The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another shutout for Philly...some of the starch is out of the Devils these days.

THRASHERS 5, RANGERS 3

With new coach, Thrashers finally get first win
Lehtonen hurt in goal

By CRAIG CUSTANCE
AJC - Published on: 10/18/07

There are no guarantees this season can still be turned around. One win doesn't erase six losses. But if the Thrashers are going to salvage this season, and accomplish the goals they set over the summer, it had to start Thursday night.

The Rangers were in town, the team that swept the Thrashers out of the playoffs and ultimately set in motion the firing of coach Bob Hartley. And if the Thrashers continued their losing with Don Waddell behind the bench in his first game as Hartley's replacement, the doubts would remain. And grow thicker.

But with the weight of uncertainty over the coach lifted, the Thrashers came out flying and beat the Rangers 5-3, scoring the first four goals of the game to earn their first win of the season.

For six games, everything that could go wrong, did. For one game, it was the complete opposite. Pascal Dupuis and Todd White each got their first goals of the season. The Thrashers scored just seconds into a 5-on-3 advantage, something they hadn't done in a long time. The power play looked good. The penalty kill was solid. Garnet Exelby was leveling people. The Thrashers even got a short-handed goal.

"We did everything right tonight," said Bryan Little, whose second goal of the season ended up being the game-winner. "Some of those other games, we were making mistakes that ended up goals. We didn't really make a lot of mistakes."

And in doing so, they made Waddell a winner in his first game back behind the bench as Thrashers coach. And for at least one game, it validated the move to remove Hartley as coach.

Backup goalie Johan Hedberg was sprung into action in the first period when starting goalie Kari Lehtonen hurt his groin. Lehtonen had to leave the game after making nine saves in what was starting to look like his best performance of the season. Even after hurting his groin, he scrambled to make two key saves, including a one-timer from Ryan Callahan to preserve the early lead.

But as soon as the Rangers' power play was over, Lehtonen slowly skated off the ice, banging the boards with his stick in frustration as Hedberg got loose to take over.

The groin injury is more serious than the one Lehtonen suffered in training camp, although it's not the same injury. He'll get an MRI exam done in the next couple of days, after the swelling goes down.

In the meantime, Waddell said he's leaning toward calling up top prospect Ondrej Pavelec, who is 2-0 for the Chicago Wolves, to back up Hedberg.

It was the only negative in a big win for the Thrashers. Waddell convinced his team that this is the start of a new season. In his mind, the team entered the game 0-0. If only he could sell that idea to those in charge of the standings.

"It's a new season for us; we're starting from scratch," Dupuis said. "Hopefully they'll come in bunches now."

If there was any doubt that there was bad blood between these two teams left over from the playoffs, it was removed with some physical play in the final few minutes of the game. The penalties started piling up on both sides. Steve McCarthy left the game after a fight with Ryan Hollweg in the final few minutes. At one point, two or three different Rangers players took a run at Exelby after he flattened Petr Prucha in front of the Rangers' bench.

"I think there was some bad blood between a few guys," Hedberg said. "It's going to carry over -- whatever happens in these games gets put in the back of guys' heads."

And now this happens ... Chicago's worst fears have been answered. There goes their season. :tsk:

THRASHERS RECALL NETMINDER PAVELEC FROM WOLVES
10/19/2007 10:31 AM

The Atlanta Thrashers have recalled goaltender Ondrej Pavelec from the Chicago Wolves. In addition, the Thrashers have reassigned netminder Dan Turple from the ECHL's Gwinnett Gladiators to the Wolves.

PAVELEC is the second Wolves player to be called up to the National Hockey League this season. The 20-year-old netminder has led the Wolves to a 2-0-0-0 record in his professional debut, notching a 1.49 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage (43 saves on 46 shots), both second among American Hockey League rookies.

TURPLE posted an 18-13-2 record with a 3.77 goals-against average and a .870 save percentage in 34 outings with Gwinnett last season during his professional debut. Atlanta's sixth choice, 186th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, TURPLE appeared in two of Chicago's three preseason tilts in September before being assigned to the Gladiators.

Wow, those East Coast league numbers for Turple aren't great...but he's a young guy so you'd assume/hope that experience will help.

I'm hoping that Brathwaite plays alot more in net over Turple. :pray:

They should never have released last season's goaltender, Garnett ... he could have helped alot more than Turple in this situation. :up:

I feel your pain. When I was going to games in Hartford the Rangers were forever recalling Dan Cloutier, Marc Savard, and PJ Stock. We had Robb Stauber though, and he was OK...and they brought in Jason Muzzatti. The Rangers were really trying to build a following in Hartford that first year so they had quite a few veterans on the club...we took a lot of pride in the fact that we out-drew the Carolina Hurricanes those first seasons.

BonoManiac said:

He spent a couple of seasons in Anaheim and now he's in Columbus.

Oh, and it's Sergei Fedorov :wink:

does anyone know the reason why he left the red wings? they had a dynasty holding up with chris chelios and some other good guy.

did chelios ever come back from luge. I remember seeing that in the paper when the lock out happend, that he went to luge :huh:...

tpsreports2424 said:

does anyone know the reason why he left the red wings? they had a dynasty holding up with chris chelios and some other good guy.

did chelios ever come back from luge. I remember seeing that in the paper when the lock out happend, that he went to luge :huh:...

Fedorov became a free-agent in the summer of 2003 and signed with Anaheim, for more $$.

And as for Chelios, I think the luge thing was just for the Olympics and I don't think he was that serious about it. He's 45 years-old and still playing at a level that's better than man NHL defensemen.

There's a expression: Only two things would survive a nuclear explosion: cockroaches and Chris Chelios. :wink:

He's on record, I believe, as saying he'd like to play until he's 50, if possible.

WOLVES HOG TIE ROCKFORD WITH 5-4 OVERTIME WIN
10/19/2007 10:10 PM

ROSEMONT, Ill.---Center Jason Krog scored with 25.2 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Chicago Wolves a 5-4 come-from-behind victory over the Rockford IceHogs on Friday night.

Left wing Jordan LaVallee scored twice for Chicago (3-0-0), which overcame a 4-2 first period deficit to capture their third straight win on the young season. Krog iced the game when he collected a rebound and hammered the team's fourth power-play goal of the game past IceHogs netminder Corey Crawford. Krog has notched goals in all three games this season.

"We got better as the game went on," said Wolves Head Coach John Anderson. "They are a good hockey team, which makes this a very big win. This is a tough division to play in."

Down 4-2 midway through the second period, Wolves center Steve Martins cut the deficit to 4-3 when he posted a power-play goal. Martins grabbed a feed behind net and banked a centering feed off of an IceHog defender that trickled by Crawford at the 8:33 mark of the middle stanza.

Martins collected an assist on the game-winner, as did linemate Alexandre Giroux, who dished out two helpers in the contest.

LaVallee knotted the game at four apiece when he pounded home a power-play goal with 3:17 remaining in the third period. Krog fired a shot from the top of the circle that Crawford kicked out before LaVallee it fired into net.

Crawford (1-2-0) posted 28 saves.

Defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski's first goal as a member of the Wolves opened the scoring 4:08 into the contest. With Chicago pressing on the power play, Kwiatkowski picked up a loose puck in the slot and hammered a shot past Crawford. Center Tomas Pospisil picked up his first professional point with an assist on the goal.

LaVallee pushed Chicago's lead to 2-0 at the 5:06 mark of the opening stanza when he flew down the right wing, took a pass from right wing Joey Crabb, and drilled a shot past Crawford.

Rockford (3-1-1-0) would quickly tie the game and move ahead with four straight goals, starting with two power-play markers in the middle stage of the opening period. First, right wing Troy Brouwer picked off a clearing attempt by Wolves goaltender Fred Brathwaite and sunk a man-advantage marker into the net at 7:51 of the opening stanza. Center Martin St. Pierre followed suit and tallied a power-play goal of his own at the 9:05 mark.

Brathwaite (1-0-0) recorded 19 saves in his first appearance of the season.

The IceHogs opened up their first lead of the tilt on a short-handed goal off the stick of center Jake Dowell. Dowell grabbed a long feed in the neutral zone, skated toward the net, and flung a wrist shot past Brathwaite at 12:33 of the first frame.

Rockford extended its lead to 4-2 after defenseman Prestin Ryan stuffed home a power-play goal with 5:10 remaining in the first period.

After a day off, Chicago travels to Peoria to battle the Rivermen on Sunday at 3 p.m.

So far, so good. :bow:

Freddy Brathwaite did a mediocre performance last night for the Chicago AHL team. But, he hasn't played since last season's playoffs back in May. So again, a little rusty. Hopefully, things will continue to 'look good' for the Wolves as the season progresses. I think Freddy will better improve too, once he gets used to playing again. :up:

The important thing is for them to 'limit' Turple's play ... otherwise, they may need to beg for Pavelec's return alot sooner. :yes:

Damn Atlanta !! ... They should have taken Brathwaite to fill their situation crisis. They don't need Pavelec to be there to 'sit and look pretty' for Atlanta while Lehtonen recovers from his 'once again' groin injury. All Pavelec will be doing is sitting on the bench while watching Hedberg in goal for the Thrashers team. Considering he was chosen as the Thrashers 'goaltending prospect' for the future ... how can he get the experience he needs to be at the NHL level by sitting on the bench ?? :hmm:

This is ridiculous. :tsk:

MsMofo you're from Chicago, right? I know you're a Wolves fan, and that's great, but you should really start paying attention to the Chicago Blackhawks.

The 'Hawks have a solid young nucleaus with Patrick Kane,18, Jonathan Toews,19, and Martin Havlat (when he's not injured) 26 or 27. Tonight they came from behind to beat the Maple Leafs (ok, in itself not a GREAT accomplishment) but at 5-3-0 for the season, things are looking good for the franchise after years of toiling in the depths of mediocrity.

I submit to you the best goal of the season thus far, courtesy of Toews. This guy will be a superstar in this league, you can count on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM

On that note, I know that the season is still young but it I think it bodes well for hockey in the U.S. when teams in so-called traditional "hockey towns" such as Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Boston, Chicago and Minnesota—to name a few— are doing well and have relatively young teams, which means they can only get better.

Sorry to say BonoManiac, I am NOT a Blackhawks fan, nor will I ever be one. :tsk:

There's rivalry between the AHL Wolves and the NHL Blackhawks ... it's been that way for years. :yes:

I am going to the UC next Saturday to see the Blackhawks play against Atlanta's Thrashers. :up:

I hope the Thrashers can get outta their slump and beat the Blackhawks. :pray:

They need to do so since Atlanta's affilliate is The Chicago Wolves and they beat the Blackhawk's affilliate The Rockford Icehogs last Friday evening. :bow:

Former Wolves players Brett Sterling, Bryan Little and Mark Popovic made the Thrashers team this season. And also, current Wolves players, Darren Haydar and Ondrej Pavelec, were called up to the Thrashers team because of injured players. :ohmy:

So, being a Wolves fan ... you can see who I'll be rooting for ... C'MON THRASHERS !! :yippie:

Last edited:
A rivalvry between an AHL team and an NHL team?

Ok, but you do realize that NHL affiliation can change, so what would happen if the Wolves become the 'Hawks farm tean, a la Philadelphia Phantoms and Flyers?

That goal by Toews was just ridiculous. Also Crosby had a nice one in the shootout the other night.

BonoManiac said:
A rivalvry between an AHL team and an NHL team?

Ok, but you do realize that NHL affiliation can change, so what would happen if the Wolves become the 'Hawks farm tean, a la Philadelphia Phantoms and Flyers?

I'm not saying it could NEVER happen. But, The Atlanta Thrashers organization has had the (AHL) Chicago Wolves and the (ECHL)Gwinnett Gladiators as their affilliates for a very long time. I don't see that changing ANYTIME soon.

The Chicago Blackhawks just got The Rockford Icehogs as their affilliate this year. So yeah, being both teams (the Blackhawks and The Wolves) are Chicago named , I would think their would be some kinda rivalry because they have different NHL organizations.

Last edited:
^ I think there probably is. Not between the actual teams & players of course, but I'm sure there's a fan rivalry.

If the Wolves were ever affiliated with the 'Hawks would you start supporting the 'Hawks? I really think the situation with the Philly Flyers & Phantoms is ideal; the Flyers draw well and fans have the opportunity to cross the street and see the Flyers prospects with the Phantoms.

Man the Devils are hurting so far. Brodeur is definitely not on his A-game, for the first time in years Devils are dead last in penalty killing.

Oh, and Gomez? Yea, that's a waste of $10 million his first season - he has 3 points in 8 games. If I was shelling out $10 million to someone, I'd expect much more production from them.

Will the Rangers ever learn???

The Chicago Wolves are having their BEST start in the history of their franchise. :up:

They have a PERFECT record of 5-0 at the moment. It's amazing, they're undefeated. :applaud:

Now, it's sad their NHL organization team, The Thrashers, are doing so-ooo terribly. :sad:

But on a GREATER note ... the Thrashers AHL Wolves are beating the pants off ANY of the NHL teams ... Period !! :lol:

I hope the Wolves can continue their winning streak. Impressive !! :bow:

Originally posted by BonoManiac
What do you mean?

The Wolves have a perfect start for their team.
They are undefeated. So far, 5 games played and 5 games won, no losses. :applaud:

Is their ANY other team (AHL/NHL) with a perfect record so far ??

:hmm: I don't recall hearing about any with that kinda staus !! :tsk:

MsMofoGone said:

The Wolves have a perfect start for their team.
They are undefeated. So far, 5 games played and 5 games won, no losses. :applaud:

Is their ANY other team (AHL/NHL) with a perfect record so far ??

:hmm: I don't recall hearing about any with that kinda staus !! :tsk:

So?

And, I'm sorry, but comparing AHL/NHL is like comparing apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom