The 2007 FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope it rains. No offence but I'm so sick of boring races. If it's sunny then its gonna be either Massa/Daylight/Raikkonen/Daylight or vice versa.

COBL_04 said:
I hope it rains. No offence but I'm so sick of boring races. If it's sunny then its gonna be either Massa/Daylight/Raikkonen/Daylight or vice versa.

Yeah, it's incredible that we need to have rain, (or mostly an earthquake), to see a bit show races. But tell it Mr. Ecclestone, this man is ruining the whole game, he wants even more city circuits, such Paris, London and Singapur and who knows what else circulates in his head........... I mean, there's already Montecarlo, where neither a fly is able to overtake, and tracks like Imola or Indianapolis get cancelled........... :shrug:
Then all that Hermann Tilke's boring straight line circuits are completing the pain. They talk about increase the show and competition, but the things are getting in a complete opposite direction. You just have to wait the start and the pit stops, the rest is goodnight.
There are so many good drivers in F1, but somehow always the same win...............ok, as long as it is Ferrari :wink:

I've hated Mr Ecclestone and Mr Walker for some time. It was worse a few years ago when they were sleeping with Mr Todt and whoever the big guy is at Ferrari. Monte something.

Monte Carlo is terrible. But they don't care about the fans. The fans want races like two ago: when it pissed rain, seven cars went off track, a Spyker was leading.

But apparently we'd rather watch a game where the only spots that change are the irrevelant ones. :shrug:

COBL_04 said:
I've hated Mr Ecclestone and Mr Walker for some time. It was worse a few years ago when they were sleeping with Mr Todt and whoever the big guy is at Ferrari. Monte something.

Monte Carlo is terrible. But they don't care about the fans. The fans want races like two ago: when it pissed rain, seven cars went off track, a Spyker was leading.

But apparently we'd rather watch a game where the only spots that change are the irrevelant ones. :shrug:

You mean Luca di Montezemolo?
The whole FIA kissing Ferrari's ass bothered me too.

I do like Monaco just for the history of the track. I think one city race per year is enough 'though. Monaco is the only city race Formula 1 needs. Overtaking is practically impossible, I know. But Monaco used to have really exciting races too. But that was quite a while ago. Races in the rain even...

When there's rain there's action on the track. Everybody loves action. Ecclestone should know that and I think he does but he cares more about money, money and more money...

Personally I hope there will be rain in Belgium. I love that track and wet races there are the best! :love:

This year's McLaren really been superior than Ferrari, anyway, the whole spy story thing is heavy, too. If it's true, they must cancel McLaren for a season. Let's see on thursday what kind of new proves there are. I think this time Dennis got caught, Alonso had a strange face yesterday on the podium

Did any cars relevant to the finish actually overtake each other on the track? :( Sorry to be all downtrodden, especially given how close the championship is, but I just keep losing interest. V8's all the way

COBL_04 said:
Did any cars relevant to the finish actually overtake each other on the track? :( Sorry to be all downtrodden, especially given how close the championship is, but I just keep losing interest. V8's all the way

It seemed like Sato passed Yamamoto.....................:wink:

No, yesterday there were a couple of good overtakings, Trulli did, not forgetting Lewis on Kimi, that was a big one, even Kimi was sleeping, I guess.................... The car was by far slower, but he looked like zero reaction

I taped it like usual 'cause it's on at 5am but I found myself, which is ever increasing, fast forwarding the tape. The most exciting parts for me were Button's battles and the Lewis, Kimi overtake. Looking forward to Spa!

So who does everyone think, if it's down to only Alonso and Lewis, will win the Championship?

I don't see any other competitors. Ferrari breaks every race, they can't be continuos. Us remain the tears. I think that in the end Alonso will win the championship, Lewis will not stand the pressure and Fernando is used to it. Wow, if he wins it will be the first time that a driver wins having his whole entire team against! Adelante, Fernando!

Last edited:
According to the "Times", FIA has a dossier of 166 pages where McLaren is found guilty of spying. Let's see tomorrow what happens, looks like troubled waters for the ones in Woking

If McLaren is found guilty of spying and punished severely(banned or something) the drivers will be released from their contract. I know this for sure when it comes to Alonso(Fernando would go back to Renault) but I'm not too sure about Hamilton. I would feel sorry for him if this meant that he won't be racing F1 next season.

But I think that if McLaren is found guilty , the points in the constructor's championship will be taken away or something like that. I don't think they would be forced to skip an entire season.

You know, but there are a couple of aggravatings, Dennis always said the team knew nothing about, now it comes out that Alonso and De La Rosa were mailing with Mike Coughlan and Nigel Stepney to know the Ferrari's dates.................
If it's so, it's right they skip an entire season, which could be even this one, together with some minus points for next championship. Alonso will go back to Renault, this is meanwhile more than clear. Last night Briatore affirmed they're studying the deal. Hamilton,I think that in the end he will stay at McLaren, even if there would be a disqualify for next season, he would kinda race in some other cathegory, remaining in Mercedes's orbit, and then come back in F1. Alonso will go anyway....................at least I think.
Let's see what happens tomorrow

I think McLaren will just have it's Constructors' points stripped/deducted with no penalty to the drivers, which has already been alluded to. Perhaps also a hefty fine. This of course if they haven't been exonerated fully.

If the drivers did need a ride for next year then I could definitely see FA going to Renault but Lewis I haven't the foggiest. Williams?

Stewart slams FIA witch-hunt

Sir Jackie Stewart has accused motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, of conducting a witch-hunt against embattled McLaren boss Ron Dennis. Former three-times World Champion Stewart feels the way the FIA, in conjunction with Ferrari, have pursued this case does not look good for Formula One.

Even respected team boss Sir Frank Williams believes the FIA have embarked on their quest in this saga with "enormous tenacity".

Looking into the affair that has overshadowed the thrilling title race this season, Stewart explained: "The FIA have historically been very close to Ferrari, closer to them than anyone else.

"There are more Ferrari representatives on the World Council than anybody else, and it seems that some of the most powerful people in this sport are more aligned to Ferrari than anybody else.

"For whatever reason, and I'm not saying that there hasn't been wrongdoing, but the very fact that this information came out of Ferrari means their own security and integrity level has to be judged.

"Now the fact it was stolen of course is wrong. But to start witch-hunting and trying to implicate a team principal to a level that is currently going on, I think is negative to the sport."

I'm sad to say it, but Stewart is talking pure shit.
What does it mean it doesn't look good for F1? Wants he a sport were people swindle and remain unpunished? Does this look better? Then, once again, this whole story of FIA being close to Ferrari has become now very more than silly, it's enough. Ferrari got many times penalties, MonteCarlo, Hungary last year, or the Schumacher-Villeneuve trouble in Jerez in 1997, just for example.
Then, what means the security level of Ferrari has to be judged?! It was one of the closest and highest person (NIGEL STEPNEY) who revealed everything, how could Ferrari doubt of someone who has worked with them since 15 years?!?
There is no hunting at all, this makes me really laugh. Don't forget that in the first judgement McLaren was spoken not guilty! The whole thing came out again because ALONSO has admitted that he knew what happened! Is this a joke, or what? Is this not a reason enough?
Witch-hunting, oh, please. It would have been the same if it would have been the contrary.
I'm sorry, Mr. Stewart, you lost a chance to show a bit intelligence

Oh, another bit!
McLaren has exposed an indictment to FIA against Renault for who knows who what kind of irregularity. This is good for F1?
McLaren is climbing on mirrors, they better admit what they have done, instead of doing all these pointless weepings, right Mr. Ron Dennis?

Wow. $100 million is more than I expected. I was thinking maybe a much smaller fine and a loss of the constructors points.

McLaren fined, lose constructors title

TSN.ca Staff
9/13/2007 1:44:38 PM

McLaren have been banned from winning the 2007 Formula One constructors championship following a hearing before the World Motor Sport Council in Paris.

The team have been fined a record $100-million US and will have to present their 2008 car for inspection before the governing body prior to racing it next season.

However, both Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso were not penalized and will be able to continue fighting for the drivers championship this weekend in Belgium.

The ruling effectively hands Ferrari this year's constructors championship.

Asked if justice had been served, FIA president Max Mosley replied succinctly, "Yes".

Hamilton was among the members of the McLaren team who appeared before the council on Thursday, however, he reportedly was not asked to testify at the hearing. He left the meeting roughly three hours after it started, presumeably to get back to Belgium to begin preparations for this weekend's race.

Teammate Alonso was noticeably absent from the hearing, electing instead to attend a previously announced pre-race press conference in Belgium, where he was peppered with questions about the spy scandal.

"I am 100 percent concentrated in this paddock, in this track and winning this race," said Alonso, who refused to speculate about the outcome. "Other than that I will not have two seconds of thinking."

When asked why he didn't travel to Paris, as Hamilton did, the Spaniard replied: "No comment."

Former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn was in attendance for the Scuderia even though he is no longer a member of the team and is currently on a one year sabbatical.

Also present at the hearing as observers were representatives of Williams, Renault, Spyker and Red Bull.

Prior to today's verdict, a poll conducted on TSN.ca revealed 33-percent believed McLaren would be stripped of its constructors points. A combined 29-percent said McLaren would be thrown out of the 2007 and 2008 championship while 23-percent said they woudl only be fined. Only 15-percent said they would escape without any punishment.

Justice is done! But I'm happy for the drivers, I was hoping they wouldn't get touched. Right decisions, at least this season still makes sense by having 2 drivers fighting for a title.
At the same time, I hope Ferrari refuses the constructor title if it will be given to them, this is a dirty season by now, it's a wasted season, we don't need such titles................... It's Dennis and all his spies who had to get punished, and it's good so.
I would have never expected this by Nigel Stepney, never, I'm so deceived of him, he worked for 15 years for Ferrari, and this was his man's thickness.........................................I'm nauseated..................:yuck:

This was the only punishment that was acceptable. Punish the team and not the drivers. I'm glad Alonso and Hamilton weren't dragged down with the team.

I was expecting something like this to happen: a complete ban for this season and the next would have been too much.

Ferrari got many times penalties, MonteCarlo, Hungary last year, or the Schumacher-Villeneuve trouble in Jerez in 1997

These were blatant penalties that were broadcast on global tv, of course they would have been penalised, they had no choice but to.

Ok let's be fair here. To say spying and industrial secrets haven't switched hands with F1 teams over the years, including Ferrari, would be naive to say the least. McLaren got it's hand caught in the cookie jar, and let's not forget, a Ferrari employee was the one who opened it.

Slipstream said:

McLaren got it's hand caught in the cookie jar, and let's not forget, a Ferrari employee was the one who opened it.

What do you want to say with this?
If Mike Coughlan would have been honest, he and all his teammates, he/they wouldn't have had any troubles. He could have had even reported it to FIA, that Nigel Stepney was trying to do spying affairs. Instead, no! He liked to have and to use Ferrari's dates, and Ron Dennis liked it, too! This is the right punishment, come on............. They're lucky they got not penalized for 2-3 years..................now it's too late to weep, and to make all those silly innocents statements that they're doing, they better shut up and put the head in the sand like ostrichs......................

Last edited:
This is what nailed McLaren, Pedro De La Rosa's mail to Alonso:

"All the informations we got over Ferrari are relieable. They come from Nigel Stepney, their former mechanic leader. I don't know what's his role now. He's the same person who said us that Kimi would have stopped at the 18th lap in Australia"

And Dennis keeps denying?
No words.............................................:tsk:

Back
Top Bottom