn't it kind of the manager's job to argue the call and get himself ejected?

Alright, you guys all failed my Pop Quiz.

speedracer gets an F, no spoken words gets an F, but headache you get an F + because your response was the funniest.

speedracer said:
When the 3B umpire correctly calls a ball that hits the LF foul pole a HR, and the home plate umpire incorrectly overrules him, isn't it kind of the manager's job to argue the call and get himself ejected?

he did argue a bit more than he normaly does, and i believe bench coach jerry manuel was ejected. :shrug:

ahh the mets.. they've done very well in every big series they've had thus far... they won 2 of 3 against the phillies twice, the diamondbacks on the road, and 2 of 2 from the yankees in the bronx.

yet they lose 4 of 7 to the reds and nationals on the previous road trip, after losing 2 of 3 to the dodgers in LA.

they've certainly played with more emotion over the past two games, after the randolph closed door metting and all... but they need to get on a bit of a roll here and not suck it up agains the shit teams so much if willie really wants to save his job going forward.

Speaking as a level-headed Yankee fan with no sense of entitlement, I cannot complain if/when they miss the playoffs this season. Making the post-season every year since 1995 is way more than any fan has a right to expect, let alone tossing in 4 WS titles and tons of amazing memories. So, what worries me is not missing the playoffs, it's Hank and his delusion that he has to be just like Dad to get things done. So far, it's just talk, but, I am afraid that he'll do something rash sooner than later. What do you gain by publicly questioning your GM, or by challenging a fairly veteran team to "play hard"? What a fucking buffoon. NYC deserves better than Jimmy Dolan and Hank running 3 of the most recognizable teams in sports.

No spoken words said:
Speaking as a level-headed Yankee fan with no sense of entitlement, I cannot complain if/when they miss the playoffs this season. Making the post-season every year since 1995 is way more than any fan has a right to expect, let alone tossing in 4 WS titles and tons of amazing memories. So, what worries me is not missing the playoffs, it's Hank and his delusion that he has to be just like Dad to get things done. So far, it's just talk, but, I am afraid that he'll do something rash sooner than later. What do you gain by publicly questioning your GM, or by challenging a fairly veteran team to "play hard"? What a fucking buffoon. NYC deserves better than Jimmy Dolan and Hank running 3 of the most recognizable teams in sports.

the best thing that could have happened to the yankees was for the steinbrenner brothers to not be interested in dad's team, which was rumored to be the case for a while. cashman's trying to do the right thing... build for the future... but you can just see hank getting pissed, firing cashman, trading away the farm for some over-priced veteran past his prime, the yanks making a late season run to make the playoffs, only to be bounced in the first round yet again.

and there's no doubt that they'll make a huge run at c.c. sabathia in the offseason... 'cause honestly, what could go wrong with a pitcher who's 50+ pounds over-weight?

you don't think they would be... but if you look at the starting lineup from, say, saturday's game...

1. Johnny Damon lf .257
2. Bobby Abreu rf .288
3. Derrick Jeter ss .314
4. Hideki Matsui dh .306
5. Jason Giambi 1b .193
6. Robinson Cano 2b .208
7. Melky Cabrera cf .262
8. Alberto Gonzalez 3b .257
9.Chad Moeller c .243

you've got a slow lead off hitter with the arm strength of jim abbot's other arm, a right fielder who's a dog and avoids outfield walls like the plague, a right side of the infield that can't hit their way out of paper bag, one 'cause of no juice, the other 'cause of, well, who knows why... two catchers with a combined 7 RBI's, a third baseman who splits time between the bronx and the attorney general's office, and the resurection of Generation K... two "ace" young picthers who you couldn't trade for Johan who have a combined 0-8 record with an ERA higher c.c. sabathia's weight...

yea... they really are this bad. heck their best hitter, a natural leadoff or 2 hitter, is forced to bat third because, well, who the hell else are ya gonna put there?

now of course when a-rod and posada get back the offense, you'd assume, will improve... but that pitching staff is still brutal. kennedy and phillips have been terrible, you can only guess how long mussina's new found ability to pitch will last, ape tit's ben awful his past 4 outings, and chien-ming will certainly rack up the wins, but as with any sinker ball pitcher, when the sinker don't sink, you get what happened last night.

there are mucho problemos in the bronx. still too early to declare it a repeat of 1965, but all signs point to the final october of the house that no no nanette built being a silent one.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

the best thing that could have happened to the yankees was for the steinbrenner brothers to not be interested in dad's team, which was rumored to be the case for a while. cashman's trying to do the right thing... build for the future... but you can just see hank getting pissed, firing cashman, trading away the farm for some over-priced veteran past his prime, the yanks making a late season run to make the playoffs, only to be bounced in the first round yet again.

and there's no doubt that they'll make a huge run at c.c. sabathia in the offseason... 'cause honestly, what could go wrong with a pitcher who's 50+ pounds over-weight?

Completely agree. What a fucking nightmare.

Since we're all watching the New Orleans-San Antonio deathmatch, everyone feel free to ignore the Red Sox-Royals game currently going on.

I had no idea about the no-hitter being in progress and happened to flip to ESPN to see the Cubs score, but they had cut into the Sox game and I got there just as he threw the last pitch of the game. Timing is everything. 4 no hitters for the Sox in the past few years. Congrats to Lester, great story.

4 no hitters for Varitek, I'm thinking that might be a record? I was actually watching the House season finale and turned on XM after House to see how the Sox were doing. Being the Sox I figured if I tuned in 3 hours after first pitch I could catch the last 2 innings :) Well I see the ticker, and the first thing I see is:

KC 0 @ Bos 7

And I'm like "yes!" Then I look down to:

FNL NO HITTER

And start dancing around like a fool. Nice job by Lester.

CTU2fan said:
4 no hitters for Varitek, I'm thinking that might be a record?

Yeah, Varitek's 4 caught no-no's are the all-time baseball record.

As confirmed by the cocksuckers on Sportscenter.

Yeah, so a couple of weeks ago the sales rep from one of my suppliers comes in the office...they have lots of nice Sox tix, including front row seats in the newer "dugout seat" area by first base and as of last year State Street pavilion seats and some other good box seats...so he says he has seats available for the 19th, do I want them? I say sure...he says its not the front row, its the pavilion...so I say sure...so the next day he calls and says oops, I had the wrong date its the 21st...so yeah I have a pair of nice State Street pavilon tix for tomorrow night to see Bartlolo Colon...but if he was right about the date, I'd have witnessed a no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom