The 2007 NHL Playoffs thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ladywithspinninghead said:

Anyway, I'll quit in case this devolves into a Sens vs Leafs thread...but I'll take it up with you again in the fall :yes:

Deal. Truce :hi5:

I'll bask in the glory of the Sens loss for now, and go back to utter despair in October. :sexywink:

:down:

I'm gonna watch the game on the Sens Mile but I'm sure the atmosphere won't be as carnival-like as it was Saturday and Monday...will probably be gloomy....:sad:

img0663wv4.jpg

LOL

I hope that paint comes off. (On a sidenote, Ottawa is absolutely beautiful. :drool: I want to move here.)

GibsonGirl said:
(On a sidenote, Ottawa is absolutely beautiful. :drool: I want to move here.)

2 weeks in July at Bluesfest including Canada Day in our capital. I can't wait.

Final score tonight

errrrrr, 4-1, Anaheim and Chris Neil knocks himself out against the boards after missing a check.

On a side note again, GG and AOD, we should meet up later this summer. A Newfie interference gathering. I am coming home after a long hiatus on the mainland to return to school to get a real job someday. I am moving to St. John's, of course. I start driving tomorrow and won't make it home until late July. Just in time for the George Street Festival and Regatta Day.

Last edited:
:lol: at pic! So, did you honk Gibson Girl?
Maybe you will after being seated so close to the concert tonight!!! :wink:

I think Ottawa will win tonight if only because they'll be motivated to deprive Anaheim of winning in their arena...

Glad you all like Ottawa - it IS beautiful! :yes:
Surely, THAT's reason enough to cheer for the team? :wink:

Trevster - which shows you taking in at Bluesfest? I still haven't decided if I will or not..most likely not...even though it's one of their best lineups in years!

Last edited:
I have a feeling the Ducks are gonna win it tonight.

I'm pretty ambivalent - I don't particularly care about either team at this point.

However, since I am going to be somewhat related to the Neidermayers later this summer (a relative of mine is marrying Rob), maybe I should root for them tonight?! :wink: :lol:

GibsonGirl said:
I hope that paint comes off. (On a sidenote, Ottawa is absolutely beautiful. :drool: I want to move here.) [/B]

It was 24 degrees and sunny here today! Just thought I'd mention that :wink: Have a wonderful trip :up:

GO! SEN GO! Looks like an "S" has already come off :sad:

trevster2k said:

Final score tonight

errrrrr, 4-1, Anaheim and Chris Neil knocks himself out against the boards after missing a check.

Yes, that could very well happen :wink: Ottawa has a chance, if Alfredsson can fire the puck at the net instead of opposing defensemen. I wonder if we'll see a total revamp of the lines?

As for getting together, I'd be for that. I'll actually be seeing GG at the White Stripes concert next month...drive a little faster, Trev, and make it to the show!

ThoraSEB said:

However, since I am going to be somewhat related to the Neidermayers later this summer (a relative of mine is marrying Rob), maybe I should root for them tonight?! :wink: :lol:

Yes, you really don't want to shoot yourself in the foot :wink:

Talk about a sweet deal. Yashin nets almost $18 million in a lump sum payment and is free to sign with any of the other teams(note to Bob Gainey: Please resist any temptation you may have of signing this guy. Thanks!)

Islanders buy out Yashin's contract

Associated Press
6/6/2007 8:56:54 AM
NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Islanders are buying out the remaining four years on Alexei Yashin's 10-year contract in the first step of an off-season overhaul they hope will include re-signing Jason Blake and Ryan Smyth.

"It's going to make the team have a different look," coach Ted Nolan said of Yashin's departure in a conference call Wednesday. "Hopefully, we can work something out with (Blake and Smyth). We're trying to assemble a cohesive group here."

Yashin finished with 119 goals and 171 assists in 346 games with the Islanders, but struggled the past two seasons. He had 18 goals and 32 assists this season, when he missed 24 games with a sprained right knee. He was scoreless in the Islanders' five-game first-round playoff loss to the Buffalo Sabres.

"Unfortunately he got hurt and couldn't get back to where he was before. .. He couldn't get it going," Nolan said. "It'll be a nice fresh start for him and now we have to find someone to replace him."

"We'd love to have Ryan back," Nolan said. "We're going to do everything we can to keep him."

Smyth, who was acquired in a trade-deadline deal, and Blake can become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

Yashin came to the Islanders in a trade after the 2000-01 season. New York signed him to a 10-year contract worth US$87.5 million. The four years left on the deal are worth $26.45 million. The Islanders can buy Yashin out by paying two-thirds of the remaining amount ($17.63 million) over the next eight years for a salary-cap hit of about $2.2 million per season.

Snow said the Islanders' decision was based on discussions among team officials and that Yashin was disappointed when he learned of the buyout Tuesday.

"From my time knowing Alexei as a teammate and as a general manager, I have learned that Alexei is nothing but a first-class individual," said Snow, who played with Yashin for four seasons before becoming the Islanders GM. "With him on the team, the Islanders made the playoffs four out of the last five seasons and I believe that we would not have been able to do that without him."

Yashin had his best season with the Islanders in 2001-02 when he had 32 goals and 43 assists in 78 games.

"I believe this is in the best interests of the team and player. .. " Nolan said. "Alexei will have the opportunity to pursue a fresh start and we'll look at options to fill his position."

Trevster - which shows you taking in at Bluesfest? I still haven't decided if I will or not..most likely not...even though it's one of their best lineups in years!

I will be there every night for certain. Which acts in particular? I don't know yet.

post by AOD As for getting together, I'd be for that. I'll actually be seeing GG at the White Stripes concert next month...drive a little faster, Trev, and make it to the show!

I will be seeing them in Ottawa!!

Last edited:
The Islanders management team are idiots. They are messing up the cost structure of the NHL like the Blues did years ago when they gave Joe Murphy $4 million.

Well, let's see how the Sens respond to a late 1st period goal and being down 2-0 on the road facing elimination. Will the come out with determination and zeal and fight like a team that wants to be a champion? Will they show character and fight until the end? Or will they mope around the ice for two periods like a dejected defeated team with no spirit?

Let's see what happens.:hyper:

The team might lack some spirit but the city doesn't!
I just got back from City Hall where 5,000 people kept screaming "Alfie! Alfie! Alfie!" so I guess there's a corner of the country that still likes him. :wink:

Despite them being on the brink of elimination, there's still quite the party-atmosphere downtown (I only returned home because I had to go the washroom :reject: )

Souray :drool:
How I would love for him to return to Montreal but rumour is he wants to move to California to be close to his child and wife...RDS reported he was offered something like $4 million over 4 years which is peanuts after the year he had (even if he's not a very good defenceman)

Well, I'm so very happy for the 4 or 500 people in Anaheim who actually care about hockey. And the other 50 who actually know who Anaheim is playing :rolleyes:

That's what irks me so - not that the Cup isn't returning to Canada but that the Cup is going to a place where people could not care less about the sport.Even if I hated the Sens, I could never want to see the Cup in a market where people shun a sport I love so much.
It's not about love for my country, it's about love for the sport.

It's three times now that these southern states win and it's been proven now that winning the Cup won't make the sport more popular in the U.S. Give up already Bettman!

How many people will show up for the Stanley Cup parade? Will it be around the parking lot again a la Tampa and Carolina?

/Rant over

Congratulations to a team who deserved it though. :up:

It'll be nice to see Selanne and Niedermayer with the Cup...

ThoraSEB said:
Anaheim definitely deserves to win tonight. They've been fantastic. :up:

Pretty mighty! The cup found its way to the team with the most heart and class :up:

I feel badly for Ottawa's fans, including the ones here...maybe next year they'll put it all together.

tradealfredssontradealfredssontradealfredsson :shh:

I'll admit, this is a lame excuse for posting a random image of the greatest athlete ever, but Anahiem's map to the Stanley Cup officially started here:

1432_Gretzky%5B1%5D.jpg

Wayne :heart:

I actually burst out crying when they showed the Sens after their loss. I surprised myself!

Wow, did the Sens play like CRAP in this series. Total and utter crap. I don't think Alfie should be traded but the likes of Spezza and Heatley don't step up when needed...

On the French channel (RDS), they showed Selanne crying on his Dad. Wow, that was emotional.

This time next year I'll be living in Toronto. Too bad I won't be able to experience this ever again.
:wink:

(repeat joke I know, but I couldn't resist!)

AngelorDevil - greatest athlete ever? Hmmm, I don't have my contacts in but that doesn't look like Mario Lemieux to me :sexywink:

Last edited:
This time next year I'll be living in Toronto. Too bad I won't be able to experience this ever again.
:wink:

(repeat joke I know, but I couldn't resist!)

:lol:

I was on the phone to my sister during the game tonight, and she was saying how she'd love to take me and our mom to a playoff final in Toronto. I asked her if this was some sort of ten-year plan :wink:

Selanne was so emotional, like you say...I think the image I saw was with his kid :sad:

AngelorDevil - greatest athlete ever? Hmmm, I don't have my contacts in but that doesn't look like Mario Lemieux to me :sexywink:

And I thought it was just the Ottawa players who didn't see straight :angry:

:lol: @ your entire post

Well, T.O. isn't that far from Montreal or Ottawa - surely that's what she meant? :wink:

Just read Alfie was the playoff leader with 14 goals. Don't think they'll be trading him any time soon. He didn't step up in the past but he was dynamite during their playoff run (despite his moronic shot on Niedermayer)

Congrats to the Ducks.:applaud:
They truly deserved the cup and so many great players on that team. Even one from the maritimes, so Lord Stanley should be returning up here quite a bit. I'm also really proud of JS Giguere. He was the goalie with our old AHL team and he led us to the Calder Cup. Great guy!

Ottawa really sucked tonight. Really sucked. I know I praised Alfie before in this thread but that slapshot thing he did in the previous game really ticked me off. He's the captain, a leader who is supposed to set an example. Well, so much for that. Send him packing!

Congrats to the Sens for choking once again!:yuck: :barf:

Well another NHL season is done and the Ducks are California's first Cup winner. I'm so glad they don't call them the Mighty Ducks anymore. See ya next year.

Anaheim is mighty indeed. A well deserved victory for a strong team.

The Sens were outclassed and outworked from the drop of the first puck. Interesting stat mentioned last night, the Ducks led games 1 and 2 for a total of 8 minutes. The Sens didn't have a calming influence on the ice nor on the bench to guide them through the toughest moments in the game. They just didn't respond in the critical moments while Anaheim overcame.

Alfredsson should give up the C because numbers aren't the sole criteria in determining success as a captain of an NHL team. Teemu Selanne said it best, it's how your weakest players on your team raise their game in key situations. Great leaders inspire others and achieve success as a team, not necessarily as individuals. Alfredsson fails in this regard. He is hardly as Muckler foolishly suggested "Messierlike".

See ya next playoffs, maybe. It was pretty dull this year compared to some years.:wink:

trevster2k said:

Alfredsson should give up the C because numbers aren't the sole criteria in determining success as a captain of an NHL team. Teemu Selanne said it best, it's how your weakest players on your team raise their game in key situations. Great leaders inspire others and achieve success as a team, not necessarily as individuals. Alfredsson fails in this regard. He is hardly as Muckler foolishly suggested "Messierlike".

You're right but if the city's opinion has any bearing on this then Alfie will be here for a looong time as Ottawa is quite taken with him (not in years past but definitely this year).

I don't think there will be any major restructuring with this team either as most people + media in Ottawa consider their season a successful one, despite their collapse in this latest series.

Back
Top Bottom